What's a good cleaner to use on the inlet manifold and EGR valve?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The outlet goes to the turbo and the inlets are from the previously mentioned places.
I usually pull it out and apply suction, or blowing into, to the turbo side and plug the other two lines with my fingers then remove each alternating between them to see if they both release suction. Using a vacuum pump leaving it on the fire wall your going to do the same thing, just unplug electrical first. Only one should let air pass.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Thanks for the help everyone, you guys are so knowledgeable about these cars, am glad forums like this exist:) One last thing i wanted to ask am sure most of us have heard about the infamous Mr Muscle turbo clean. I read you just need to take off the three 13mm bolts holding the downpipe to the turbo and then spray straight in while working the VNT actuator then go for a spirited drive.

I just wanted to know the right size ratchet to use. I think i'll need a small flexible head ratchet if am not mistaken as it's quiet tight underneath the car with not much space to work to get those three bolts off. Any links anyone can provide would be helpful?

Thanks

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Nothing special really, your 13mm socket and short extension. I have a floppy head ratchet that's fine length for timing though.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
As far as the intake goes a three inch extension is usually sufficient. Seeing is the difficult aspect and if you time the engine forward there's plenty of room for that.

I use something like this for timing only really. It has a longer handle than a normal driver so it can stick past the top of the engine more.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-dr-Ext...OdldTw8e:sc:USPSPriority!28803!US!-1&LH_All=1

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Sorry what difference would that make? I thought that would be more then sufficient to take off three 13mm bolts holding the downpipe to the turbo unless am mistaken?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
like i said, if its not too badly coated, id say no more than 1/8" an inch or for you 3mm, i would just leave it the heck alone. your going to spend a ton of time on a job that you will see no real results from. now a 5mm more more coating or clogging, maybe a few mpg better and a few HP back but you really have to be clogged up to have issues.
can you share some pictures of your intake manifold with the boot off?

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
like i said, if its not too badly coated, id say no more than 1/8" an inch or for you 3mm, i would just leave it the heck alone. your going to spend a ton of time on a job that you will see no real results from. now a 5mm more more coating or clogging, maybe a few mpg better and a few HP back but you really have to be clogged up to have issues.
can you share some pictures of your intake manifold with the boot off?
Sorry but am not even talking about the manifold anymore. After the replies I've got here am going to leave it well alone. What am asking is this. Am going to be doing the Mr Muscle clean on the turbo soon and i was wondering what size ratchet i would need to take the three 13mm bolts off the downpipe connected to the turbo? I thought a 1/2 inch ratchet with a flexible head would be sufficient but another poster recommends a 3/8? Am just trying to get clarification which one would be best?

I was originally gonna get this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Driv...541117?hash=item2cefc9cdfd:g:vy4AAOSwf5ddMaKA

Sorry for the confusion and for dragging this out.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
OH, yea ok, those bolts can be tricky.
do yourself a favor and mix up some ATF and acetone about 1:1 give or take and soak the heck out of the bolts, it will seep down those threads better than any thing on the market. let it soak overnight, try and get it on both sides if you can. and for the first initial go at it, try and tighten the bolts a tiny bit, your not trying to turn them more so to break them free.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you have a harbor frieght type of store in the UK? Cheep tools do the same job as expensive ones do. It's only when you push the limits of a tool that you really need a quality tool.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Do you have a harbor frieght type of store in the UK? Cheep tools do the same job as expensive ones do. It's only when you push the limits of a tool that you really need a quality tool.
I've already ordered the 3/8 ratchet off eBay, should be here in a couple of days. We have stores like Screwfix and another called tool station. Halfords in the UK is the main store to go to especially for most things car related although am not sure about the prices they charge:D

Am looking to buy a new car jack as my old ones broken. I found some online with mixed reviews which doesn't really make me feel very confident especially when your gonna be using it to work under your car you want something robust without the thought of something going wrong.

What car jack are you guys using any recommendations?

Is something like this overkill lol?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcan-ALJ3T-Aluminum-Floor-Jack/dp/B0047D2FWM

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The one I got at harbor frieght for 130 bucks works just fine. I got the long low profile one. No reason to spend more!

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Cheers guys am gonna get the Pittsburgh 1.5 ton aluminium jack. I think i'll have to order it from harbor freight as i can't find any UK suppliers, i hope i don't get hammered on shipping costs as am from the UK.

In terms of jack stands what's the best weight to go for, i want to be as safe as possible?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon