Has anyone thats keeping their TDi got a settlement check yet?

krayz

TDI
passat se
I have a 2013 Passat TDI and now VW is saying I wont get my settlement check until my car gets modified. I doubt they will ever come up with a fix so I'm sure I will never get paid.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This has always been the case. If you choose the buyback, you get paid when they buy back your car. If you choose the fix, you get paid after the fix is made. No fixes have yet been approved by the courts. Therefore no body has been paid after getting a fix. There has to be an approved fix before they can do it. There is a very good chance that there will be a fix for your car, but not yet. You either take the buyout now or you wait for the fix. There are no other options. Sorry.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. If they do not come with an "approved" fix, they will buy back your car. It is as simple as that. You get paid either way.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
They've been saying all along that folks who opt for the "fix" will receive their money after the fix is completed. Nothing new here.

krayz

TDI
passat se
This has always been the case. If you choose the buyback, you get paid when they buy back your car. If you choose the fix, you get paid after the fix is made. No fixes have yet been approved by the courts. Therefore no body has been paid after getting a fix. There has to be an approved fix before they can do it. There is a very good chance that there will be a fix for your car, but not yet. You either take the buyout now or you wait for the fix. There are no other options. Sorry.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. If they do not come with an "approved" fix, they will buy back your car. It is as simple as that. You get paid either way.
How hard can the fix be? The car already runs clean while its being tested for emissions, so why not make it run like that all the time.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
How hard can the fix be? The car already runs clean while its being tested for emissions, so why not make it run like that all the time.
That could be done - at the expense of power and mileage. Would you still be as happy with your car if it only got 25 mpg? ...or if it had significantly less power?
An easy fix is usually not a good fix. I do not have the chemistry and emissions knowledge necessary to speculate about the design of a "fix" that is perfect. I also seriously doubt that VW/Bosch has that knowledge either. They will come up with the best compromise they can find. It will either be approved or not. One thing we can probably be pretty sure about is that it will probably not be simple.

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
According to our local dealer owner fixes are undergoing testing now. The EPA is being firm about VW demonstrating durability of the fixes, which, for obvious reasons, takes time. FWIW he's confident that a fix for the Gen 1 cars will be available first, and pretty soon. Gen 3 will follow, with a two-stage fix. For reasons I don't understand the Gen 2 cars (NMS Passat) are the most difficult to make compliant. That fix will probably be available last.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^It may be that the programming of the NMS Passat was already at a limit of some sort?

However, what you stated seems counter-intuitive to me. I would think the earlier (2009, single-piece exhaust) would be harder to bring into compliance, w/o very serious software/hardward re-engineering.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Nope. Gen 1 is easy, largely because of the lowered threshold for emissions negotiated with the EPA. New exhaust hardware, sensors, and a re-flash seems to be where those cars are headed.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Starting to make sense, although I still can't get my head around VWoA's willingness to replace the entire exhaust systems on the 2009s. $$$!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Economy, longevity, and performance. Being fully compliant will reduce all three of these things. I would argue that longevity is the most important of these three. We already know that the 1st generation commonrails have emissions system longevity problems (cracked DPFs) and that the recent 23O6 software update attempted to address this longevity problem by making the vehicles cheat more.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Starting to make sense, although I still can't get my head around VWoA's willingness to replace the entire exhaust systems on the 2009s. $$$!
Don't be mislead by what dealers quote for the system replacement. It probably has nothing to do with its actual cost.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know that, but...it's still a huge chunk of hardware, for a vehicle that's 7 years old!

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
According to our local dealer owner fixes are undergoing testing now. The EPA is being firm about VW demonstrating durability of the fixes, which, for obvious reasons, takes time. FWIW he's confident that a fix for the Gen 1 cars will be available first, and pretty soon. Gen 3 will follow, with a two-stage fix. For reasons I don't understand the Gen 2 cars (NMS Passat) are the most difficult to make compliant. That fix will probably be available last.

Gen 1 not first, Gen 3 fix announced today.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Gen 1 not first, Gen 3 fix announced today.
Yep. From what I read in the Canadian settlement, it's a 2 part fix. You get a free oil change when you come back for the 2nd part.

The Canadian settlement docs mention a single service to get it fixed on NMS. At least things are going in the right direction.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It's VERY interesting that the gen 3 fix involves completely replacing the entire emissions control system all the way from the DPF to the DEF injector. Even after all of that work, most of these cars still don't meet the specs that they were originally certified to. I don't think any of us saw this coming. :eek:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
geeze, I feel bad for VW. meanwhile my Detroit 353 k5 project is coming along nicely- got to offset all that clean stuff ya know :)

krayz

TDI
passat se
Changing my settlement to buyback. Has anyone went with the 2017 Jetta s.e. 1.4? Dealership says this is what most people turning in there cars are going with.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
They have to wait until they get a large amount of these cars bought back then they can announce a fix and apply it to all the genuine VW used cars they can sell for twice the wholesale price.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Changing my settlement to buyback. Has anyone went with the 2017 Jetta s.e. 1.4? Dealership says this is what most people turning in there cars are going with.
I could not own a $$ vw that's not a diesel, way to many more reliable choices out there like the new accord hybrid that burns cheap regular and gets 55mpg

krayz

TDI
passat se
I could not own a $$ vw that's not a diesel, way to many more reliable choices out there like the new accord hybrid that burns cheap regular and gets 55mpg
I thought the same thing until I test drove a 2017 Passat R line. They are selling me this car for the same price VW is buying back my 13 TDI for, so its basically an even trade. I initially went in to look at the new Jettas that get 40mpg but they are too small and definitely a step down from the Passats. I looked at the Accord hybrids but I think they are ugly and almost 10k more.

Last edited:

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
changed my settlement from modification to buyback after the heater core went out and it wasn't covered anymore.....with the timing belt, heater core and window motor fix........it wasn't a hard decision for me, I'm at 120k on a 13 tdi 6speed.......will miss the car.
Time for something new.

ironically im looking at the 17 accord hybrid......