(Former) 9W2 owners rejoice! Class Action Settlement

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Module installed in our car yesterday. We have the navigation system, so as chetstash said, I am now able to use the phone button on the radio to access the phonebook, dial numbers, etc. I also have the voice command functions to dial numbers by voice command. As mentioned earlier, the overhead light no longer functions to indicate bluetooth linkage, but if I need to know, I'm sure I could just hit the phone button on the nav/radio unit. Overall, it is working quite well.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
Keep in mind that VW disabled the overhead BT LED light in all vehicles as of 2011. They had received many complaints that the LED light was a distraction. For some people the light reflected in the rear view mirror when the mirror was tilted up for night driving.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I have an RCD510. If I buy the 9W7 unit will I be able to display the phone book on the MFD/MCI. Thanks

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
I have an RCD510. If I buy the 9W7 unit will I be able to display the phone book on the MFD/MCI. Thanks
Does your MFD presently show a overhead line drawing view of the car when a door is open?

If so, then you must have a "high-line" MFD and the MFD should show the phonebook. The presence or absence of the RCD-510 in the car is irrelevant as the 9W7 and MFD can communicate via the CANbus directly.

Last edited:

cowpotty

TDI
2010 JETTA JSW
I got the bluetooth module upgrade done today. I get voice assistance on calls but phone book, etc. will not come up on the small screen display. Dealership went through the process twice and still does not work. Any idea what might be the problem.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Does your MFD presently show a overhead line drawing view of the car when a door is open?

If so, then you must have a "high-line" MFD and the MFD should show the phonebook. The presence or absence of the RCD-510 in the car is irrelevant as the 9W7 and MFD can communicate via the CANbus directly.
Yes it does, so that is good news. I am wondering how hard to upgrade to RNS-510, if I can buy a used one and slide it in?

Not 100% but from previous posts the Settlement unit does not display the phonebook on the MFD high-line or not. That is where the RNS-510 comes in, you can display phone book there via the radio. For us with RCD-510's the settlement unit gives you voice calling, that is all. That why I am passing on my upgrade unit, but considering a 9W7 out of pocket.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Yes it does, so that is good news. I am wondering how hard to upgrade to RNS-510, if I can buy a used one and slide it in?

Not 100% but from previous posts the Settlement unit does not display the phonebook on the MFD high-line or not. That is where the RNS-510 comes in, you can display phone book there via the radio. For us with RCD-510's the settlement unit gives you voice calling, that is all. That why I am passing on my upgrade unit, but considering a 9W7 out of pocket.
Just so you know, the newest version of the RCD510 has a phone button and displays the phone information. It also has HD radio. I'm just thinking it might cost much less to get the new RCD510, rather than the RNS510.

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Frustrations with "upgrade" system

Have had the new module for about a week now and am really feeling the absence of the visual phonebook in the display. There are some voice prompts - and basic ones at that - that the system does not seem to recognize. When I ask to call "Home" I get a non-recognition response though it is an entry in my contacts, and when I request a call to "Voicemail," when it finally does recognize the request the system pronounces it something along the lines of "voy-a-mail." Other names in my contacts do not seem to pose a problem; one would think home and voicemail would be programmed in to be recognized. Of course, being able to scroll through a written list (as should be available) would mitigate the issue a good deal.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I just bought a used 2010 TDI, can I still get the module replaced with the 9w7?
You can purchase a 9w7 module but probably not get reimbursed through the lawsuit.

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
FWIW -- I decided against having the dealer install the new upgraded BT module. Not enough positives to make it worthwhile for me

This is a based on:

1) reading what other users discovered about this part and how it worked out of them.

2) the realization that in all likelihood I'll never see a caller ID or have a phone book display on anything other than my fone -- I have the basic RCD-510 and not a RNS-510 (which from all reports can display fonebook).

3) not needing voice initiated call making from the dash (as I have it on the fone already). I don't initiate all that many calls anyway; receive calls yes.....and the existing system is good for that, so no need to "upgrade"

I also kind of dig that little green status light and don't necessarily want to give that up. I realize there's a display that shows connection, but I like the simplicity of the light and it's not bothersome day or nite.

So I guess I'll call the dealer and tell them they can give my part to someone else.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I just bought a used 2010 TDI, can I still get the module replaced with the 9w7?
1) The time to apply for a 9W7 reimbursement is over.
2) The time to applying for what is called the "settlement unit" I also think is a ship that has sailed.
3) To be eligible you have to testify one of the prime reasons you bought the car was because of "hands free" BT. Not sure if you have to be the first original owner or not.
4) If you don't have a RNS510 or late model RCD510 radio with the phone button, the "settlement unit" apparently will not display the phone book on the MFD/MFI, so all you get is voice commands, "CALL MOM"....
5) The stock system works well for incoming calls.
6) You can buy a new 9W7 unit for under $300, delevered to the door. For me a 9w7 will get me the phone directory on the MFD (but you need a high line MFD, which I have). As I said in #4, the settelment unit does not give you phone book on MFD regardless of radio you have.....

Last edited:

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2) The time to applying for what is called the "settlement unit" I also think is a ship that has sailed.
3) To be eligible you have to testify one of the prime reasons you bought the car was because of "hands free" BT. Not sure if you have to be the first original owner or not.
4) If you don't have a RNS510 or late model RCD510 radio with the phone button, the "settlement unit" apparently will not display the phone book on the MFD/MFI, so all you get is voice commands, "CALL MOM"....
6) You can buy a new 9W7 unit for under $300, delevered to the door. For me a 9w7 will get me the phone directory on the MFD (but you need a high line MFD, which I have). As I said in #4, the settelment unit does not give you phone book on MFD regardless of radio you have.....
Spot on, sir!

kamtdi

TDI
JSW 2010
Just have the bluetooth upgrade kit installed in my JSW 2010 today. I love it, I can finally use voice command to made a call , yes it is correct I have no phone book and the green light indicator is no more. but that is okay. I think the upgrade is totally worth it. never have to look at my phone to made a call while driving

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Just have the bluetooth upgrade kit installed in my JSW 2010 today. I love it, I can finally use voice command to made a call , yes it is correct I have no phone book and the green light indicator is no more. but that is okay. I think the upgrade is totally worth it. never have to look at my phone to made a call while driving
It seems like a huge RIP-OFF to me Somebody getting rich over this!!

Me I am as Happy as a Clam! I sold the POS 9W2 of VWVortex for $50 turned around and Bought a 9W7 that works perfectly by the way and my address book is right there! from Steve Z1 for 325 and got a check for 325 last month

itchytweed

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Just had mine put in today. Paired right up and works just fine. Not having the address book come up on the MFD is not a dealbreaker but having the voice commands is far better and safer, at least to me, since I don't have a ton of names in my directory.

CBRacerX

TDI
JSW 2010
It seems like a huge RIP-OFF to me Somebody getting rich over this!!
Exactly. What a huge bummer this settlement is. We got exactly one thing - voice command. I just spent about half an hour with VCDS trying to make sure the MFI support was really removed - and indeed it is. There is no coding option to enable the display. What a crock!

VWOA goes out of their way to make a special module that does nothing more than provide voice command, despite having a decent module on the shelf (9w7) that would delight their customers. Which I am seriously considering no longer being.

Very disappointing. Lawyers win, customers lose.

Robpol86

TDI
2010 JSW
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would share this.
I remember reading about how the phonebook wouldn't load on these settlement units, and I had the same problem with my old android phone (Galaxy Nexus).
However when I paired my Nexus 4 (android 4.2) to the unit, the phonebook loaded!
I was very dissapointed that the MFD wouldn't display anything with this unit but having my contact's name show up on my RNS510 is better than nothing. I guess I'm not too upset after all.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot
6) You can buy a new 9W7 unit for $250 or less ($150 often on eBay), delivered to the door. For me a 9w7 will get me the phone directory on the MFD (but you need a high line MFD, which I have). As I said in #4, the settlement unit does not give you phone book on MFD regardless of radio you have.....

and check out:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4066045&postcount=459

Last edited: