Heat Only on Driver Side - clogged heater core

03ALHWagon

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon (sold)
When you guys had your heater cores replaced, did your coolant system go through a first flush, warmed up, and then the heater core replaced with new coolant?

Curious.

And yes heater cores are on back orders...We have about 3 on order so far with no time frame in place.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
When you guys had your heater cores replaced, did your coolant system go through a first flush, warmed up, and then the heater core replaced with new coolant?

Curious.

And yes heater cores are on back orders...We have about 3 on order so far with no time frame in place.
I can only assume the correct procedure was followed per the TSB. The dealership gave me a loaner car so I didn't stick around to watch.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
prior to my core replacement ill add in a coolant filter like 767wrech did, and swap the G13 for G12+++ after I get it home. Having the car down when we drive 110 miles a day just cannot happen. That new accord hibred is looking pretty sweet, reports of 300K with no issues- I sold my father my old 2009 accord when I picked up the nms and that accord is over 200k without one dime in repairs

fricknbug99

TDI
99 beetle tdi 5 speed,2013 passat se tdi dsg
Curious.
On my 1st repair one cooling system flush was done following service bulletin instructions. On the second repair service writer said 3 flushes were done per service bulletin.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Has anyone had success with a reverse heater core flush and maybe a radiator core flush soak?
I've done it 3x. Only got a few months out of each attempt. Also let it sit over night with phosphoric acid.

Finally I decided to eliminate the egr cooler loop, and replace the core, along with a healthy dousche of the block.

Before I installed the new core, and with the egr eliminated as a possible flow restriction from its own headaches, I took 5 gal buckets and hosed to each one, and fired up the car.

I used the pump to seriously flush the block/head/water jacket castings with zero effort, as doing this is on the inside of the closed thermostat, that little pump can surprisingly hose water.... One hose lead jumped out of the bucket around 2500.... I ran engine until one bucket was transferred into another temp isn't the concern, fluid transfer is. And continued feeding fresh water to it until it was totally clear and sediment stopped showing up.

In a perfect world the gallon per minute is much less since the core introduces its own restrictions in water flow. If it's clean with no core in the loop , then when installed I know the chances of crud to float to the core will be reduced.

Since the egr is eliminated for some hose room, I installed a ghetto garden hose strainer prior heated core. Ugly, probably because I did drunk, but catches anything and is removable sorta to clean the filter.

Now I'm running a ph balanced mix, of old school green, with some additives for aluminum.

Done. Half the price of the G-garbage, and no issues.

And please use distilled water for the final fill after the last drain......

Sent from my S-Off'ed HTC One...

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Dealer called this morning, and they have a new core. Have an appointment for Thursday to have it replaced. I plan to ask what flush procedure they plan to follow, and what coolant they'll be installing. Someone else with the extended warranty said they were charged for the flush; if they try that with me, I will insist that G12 be used.

03ALHWagon

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon (sold)
Dealer called this morning, and they have a new core. Have an appointment for Thursday to have it replaced. I plan to ask what flush procedure they plan to follow, and what coolant they'll be installing. Someone else with the extended warranty said they were charged for the flush; if they try that with me, I will insist that G12 be used.
You should not be charged for the flush. Just tell them to follow the TSB procedure and since it is under extended warranty, it gets paid for by VW.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You should not be charged for the flush. Just tell them to follow the TSB procedure and since it is under extended warranty, it gets paid for by VW.
The heater core replacement was done today, and it was all provided under warranty— core, gaskets, flush, and new coolant (which was listed on the form as G-013-A8J-1G......so, G13. Back to full heat, we'll see how it goes.

CalibreTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 2012 Passat
Just another stat.

2012 Passat - 85,000 Miles. Heater Core went too. BS.

03ALHWagon

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon (sold)
The heater core replacement was done today, and it was all provided under warranty— core, gaskets, flush, and new coolant (which was listed on the form as G-013-A8J-1G......so, G13. Back to full heat, we'll see how it goes.
Great to hear. And yes that is G13 which is only what is available from VW. Best of luck and I know they are using an updated number for the heater cores right now.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Add me in. No heat on passenger side. 2 degree morning. Haven't noticed it before since drive by myself mostly
More and more ammo to just do the buyback.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Yes that is way too much for maintenance. Where's the blender door/shafts so I can have a look at mine. Also I've heard that if you do have to do the heater core in the Passat you don't have to pull the dash apart. Does anyone have any info l/instruction on core replacement?

Bearsvw

TDI
2013 passat highline loaded
Clogged heater core

Defrost had good heat floor drivers side warm passenger floor cold. Took it into dealer they have to replace heater core. It's back ordered so they gave me a rental maybe 3 weeks.

Alfred Hagen

TDI
Passat
Just to say had exact same problem with my 2012 Passat. Apparently VERY common though not openly admitted by VW. Presently all heater cores in Canada sold out - should speak for itself. Will be my last VW!!

Bearsvw

TDI
2013 passat highline loaded
Vw told me the material used inside the core breaks apart and blocks the core. I'm in a rental 2017 civic.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Vw told me the material used inside the core breaks apart and blocks the core. I'm in a rental 2017 civic.
I don't think that's actually the case. Dissected heater cores look fine other than the blockages. I think this is a coolant contamination/overheating problem - likely due to poor coolant design for the operating conditions or perhaps a poor choice of materials within the cooling system (VW has also indicated that it's excess flux leftover from radiator manufacturing).

03ALHWagon

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon (sold)
New part number has been released but so far haven't had the chance to see if it is different in any way. Just an FYI. More expensive too though.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
I purchased my Passat 2nd hand from a local VW dealership Certified Pre-Owned a couple years ago. The other day I noticed no heat from the passenger side dash vent, so I scheduled an appointment for the 23T3 Connector Seal recall and to have the no-heat issue 'diagnosed'.
I did not mention the fact that I was aware of TSB 80-16-01 and just let them go with what they diagnosed. The service writer informed me it would be $99 to diagnose the issue and to see if it's covered under warranty.
Sure enough, not a penny spent and I'm now happy with my heat back to normal.

The part number for the core is listed as 561-819-031-B and the coolant is
listed as G-013-A8J-1G.

I did ask the tech and service writer what they knew about this issue and if it would affect the other heat exchangers in the system such as the EGR and oil cooler. They said it was a good question and the no one else had asked in such detail. (I've been a shade-tree mech for over 30 years so I have a bit of a clue..LOL) I was told that the heat from the EGR is breaking down the coolant. This issue is not found on the gasoline powered VWs with the same heater core. So much for the 'flux' theory, huh.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If it was EGR cooler heat, why doesn't it seem to affect the 2012s? I suppose they could have a different EGR strategy during regen.

-J

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
they used G12++ in 2012 that seems to be holding up better than the G13

jaredaggie

TDI
2000 ALH, Black, 5M; 2013 Passat TDI 2.0 6MT
Thanks for posting this thread. Also found mine to have not as much heat as previously and no heat whatsoever on the passenger side.

I'm glad this is covered by VW, but worry about what else will be impacted down the road.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
From experience...

Heat should be equal or almost so on both sides. This especially on the SE.

The dealer idea of a flush and a real flush may well be two different things. Check your reservoir for clean pink liquid. Orange(ish) coolant is a sure sign that all is not well.

Heater core seating is also a potential problem. The core MUST be fully seated. Otherwise the actuator might not cycle properly or cold air may bypass the core on the right side of the cabin.

Truthfully I suspect a failed flush. You might be able to correct it using the procedure I outlined in a previous post... Maybe. Otherwise you'll be getting another new core.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
need to try the shop vac flush, but with all these water pump failures I wonder if that's hard on the water pump?

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Why would the vac flush be hard on the pump? You won't be running without coolant at any time, you'll be using flush water with no minerals, and you'll be doing this on a warm engine.

Given that you'll be using vacuum to remove contaminated debris from the system at the reservoir, the pump should actually be handling progressively cleaner coolant with each new load of water. Unless the pump is already damaged this will only help the pump live.

The reason I suggested the procedure listed is simple and logical as it allows clean water to enter the entire system by virtue of the fact that the engine will be up to optimum temps. Thus, the thermostat will be fully open. Further, you'll go through several cycles of flushing and driving until you see clean water in the reservoir. Once at the proper mix with antifreeze your pump should be very happy not to have to deal with contaminates.

Remember... This method will never run the pump dry because you won't be running the engine at the same time that you're applying vacuum to evacuate the reservoir. What you're looking to do is to remove old coolant and contaminates by circulating clean water into the system between vacuum purges. Yes, it wastes some water but water is cheap. The vacuum merely insures or encourages sediment to flow toward the reservoir where it's easily removed from the system. It's actually the runs up to operating temp with clean water that wash the system and begin the process of allowing sediment and used coolant to be easily purged.

Remember to clean your reservoir after the procedure and before you install the new coolant mix. Drive the car once the new coolant has been installed, then check for proper level and be 100% sure that the coolant has remained a healthy pink color. If there remains an orange tint, then you have not properly cleaned the system.

razorrod

TDI
Passat SEL
Not all mine is completely cold on pass side by the door. A center vent has warm air.
Well I'm done with this car anyway, appointment at end of Feb . I hope the next owner will check heat before buying it, so VW fix it anyway this way or another, since they wisely decided screw 2012 Passat owners.
- "No heat, freeze to death"

they used G12++ in 2012 that seems to be holding up better than the G13

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip> Drive the car once the new coolant has been installed, then check for proper level and be 100% sure that the coolant has remained a healthy pink ough, color. If there remains an orange tint, then you have not properly cleaned the system.
I had the heater core replaced and flush done under the extended warranty two weeks ago. As far as I can tell the coolant was orange before, and to my eye is the same orange now. Passenger side heat problem was corrected, though, and I'm still covered for 10/120, so I guess it's all good....