Alh Runaway Prevention?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The previous posts provide links to those stories about confirmation that the ECU "may" keep the ASV closed until the engine stops turning.....
There are numerous stories of folks "claiming" they turned off the ignition immediately upon realizing they had a runaway in progress but the engine continued to run....
Andy, in light of your cynicism, you need to provide citings of your assertion. These claims are probably the same as those of all the toyota drivers who KNEW they were standing on the brake pedal and yet the car wouldn't stop.

Cheers,

PH

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Andy, in light of your cynicism, you need to provide citings of your assertion. These claims are probably the same as those of all the toyota drivers who KNEW they were standing on the brake pedal and yet the car wouldn't stop.

Cheers,

PH

PH, that's why I used "may" in the first reference.

And, I do admit, although it has been a while since I read a story (old or recent) about a runaway episode, my gut recollection is that very few of the runaway stories were consistent from beginning to end as to how they commenced and finally unfolded. The one thing I do remember is that most of them happened so fast there was little time to determine the issue and react to it.

I am definitely interested in seeing what happens to my Boost Gauge when I turn off the engine and allow the momentum of the Van to keep the engine turning over. My Boost Gauge shows 0 to 30 psi and 0 to 30 inches of vacuum.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Shut the car off, open the hood and manually apply the ASV if it can't kill the engine in time.
The internet debate around this is not so much "is the ASV capable of stopping the air flow enough to stall the engine ?" and more so "does the ASV stay closed permanently when the key is shut off... or is it only programmed for 3-5 seconds ?".

In the driveway it closes for 3-5 seconds... but that's also how long the engine takes to shut off... so not particularly conclusive.

Hence the "long ride down a hill" thought experiment to see how long it actually stays closed, engine turning (and thus generating vacuum), key off. :)

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Somewhere there's a thread where a person tested their ASV valve by cutting ignition but leaving it in gear when driving. They showed the ASV stays shut until the RPM's are very low - regardless of time. Well at least for a few minutes when they did the test. It's somewhere on this forum.
Found it.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=278071
Sounds interesting...link, please and thanks?
Do my posts not show up for others?