Organize a Caravan

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Feel free to start organizing caravans. Now that there a section dedicated to this, put where you want to start a caravan, and see how many people can be picked up along the way. Ontario Canada to NC might be a good start
Fred

Fred

valois

Banned
I would be happy to join up with anybody coming from the west through Charlotte and meet up with our southern group at I95, Hwy 74 from Lumberton will take us straight into wilmington. The Yankees would be better off taking I95 down to I40. You can shave some milage off via Rockymount but the Highway is stop and go.

DZL JETT

When do you plan on being there Valois?? I've got reservations for Fri, Sat and Sun.

Let's get it on...and burn some diesel!!

valois

Banned
It's up to Fred and Nicole, booking their ticket from the west coast puts them into Charlotte after the last flight to Wilmington on the first, in order to catch a flight that would allow them to get to Wilmington on the 1st they would have had to get to the airport at like 4am. They have the option of flying into wilmington the next morning or joining the Caravan and driving with us. The return tickets are easier because of the time difference on the west coast. DZL JETT if you would like to stay in Charlotte and join up with us you are more than welcome to stay at our house, save some money too, and rest up before the activities. Anybody coming from the Charlotte area, or west? Lets form up.

valois

Banned
Tom it's about 10 miles away. Anyone that needs to contact me directly can reach me at (704) 714-7853 ext 22, leave a voice mail message with your phone number and I will be paged immediately and return your call. The drive from Charlotte is 4 hours from Wilmington, so we need to stage up and depart by 7am on the 2nd. This will put us at the junction of I95 and HWY 74 around 9:30am and into wilmington around 11:30 am. If Nicole and Fred decide to fly into Wilmington from Charlotte, they will arrive at the airport at 11:04 am. (Sorry, I had listed the 1st, meant the 2nd)

[This message has been edited by valois (edited May 08, 2000).]

valois

Banned
Everyone, be sure to put a sign up in the rear window with your handle and TDICLUB.COM Anyone that needs coordination or help on the road use my number with voicemail(7047147853 ext23) Anybody have radios or CB's decide upon frequencies. Anybody with cell phones post your cell phone numbers so that you can be contacted on the road for assistance or joining up.

[This message has been edited by valois (edited May 08, 2000).]

DZL JETT

The invitation for the lodging sounds great.

Just to clarify, what time should I plan to be in Charlotte by and on what day..??

I'm used to doing AZ to NJ in two 1200 mile days (36 hours driving time) but have never done it with the diesel yet.

Anyone else coming from way out west, you can email me at JETTN2U@aol.com and we can organize a travel plan.

valois

Banned
DZL JETT, try to get here before say, 22:00 hrs on the 1st. Anytime on the 31st or first will be fine, this will give you a chance to rest up. I will plan on you staying at my place in Charlotte, I'll send you details and Address via email, don't overdo the drive, take it safe, that goes for everyone, I would feel terrible and responsible if anyone gets hurt trying to drive too much. I used to be young and dumb and full of $&#%. Now I'm just dumb.

valois

Banned
Anybody coming down I85 or from the west? So far we have Tomo366, DEZL JETT, Fred and Nicole(hopefully) Osidak, Myself, two vans,and a Z28 camaro. Gary, are you planning on driving up to Charlotte and cutting across or taking I20?

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI

[This message has been edited by Vhunter (edited May 13, 2000).]

valois

Banned
Fred has finally agreed to help me out and drive my poor slow diesel RedRider on the Caravan out of Charlotte.
I realize it's probably not up to his usual standards, but it will allow me to bring an extra van down. I'll be sure to have the propane tank full for you Derf.

DZL JETT

The caravan from out west is shaping up to this:

I'll probably leave Phoenix sometime on Wednesday, August 30th. I plan to make Dallas in one day (1067 miles.) There I will join up with WhiteBelly and possibly make Charlotte the next night (1032 miles) depending on driving styles and likes. Valois - do you mind if I/we make it 2 nights at your place (31st and the 1st??) As you said, I don't want to kill either myself or someone else in the caravan. That would give us a full day to recooperate before the final drive on Saturday the 2nd.

The route should look something like this:

I-10 from Phoenix to I-20 in Texas
I-20 through Dallas, join with Whitebelly
I-20 through Louisianna, Mississippi, Alabama to Atlanta
I-85 from Atlanta to Charlotte

I'll work on times and speeds and the like to try to pinpoint times of arrival and such.

Kevin

valois

Banned
Dzl JETT, your welcome to stay several nights, Kim lays a pretty good table. We are looking forward to meeting you. What about white belly? I have room for one more.

valois

Banned
Tazzman, contact TDIsmokin via email to plot your route to I95. You can caravan with our other friendly nieghbors of the North.

Tazzman

Veteran Member
well
We got one going
first R.V. will be in Otawa and then to R.V.
near the boarder..?????
to pick up the guys from Toronto,,(TDIMiester)Pardo..and co.
thenthe guys from the east can head towards somewhere in the middle and then head down.
all we need is roads routes,,Ps I hear there alot of construction and an alternate might be advisable,,can any one down there verify that.
Well dr. dodge its in you ball park now,,
where the best R.V> place to pick up the guys near the boarder?

we going to need times to

Tazz

JS SMKN

Tazzman

Veteran Member
Well Im looking for a new R.V.
Dr. Dodge has been unable to attend
So I will not be R.V. ing with him

So its Up to TDI Smokin
and any others from the east
Lets see if We can find a spot to R.V.
and Head down together..

Tazz

JS SMKN

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
I will be heading out from US-2 then south
to Chicago, then south, eventually I-77.
The route I am using is at randmacnally.com
then plug in area code 49935, to the
area code of 28401. Gives the most direct
route.. that is the one I will probably take.
Hope to meet up with others on the way.

[This message has been edited by The Ripster (edited May 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by The Ripster (edited May 19, 2000).]

ittrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver
OK... how about Ottawa and Toronto as Ontario RV points. The Ottawa crowd can go to 1000 islands as the next RV point. Washington is the best RV point for the Toronto caravan to meet the Ottawa Caravan in order for both to go the shortest distance possible.

Jamie

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
Canadians,
Best place to RV for the Ottawa crowd to meet the TO crowd would be Binghampton, NY right at the crossroad of I81 and #17. This way means a nice run down together and NO detours for either group. Look at map and you will agree.
Scott maybe we can meet in Buffalo at a specific time and place and crise down to Binghampton together.

------------------
TDIsmokin
Claude

I am an elitist. I drive a TDI!!

KliftonK

TDI
2000 New Beetle, Silver/Black
Well, I'm in Nashville, Gary M. is in Atlanta, hopefully we'll meet up somewhere on the way there, anyone else in this area that wants to join up?

------------------
Y2K VW NB GLS TDI

valois

Banned
Slugbug, we have 5 or 6 that will be running from Charlotte on Saturday at 7 am, you are free to join us, Wilmington is 4 hours from there.

valois

Banned
I am posting this to get it in the field again, I am getting alot of email from people that want to attend but do not realize there are posts older than the 20 day default on the section.