98 TDI Hard start cold no codes thrown?

jlscheele

TDI
1998 Jetta, 99 Beetle Upsolute .205 injectors
Guys,
I searched the threads but didn't see anything that fit the bill for a no code situation.

Was starting fine a week ago but now cold, it acts like the GP's aren't working and not getting any codes. The GP light on the dash stays on longer first thing in the morning and less after a mid day restart so I wasn't thinking the temp sensor was bad.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for any help in advance
John

BTW I love this car... I am on my second tank since I bought it and I got 42 mpg :D

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I see in profile you have a 98 Jetta-so it's an AHU motor. Just asking-did you go over the thread about no-start issues for an A3? I think it is in the A3/B4 section. Any extra smoke when starting compared to when you bought it? Have you or previous owner did anything to the timing belt recently? Maybe timing is off slightly-look for a member near you that has a vag-com and get it checked(IIRC there is a thread at top of this section that has members w/ vag-com),or locate a trusted TDI mechanic near you. Also could be a fuel supply issue-air getting into system when sitting for extended periods-have you changed fuel filter recently?

jlscheele

TDI
Guys,
I think I found the problem. One of the two wires from the GP harness had backed out of the connector block and wasn't powering two of the GP's. HMMMMM.... I am surprised this didn't throw a code since there was a resistance imbalance?? Will know for sure tomorrow morning
John

jlscheele

TDI
tdidieselbobny,
Thanks again for the tips. I also did find that my new fuel filter was leaking and alowing air to get in the system.
John

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Just hope your plastic tee for the fuel isn't cracked-they are around $40 now( and 1stVWParts.com says they have been discontinued)..... Are you running ok now?

jlscheele

TDI
I think the tee is good. I put a cheap filter on it not knowing it was cheap when I bought it online. I think the o ring grove was cut a little to deep in it. I didn't feel as much tension as I did with the old Bosch filter. Went back to the Bosch till I get a new one. Are there others you would recommend?
Thanks,
John