Flywheel weight

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
I'm starting a new build which will require a new adapter.
There are two flywheel options for this vehicle and I would like some input on which one is going to work best for the TDI swap.
I can get a 35lb flywheel or a 50lb one.
Since this is a trail rig with larger tires I'm thinking the 50lb one is going to help with low speed stalling?
I'm not too concerned with A to B acceleration, more interested in lower RPM crawling.
On my Jeep Cherokee I had to go to 4:10 gears to get reasonable low speed performance but don't want to have to change the 3.75 gears in this rig.
So, will the 50lb flywheel help me or will the 1.9 have trouble spinning it up?
Once I get things lined up I'll start a build thread.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
No trouble spinning it up. The main issue at play here is the moment of inertia. Obviously there are limitations to bellhousing sizes, but increasing the radius of the flywheel - specifically where the flywheel weight is concentrated - increases the moment of inertia by the square of the radius and only linearly with mass. The reason I'm saying this is that depending on the design, a 50# flywheel may have absolutely no advantage were MOI is concerned over a 35# one that has most of the weight concentrated on the perimeter and/or of a larger diameter. Are the flywheel options are considering off-the-shelf items? Seeing the detailed specs of what options you have will allow better evaluation of your needs. For context, a stock TDI single-mass (solid) flywheel is in the order of 25-30# and 228mm friction diameter. 240mm is a parts bin item.

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
They are both off the shelf and same diameter, just thicker around the outer edge. About 13" in Dia.
They are not a TDI flywheel, they are for my next custom engine swap.