1Z/AHU Power Steering Delete With AC, How To Drive Water Pump?

specialed1995

TDI
1Z 1.9 TDI from 1996 B4 Passat
I am doing a TDI conversion and will have to delete the power steering pump due to clearance issues, but I plan on using the factory AC compressor and was curious if it was possible to run this set up?

The water pump and p/s pump run off of the V-belt, while the AC compressor, alternator and tensioner on the serpentine belt. I know they make a water pump pulley for vehicles with no AC that make it run off the serpentine belt ([FONT=&quot]part number [/FONT][FONT=&quot]028 121 031 K)[/FONT], which would work for me if I could also run the AC Compressor using this method, but then the belt would have to be longer and routed differently, but I'm sure it can be done. Just wondering if anyone else has pulled it off before.

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
quantium td split water pump pully... some of the early b5 passats also have a split one

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Pulley number is 068121029A. Shims have a different number. Surprisingly, still available from the dealership for about $60.

Curious if the B5 pulley is the same.

-Todd

specialed1995

TDI
Forgive my ignorance, but what will installing this pulley do. Will the water pump still run off the V- Belt or will it run off the serpentine belt? And what belt will I need in order to run this pulley?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You run the V-belt. Don't know the size offhand, but that could be easily found. I'll figure that part out, when I get to it.

You add or remove shims to lessen or increase tension.

-Todd

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
If I remember right Im using a vr6 water pump pulley on my 1z with ac. Had to find the right size belt and roll it on, no adjustment. Been working for years.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
My 95 Golf with AAZ (Canadian) had AC alternator and WP on the serpentine belt and PS pump on a V belt. Try looking up the parts for one of those and see if that will help.

specialed1995

TDI
My 95 Golf with AAZ (Canadian) had AC alternator and WP on the serpentine belt and PS pump on a V belt. Try looking up the parts for one of those and see if that will help.
I looked up the belt diagrams for a 95 Golf with the AAZ on Alldata but these are the only pictures listed:

If you have a copy of the belt diagram for your vehicle that would be greatly appreciated. From the sounds of your setup I could do away with the V-belt and just use the serpentine to run everything. I just need to know the belt routing because I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which pulley did you find? Quantum or B5?

Here's the shim, referred to as washer... you'll need about five. 068121185B

-Todd

specialed1995

TDI

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The part numbers I supplied are both Quantum TD.

-Todd

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
In that pic the belt isn't even touching the pulley....that looks similar to a vr6 pulley. I have had several revisions... I remember the vr6 pulley I was using without the ac pump on. When I installed the ac pump I went back to a vee belt pulley. Honestly, I am not sure what it is off of. Knowing the parts I had around at the time, probably just a pulley off an IDI motor. One piece, and the right size belt will roll on without adjustment.

specialed1995

TDI
In that pic the belt isn't even touching the pulley....that looks similar to a vr6 pulley. I have had several revisions... I remember the vr6 pulley I was using without the ac pump on. When I installed the ac pump I went back to a vee belt pulley. Honestly, I am not sure what it is off of. Knowing the parts I had around at the time, probably just a pulley off an IDI motor. One piece, and the right size belt will roll on without adjustment.
I found this water pump pulley for sale on Ebay, Part # 027121028, it's for VW's 85-92:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Meyle-E...1210031-027121028-Volkswagen-VW-/281665868698

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
but in the pic the wp pully is not touching the belt...

if you had a longer serp belt, and the waterpump set up off a 98 b5 passat tdi (reverse flow) then can be made to work.. but a euro only, except the 2 in usa that vw sold, ass backwards waterpump system id just run the v belt..

specialed1995

TDI
but in the pic the wp pully is not touching the belt...

if you had a longer serp belt, and the waterpump set up off a 98 b5 passat tdi (reverse flow) then can be made to work.. but a euro only, except the 2 in usa that vw sold, ass backwards waterpump system id just run the v belt..

So just leave the current water pump pulley on, remove the power steering pump and mounting bracket, and find a V belt I can stretch over the water pump and crank pulleys in order to run the water pump would be my best bet?

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
no.. you buy the split pully... fab your own shims via 8mm washers of different thicknesses if need be

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
no.. you buy the split pully... fab your own shims via 8mm washers of different thicknesses if need be
I've been using the one piece pulley for years. No shims to mess with. Think about the KISS principal.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Are you referring to this pulley: Part #021121031D

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...3ifIMZlzUFoBtLQHsr_ThcswG5K4LPIxovRoC2Mvw_wcB

Also, through some more google searching I found a picture of a VW engine (I'm not sure what it is) with the perfect belt setup for my swap. Here it is:

That really doesn't look right. It seems the water pump is barely touching the belt! It the water pump pulley was slightly larger it could see this working better - perhaps it is just the angle of the photo?

specialed1995

TDI
That really doesn't look right. It seems the water pump is barely touching the belt! It the water pump pulley was slightly larger it could see this working better - perhaps it is just the angle of the photo?
I looked further along in the thread where I found the picture and you guys are correct, the belt is not touching in this picture. I didn't read the thread so I'm not sure what the user was putting the engine in, but I saw other pictures of him relocating the alternator and AC.

On that note, I thought about either trying to find or having a pulley make that was slightly larger than the VR6 pulley used in the picture, but space is obviously limited and I don't want anything rubbing.

I'm still not understanding the concept here, I've never seen a split pulley used before and still don't understand how this works.

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
goto the samba.. ask how to adjust the alt/gen on a bug.. or porsche 911/912.. the shims allow for the v area to be wider/thinner to make belt snug..

and imo.. rolling a v belt on to it a bad idea.. how would ya know the belt broke before ya cook it ? rolling it on you can break the inner structure of sald belt.. allowing it to come off while driving..

Last edited:

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I have run into this issues in the past with some T3 TDI swaps. I haven't retained the AC compressor in either case. I believe what I used was an early Mk III VR6 water pump pulley. I do not recall the part number offhand but
here is a photo of it. As you can see it's a totally different design than the photo shown on the engine above, it's a dished design. You can clearly see that the pulley is also a larger diameter.

specialed1995

TDI
I had a thought on how I could the setup shown in the previous picture I posted, I would just need to find a belt that was the correct length to make up for the re-routing.

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
AND buy the euro b5 passat reverse flow water pump set up.... cause the belt would turn it wrong direction

there were 2 1998 tdi b5 passats vw sold to people in the usa.... in searching out info on them you will find one who went thru all kinds of trouble to get a properwater pump to replace his bad one... its ben over 5 years since i read this info though and search here ended in 0 results... the etka of it was posted showing the unique housing and pump that fits it.. cannot just change the pump..

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I had a thought on how I could the setup shown in the previous picture I posted, I would just need to find a belt that was the correct length to make up for the re-routing.
I was thinking this was the answer while I was scrolling down to this picture. This would work.

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
belt on bottom of pully = wp turning clockwise... belt on top of it turns it ccw... so yes turns wrong direction

Last edited: