HOW TO and do-it-yourself threads

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Hello, My 1999 1.9 TDI goes into limb mode when going up an incline at around 3000 RPM. I can also make it do it on the flat if I put the pedal to the floor. It will also idle rough when you are have the clutch in slowing down to stop. Once stopped, it goes back to a normal idle. I have replaced the wastegate valve, turbo boost solenoid and cleaned the mass air flow sensor. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Better to put this in the MK4 section but since you asked....

Diagnose it by reading the fault codes first. You may have replaced everything but the faulty parts.
I would look to see that the the turbo actuator moves freely. It is liable to be in a position where it is stuck or does not fully open.
The other problem is most likely related to too much fueling, A simple adjustment of the injection pump would be all it needs. (Hammer mod)
Both of these subjects will be covered in the list of How to section.

turbo repair -- if it is not the actuator alone jamming things up
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1340914
turbo actuator:
https://www.idparts.com/vane-actuator-vnt-15vnt-17-a4-alh-p-530.html

hammer mod -- you would need to have VCDS software to accurately adjust it. On older cars this might induce a fuel leak due to disturbing flattened gaskets. Have a gasket kit on hand.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258297
gasket kit:
https://www.idparts.com/tdi-injection-pump-seal-kit-2467010003-p-1143.html

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
Number 1 issue to check first is if you have the cloth weave vacuum hose in use, check at the Turbo vane actuator unit where the hose has a tight bend,

you may find that the hose looks fine but the rubber has dried and cracked at that bend creating a slow leak.

That will often give you a limp mode issue on long sustained boost situations like a long hill climb.

memphisride

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Number 1 issue to check first is if you have the cloth weave vacuum hose in use, check at the Turbo vane actuator unit where the hose has a tight bend,

you may find that the hose looks fine but the rubber has dried and cracked at that bend creating a slow leak.

That will often give you a limp mode issue on long sustained boost situations like a long hill climb.
Thank you for your reply. We are going to change all the vacuum lines next. There is only 158,000 KLMS on my bug. It has spent a fair time in storage.

memphisride

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Better to put this in the MK4 section but since you asked....

Diagnose it by reading the fault codes first. You may have replaced everything but the faulty parts.
I would look to see that the the turbo actuator moves freely. It is liable to be in a position where it is stuck or does not fully open.
The other problem is most likely related to too much fueling, A simple adjustment of the injection pump would be all it needs. (Hammer mod)
Both of these subjects will be covered in the list of How to section.

turbo repair -- if it is not the actuator alone jamming things up
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1340914
turbo actuator:
https://www.idparts.com/vane-actuator-vnt-15vnt-17-a4-alh-p-530.html

hammer mod -- you would need to have VCDS software to accurately adjust it. On older cars this might induce a fuel leak due to disturbing flattened gaskets. Have a gasket kit on hand.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258297
gasket kit:
https://www.idparts.com/tdi-injection-pump-seal-kit-2467010003-p-1143.html
Thank you for your reply. We are going to change the vacuum lines next. I will post the results.

CakeNFace

TDI
2012 Jetta Premium TDI
20K fuel filter change for sure!

So I bought my 2012 Jetta MK6 TDI in May, 2019 with 49K miles. Drove it about 10K miles in that time with no issues. A few times lately the throttle has stuttered in second gear. I looked to see the maintenance schedule and decided to do the fuel filter, among other things. It appears never to have been changed and looks almost completely black! And I can't figure out how to add photos on here, or I'd show you. 20K intervals can't be that bad, are they?

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
So I bought my 2012 Jetta MK6 TDI in May, 2019 with 49K miles. Drove it about 10K miles in that time with no issues. A few times lately the throttle has stuttered in second gear. I looked to see the maintenance schedule and decided to do the fuel filter, among other things. It appears never to have been changed and looks almost completely black! And I can't figure out how to add photos on here, or I'd show you. 20K intervals can't be that bad, are they?
Re photo upload, try this:
http://www.tdiclub.com/guidelines/picfaq.html

Also: If you use Tapatalk on your phone you can just upload photos through the app, it's actually really easy.

Re black fuel filter: I don't know the newer TDI but a black fuel filter suggests fuel tank contamination. Mold and fungus can grow in diesel fuel especially if it's been sitting for a long time, or the fuel itself was contaminated. If your car was purchased from the stockpile of buybacks it likely sat a very long time. Uploading photos would help people identify the issue. My bet is that you'll have to drain a clean the fuel tank, but do get feedback from others too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Dan Robinson

TDI
2000 Jetta & 2001 Jetta
Hi, Dan Robinson here with being a newbie.

Have a 2000 Jetta TDI & a 2001 Jetta TDI.

Used typically worn TDI engine was recently replaced in the 2001 but the clutch only engages way up and the replacement engine guy says I need another clutch.

Same guy replaced a new clutch in the 2001 coupl' years ago but now washes his hands from supporting and being responsible for his work.

Won't the clutch go at any time if driving?

Can the slave or master be adjusted so that the clutch will work properly?

Doesn't the clutch go if the engine exchange takes 'a too long time' to be done?

This tdiclub.com forum is ever so super fantastic!

Mighty honored to be allowed to be here with everyone being TDI, etc., experts.

Thanks, in advance, Dan

rtdrury

TDI
1984 Jetta (non-turbo)
no diesel radiator cap

My mk1 VW diesel Jetta has no radiator cap for me to open and check the coolant level, the basic diagnostic step. Seems the idea is the coolant level in the plastic reserve tank tells us everything but that can't be perfectly reliable indication of anything, if a system has multiple issues. I'm thinking remove the reserve tank hose at the radiator and probing with a wire to check the radiator coolant level. Is there a good discussion of this anywhere? Coun't find anything. Thanks!

Tdiguy53

TDI
2002 Jetta
Catastrophic turbo failure

New to this forum. Long time reader but this is my first post. I’m hoping someone can offer some advice. I recently blew the turbo on my 02 ALH TDI. The center housing separated from the intake side, and the two halves separated. Intake turbo wheel is gone. Looks like the shaft sheared right behind the intake wheel. It pumped almost all the oil out but I got the engine shut down before it ran out. I removed the pan and only found one small pierce of metal. No shavings or glitter. But when I looked at the oil pick up tube I found 5 or 6 pieces of metal. They looked like fingernail clipping from a persons pinky. All half circles and thin. Also had some small pieces that looked of the same origin. I’m replacing the pick up tube, oil cooler and intercooler, turbo and a new turbo oil line. Also cleaned all the intake hoses. No metal in upper intake hoses or intake. Should I be doing anything else? Kinda worried about pieces of metal getting to the main or rod bearings to somewhere else. Was hoping some other tdi’s have had there turbo come apart like this and what it took to fix it.

Thanks.

Jonjetta

TDI
2009 Jetta sedan
Interior swap

Recently acquired an '09 Jetta. Was wondering what year models have interiors that are "swapable"? Saw a nice interior of a wrecked '05 on the Facebook I'd like to have.

Ambrosius

TDI
2002 Jetta
Searching for 01M Manual Shaft Valve

Hello - I'm new to forum, and want to know if anyone knows where I can buy a Manual Shaft Valve for a 01m automatic trans. It's the valve that attaches to the Park Brake mechanism attached to the valve body. See attached photo. Thanks!

clapped caddy

TDI
81 vw rabbit pickup td 5spd daily
Possible cylinder head damage

Hello all I'm new to the forum and need some help! I started my caddy last night and its got an MF TD from a mk2 jetta. I was purging the system and had the truck running for over an hour. It did not overheat but bubbles kept on coming up from the bottom of the reservoir. They were small but still there. No smoke of any kind, except a little puff of black since that was the first start since November, and the coolant that was cycling back was clean the whole time. The oil was fine too, just black lol. I'm pretty certain that it must be a bad head gasket, but I would really appreciate the input from all you experienced folks!
Thanks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The few VWs I've worked on always seem to take a while to settle out the coolant. As long as you're not leaking, take it for some long drives, check, repeat.

B0B C.

TDI
1997 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9L TDI
Anyone know the steps needed to adjust the Serpentine Belt Tensioner - 97 Jetta 1.9L 5 Speed

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redtop

TDI
1.6 CODE CAYC
Rear Brakes Sticking Constantly | MKVI Golf 2012 1.6TDI | URGENT

Hi all, newbie here, not a newbie to this ongoing problem however.
Im from Northern Ireland
I've came here to get help as this problem is recurring.
My golf recently got new brake pads and couple drop links.
Ever since this problem has stayed with me as if im cursed with it.
(car has went on fire 3 times)
Started off with one caliper, driver side rear, replaced that and then went over to passenger side rear as it stuck again causing a fire so it was replaced.
SO - The following has been done.

• Rear Discs replaced (due to fire first time)
  • Rear pads(again, due to fire even though she just got them)
  • Both rear Calipers.
  • ABS Pump was replaced with a temporay one however that wasnt the issue, so the original is back in (yes it was coded)
  • Master cylinder was just replaced couple days ago hoping thats all that was needed - STILL HAPPENS.
By still happens, i mean the rear wheels heat up a lot more than the fronts when it should be the other way around.
Some people have mentioned about a brake equaliser valve on the rear brake lines - My golf does not have this.
The calipers bleed freely
Brake fluid has been replaced due to contamination from heat!

We are now going to flush out the brake lines completely! Followed by plugging in the VAG-Com computer to detect any errors (none whatsoever) to check the brake pressure at idle and drivetime.
ANYTHING AT ALL TO HELP - WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED
I have cried so much mentall and financially at this point in time :)

Thanks lads!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check your rear caliper slider pins, make sure they are straight and the head is not bent. like it can get if you used a hammer and chisel/screwdriver to free them up some time in the past.

Redtop

TDI
1.6 CODE CAYC
Check your rear caliper slider pins, make sure they are straight and the head is not bent. like it can get if you used a hammer and chisel/screwdriver to free them up some time in the past.
Never used chisel or hammer to remove them, new calipers were fitted when this problem occurred and the carrier pins were completely fine, in fact tonight I removed both rears to clean and properly check those pins. Everything is fine, calipers releasing and pressing fine. The Drivers rear heated up extremely compared to the other three that weren't even warm.

This is a huge mind fuss.

Ready to burn it at this point.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
How-to swap Door Card Panel Inserts, reattaching the replacement panel with zip ties instead of hot glue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeGGUNWeARw
Finished product looks great!

Where did the leather door card come from? Is that from another car? Is that available aftermarket? Or was it cut-to-fit leather that was then stretched over the existing door card after tossing the saggy fabric?

(Screen grab from above video):

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Finished product looks great!

Where did the leather door card come from? Is that from another car? Is that available aftermarket? Or was it cut-to-fit leather that was then stretched over the existing door card after tossing the saggy fabric?

(Screen grab from above video):
I obtained the inner door card panels from a Jetta sedan at my local Pick-n-Pull. I drive a Jetta wagon. The wagons have a unique shaped rear door card, which are difficult to find and in good shape. However, the inner panels are the same shape for the wagon and sedan (also guessing the four-door Golf?). As a result, I searched the local yard and found padded vinyleather inner panels in a Jetta sedan. The four inner panels were also a lot lower in price than four full door cards.

nemesbotond

TDI
Seat Altea XL 2.0
Cruise control light not working

Hi
Im new in here.
I have a SEAT ALTEA XL 2.0 TDI DSG year 2007, I changed the cruise control switch, the garage activated it, but the light not on on the dashboard. The cruise control works fine except the light. what shoud I have to do? May need to activate the cruise control light somewhere?

lectricmotors

TDI
1998 Jetta
98-Jetta, Forum Newbie looking for search help, svc mnls etc

Thanx in advance for your patience. I may be ignorant or just search-dumb but please teach me how to fish! Trying to search, first from the homepage using the "SEARCH" routine, then this 101 section using my browser "find", I'm not getting quickly to what I'm looking for.

For example, to find:
1. How-to remove interior door panels?
2. Since i didn't find that easily, how about any or all service manuals available for this TDI?

Was gifted my dad's 98 TDI jetta, running OK and passing inspection so far!!
THANKS!:confused:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Pretty hard to find repair manual stuff free for these cars. Assuming you have an A4. Manual for the NB are different than Golf-Jetta, may be hard to find even in the pricey Bentley.
You should be able to find what you need using this handy user contributed google hack-
VW TDI Search Engine

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Thanx in advance for your patience. I may be ignorant or just search-dumb but please teach me how to fish! Trying to search, first from the homepage using the "SEARCH" routine, then this 101 section using my browser "find", I'm not getting quickly to what I'm looking for.

For example, to find:
1. How-to remove interior door panels?
2. Since i didn't find that easily, how about any or all service manuals available for this TDI?
THANKS!:confused:
The folks at Google spent a lot more time and money on figuring out search than the fine people at vBulletin, so leverage that search capability...

Type the following into Mr. Google:
Remove interior door panel site:tdiclub.com

You get this:

reenster7

TDI
2012 VW Passat SE TDI
Low boost 2004 TDI Jetta BEW

Hello guys, I’m very new to the Volkswagen family and to this forum. I drove a 2005 TDI Jetta and fell in love with it. So consequently I got one for myself which was a 04 TDI Jetta. My car has no boost in first gear up to 2000 revs then it has more than enough. Once in 3rd gear and up it has little boost. Fuel filter has been changed, MAF sensor has been changed. Also timing was off so that was adjusted as well. I am not an expert but I am getting familiar with this car through YouTube lol. Does Anyone else have any ideas on what else it might be? Maybe the boost sensor? Any info will help! Thanks!