www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old January 10th, 2017, 22:33   #1
whitedog
Veteran Member

Default Too many miles in my Jetta

So this winter has been pretty snowy locally so I parked the Jetta and have been driving my 1996 Dodge half ton and I have noticed that after 150,000 miles in the Jetta, I kinda get used to things.

The other day I was driving the truck and the sun was shining in that spot above the rearview mirror. So I reached up to flip down the little flap. I didn't just start reaching then realize it isn't there. Nope. I reached up and actually felt the headliner to pull it down.

It has manual windows, but I still find myself waiting for my left hand to roll up the window before my right hand shuts off the engine.

And when I reset the mechanical trip meter I will push and hold it. It just needs a push, ya idjit! No need to hold it.

But, even though Pirate gear is in opposite corners, I have only grabbed First instead of reverse once.

Yeah. Nothing important here, just my silly confession. Anyone else guilty of doing "Jetta things" In other cars?
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:00   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I have 3 cars. 1935 Ford sedan, 2004 Excursion 6.0, 2003 Beetle tdi. I always have the same thing happening. Get in the '35 and can't find the seat belt (there is none). Many differences between the Beetle and Excursion as well. I have to try and remember which car I am in.

Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 18:29   #3
JohnnyCanuck.Comox

going back and forth from my jdm forester to my wifes car or the golf, the wipers and signals are on opposite sides so I'm either turning the wipers on instead of the signal lights or visa versa.
JohnnyCanuck.Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 21:19   #4
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Heck - I was driving my son's 02 Jetta wagon (2.0/01M) for a month while I was fixing my car and pulled up to a stop sign and had my left foot stomp on a non existent clutch pedal more times than I care to admit. Only hit the brake once with the left foot and slid everything in the car to the front .
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 21:56   #5
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck.Comox View Post
going back and forth from my jdm forester to my wifes car or the golf, the wipers and signals are on opposite sides so I'm either turning the wipers on instead of the signal lights or visa versa.
That reminds of the time I was backing up a truck and instead of putting it in reverse, I turned on the left turn signal. I couldn't figure out why until I got back to work and drove the forklift. It has the FNR lever on the left side.
Old January 11th, 2017, 23:59   #6
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
That reminds of the time I was backing up a truck and instead of putting it in reverse, I turned on the left turn signal. I couldn't figure out why until I got back to work and drove the forklift. It has the FNR lever on the left side.
Opposite for me. In Arizona now getting reacquainted with the TDI. After 6000 miles with my EV (that has the FNR lever on the right side), I constantly hit the wipers.

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.
Oilerlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 14:34   #7
kiwibru
Veteran Member

Even worse is switching from a Right Hand drive auto to a Left Hand. I would always open the left side door to drive off in the Kei truck only to be left staring at the front window and then noticing the steering wheel was on the right side. That got lots of laughs from my friends who would be standing outside. My wife would always pretend to drive with an imaginary steering wheel when riding as a passenger!
Old January 12th, 2017, 15:16   #8
JohnnyCanuck.Comox

^^ my wife refuses to ride in my jdm forester, she said it feels to vulnerable to be near the lane of traffic. However, she has taken to my Golf and has 'stolen' it a few times instead of taking her '11 forester, she loves the 5 spd.
JohnnyCanuck.Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 20:52   #9
whitedog
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm not sure how I would do driving a RHD rig. Especially a manual transmission.
Old January 12th, 2017, 21:08   #10
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

I took my recently acquired 1971 VW Super Beetle for a short shake down ride around our block and was shocked when I hit the brakes as to how poor drum brakes are in relation to the discs in my Jetta TDI.

Looks like a disc conversion kit is in order for the old dog.
2003 Jetta resurrection thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457145
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 21:59   #11
whitedog
Veteran Member

Speaking of old dogs, that reminds me that I need to adjust the rear brakes on my Dodge truck. Funny thing about that thing is that all of the tie rod ends and the track bar ends are worn out and I didn't notice it until the guy at the alignment shop showed me. Now I notice the play and how much it wanders. I was blissfully ignorant before, now I notice how bad it is. $500 for parts then an alignment, but I'll wait until the spring when they get the roof repaired at the alignment shop.