How to trouble shoot flakey cruise control

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
My cruise control started to go flakey a few months ago. It worked, but would cut out if I used my left turn signal sometimes. Then it got worse and would cut out everytime I used my left turn signal. And finally, last night, it wouldn't work at all unless I jiggled the switch. So I thought I would need a new signal stalk? But I thought I would run some tests with the Vag-com to find out what the problem was before shelling out some $$$.

Now there are several things that can cause your cruise to cut out or not work at all. The brake switch, the clutch switch, and of course the cruise control switch. So I pulled out the Vag-com and ran some tests. I knew my problem was in the CC switch, but here is how to test the other switches too.

First thing you need to do is go to the engine controler and look in measuring blocks 6. Here is the info about that measuring block from MoGolfs excellent thread:

Group 006 (test with ignition switch on)

Speed
Brake pedal monitor
Cruise control system
Cruise control system (indicates if activated, 0 = activated but switched off, 1 = activated, swtiched on, 255 = not activated)

Cruise control system left digit: Clutch switch closed (clutch not depressed) = 0, 1 = clutch depressed
Cruise control system middle digit: CC/DFI brake pedal switch open (brake pedal depressed) = 1, 0 = pedal not depressed
Cruise control system right digit: brake light switch depressed pedal = 1, not depressed = 0

Right cruise control system 6 digit display has a 1, left to right, when:
Clutch operated
Brake pedal operated
Resume speed operated on the switch
Acceleration operated on the switch
Cruise control and memory switched off
Cruise controll system switched on
So here is a screen shot of MB 6:

Here are some examples of what happens when you push each pedal or function:

Clutch depressed:

Brake depressed:

Acceleration activated:

Resume activated:

Now these are just some examples. In my case, the clutch & brake switch worked fine, so I could rule those out. If you do not get any signal when you push either of those pedals, its likely you have a defective switch.

My problem was the CC switch itself. I noticed that the second number from the right would flicker on & off when I jiggled the on off switch. It was the indicator for CC & memory switched off:

This must have been an intermittent connection in the switch, causing my CC to be flakey and work sometimes and not others. So I removed the switch cover to expose the contacts & cleaned them with some contact cleaner.

To remove the cover, use a flat screwdriver or equivilant and gently pry it off:

This will expose the contacts inside. If you move the switch from one side to the other, you can see the contact points:

I just sprayed some contact cleaner in there and bingo, no more flakey cruise:

Now I know this is just my experience. I don't expect it to help all of you, so don't go hacking your switch apart and doing this unless you have a Vag-com to test the real reason your CC does not work. Most times it is a faulty switch. We all know how high quality the VW switches are

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
My cruise control did not work for about a year and I could never figure out what it was. I ran the vag-com on it and kept replacing the clutch and brake switch only to find out that the LED taillights i installed had a small capacitor on them and as soon as it was charged the lights would always stay on slightly. It was not noticable throught the taillights but if you took them out and looked then u could tell they were on. So my LED taillights caused the cruise to not work.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
Hey Wingnut,
That is one he*l of a screwdriver you have there my lad. It slices, it dices, it turns flathead screws and is a dandy prybar. Good post.
Paul aka Jump62
ps. wonder if my K-Bar would be a handy addition to my toolBox
?

Moo Car

Veteran Member
Wingnut.

I hope you have more problems with your car. The more problems you fix (and post) the easier time I’ll have fixing my car when it breaks.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
wingnut, what's that thingamajig hanging off your air vent?
Sorry, I should have cleaned it before I took the pictures. That is a cup holder. And as you can see, it does a good job of keeping sticky coffee off my radio. It just clips to the vents and can hold a LARGE cup of coffee. I got it at Canadaian Tire for $10, so I'm sure you could find one at Pep Boys or Autozone or something.

TOBarber

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf SportWagon, 2012, dark gray
I have a new-to-me 2000 Golf TDI Automatic. The cruise control works very well and if anything, when I use "resume", it accelerates economically in a higher gear than I could achieve with the accelerator pedal. My problem is that the "light" on the dash has never worked. I see it there in the manual, but I have never seen it on the dash. It is no problem really, but for peace of mind and for the safety of my wife and children is this a simple bulb replacement?

Bill

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I have a 2000 Golf also and no light in the dash. I think it only comes on some models or Jettas only. Mine never worked if there is one

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I think the light was added sometime in 2002. But most people don't like it... it does not show when the system is active, only when the switch is in the 'ON' posistion.

-Jason

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Yep, only on 2002 & newer cars. If you want the light, you have to get a new cluster and ECM. Thats a lotta bucks for a little green light.

warrenite

TDI
2000 Jetta, TDI
Wingnut, thanks.

Our local VW shop worked on my wife's 86 Jetta for a couple of hours just to come to the conclusion that the cruise computer was flaky, he is loking for a used cruise controller, I'm going to pick up some contact cleaner she has the same simptoms.

Cheers, John

TOBarber

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf SportWagon, 2012, dark gray
I agree, too much expense. I haven't had cruise control for the last 10 years. I have a NA diesel van. The Golf cruise control sometimes catches me unawares if I have the cruise on, speed up and then coast a bit. The cruise resumes as the speed gets down to the set point. Just a minor thing and I am getting used to it now.

Bill

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I have 2001 Golf and I don't have cruise light either its only newer Jettas have it I believe, because my friend has 2004 Jetta and he has it.

DerekA86

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver
Did any of you have to watch the "Primitive Pete" videos in shop class in grade school? Love the flathead.

bennyvatten

TDI
Audi 80 Avant 1,9tdi
I've been trying to set up a DIY cruise on a 1994 Audi 80 B4 tdi. I found the connector under dashboard. There are 5 wires. One is red/white, it has +12v when ignition is on. I used vag-com to figure out the others: If I connect red/blue to red/white (+12v) the Cruise control field in measuring block 6 changes from 000000 to 000010. What does this do?
If I connect yellow/black to red/white (+12v) it changes to 000001. Should this set the cruise on? But it doesn't set the speed?
If I connect red/yellow to red/white (+12v) it changes to 000100. Is this accelerate?
If I connect blue to red/white (+12v) it changes to 001000. Is this resume?
I wan't to set up a basic DIY cruise with set and resume. How should i connect the wires and what kind switches I need? I've already enabled the cruise with vag-com. I tested it on the road with the following setup: I connected a wire from the red/white (+12v) to a momentary action pushbutton. From the pushbutton I connected a wire to the yellow/black wire. I thought that this should set the speed and also set the cruise on. But nothing happened. The cruise control field just showed 000001 momentarily, but the last field of measuring block 6 still showed 0.0. This means that the cruise is activated but not on?
What is missing? What do I need to do to get the cruise on and also to make set and resume work?
I realize that maybe this is not the right forum, but the previous posts made me post here. Good thread with good info.
Addition: when i press the clutch first digit changes from 0 to 1. If I press brake pedal second digit changes from 0 to 1. Normal?

Last edited:

gtveloce

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Silver 5dr Golf TDI 5spd (RIP)
Will the VAG-COM procedure work with a A3 2.slow, since it's not drive-by-wire? I am afraid to use the cruise on my A4 because i am afraid of breaking the switch, which i am quite sure i did on the A3 (I used the turn signal way too much i guess, sometimes the turn signal doesn't even turn on! :mad: )

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI
so I used this to diginose,
I got:
change when depress Brake
Change when turn on cruise
change when press set botton
change when I hit resume

NO CHANGE when press clutch pedel... where is the switch related to this?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Now I got to follow this thread so I could fix my cruise. Great write up wingnuts.

Rick Blalock

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Awesome write up! I finally was able to find someone in my area who had a VAG-COM and we ran this test on my car. For starters, I have a 2000 Jetta with a stick. My cruise control started goin flakey when I would flip the right turn signal and within a day stopped completely. I tried sprayin out the switch with electrical contract cleaner and Deoxit, nothing worked.

Today with the Vag-Com hooked up, the brake switch, clutch switch, accel/resume, on/off, set/decel ALL WORKED. However, it was the second digit from the right that would stay at "0" unless i turned my right turn signal on! So, I immediately thought, "i'd bet my cruise control would work if i had my turn signal on!" And it did...

So, I already have a new switch coming from Impex, only 50 bucks for a German brand stalk. I'm assuming that there is a break in the wiring that goes from the stalk to the connector in the steering column and that the wire connection is completed when the stalk is physically moved into the up (right turn signal) position.

I'll post my results once I get the new switch put in...
BTW, does anyone know where I can get the procedures for pullin the steering wheel and replacing this switch??

Thanks all!

Rick

Rick Blalock

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Just an update: I replaced my cruise control switch today with a non-oem part from impex called German. Its feels a bit cheaper than the oem stalk and the ribbon is already kinked a little bit coming out of the stalk so i plan on taking advantage of the 1 year warranty... but for 50 bucks its hard to beat, especially if another oem one will eventually have the same problem! And yes, it did fix my cruise control problem as expected ;)

Rick

Ironforger

Veteran Member
My cruise control had been acting up for a while. It would simply turn off when I used the left turn signal. Then it stopped working altogether.

Checked it with vag-com as outlined here in this thread. the brake switch, clutch switch, accel/resume, on/off, set/decel ALL WORKED. However, like Rick Blalock reported, it was the second digit from the right that would stay at "0" unless i turned my right turn signal on, then it changed to "l". I also noticed the same thing if I pulled the high beam lever towards me, as if to flash the high beams. So, I went out to test drive, turned on the right turn signal and the criuse control worked until I turned off the turn signal. Same deal with the high beams.

I ordered the "German" turn signal/highbeam/cruise control combo switch from Impex. I'll report my findings once I install and test it.

Anyone have pointers/tips on changing out this switch? We don't need to remove the steering wheel, do we?

Thanks!

Ironforger

Veteran Member
I changed out my turn signal/highbeam/cruise control combo switch. This fixed the problem. Cruise control works fine now.

The R&R required removal of the air bag and steering wheel. A friend of mine loaned me a special tool to remove the air bag. Made it easy. The tool is made by Assenmacher Specialty Tools (AST) http://www.asttool.com
and the tool part number is "VW 601"

On side note, I feel the instructions that came with the tool were a little backwards. I found that once the tool was inserted, I had to pull it up towards the roof of the car, this pushes the retaining spring towards the center of the steering wheel, thus releasing the airbag. The instructions with the tool mentioned somewhat the oposite.