www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:11   #1
trev0006
Veteran Member

TDI(s): golf
Default VW Golf TDI BlueMotion gets 73.5 mpg

20 photos and details in the gallery

VW Golf TDI BlueMotion gets 73.5 mpg
trev0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:07   #2
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev0006 View Post

20 photos and details in the gallery
VW Golf TDI BlueMotion gets 73.5 mpg
I know many folks around here would like to see a GTD, but a decently-equipped BlueMotion TDI is what I'd rather see.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 13:29   #3
bfalke1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly in sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
I know many folks around here would like to see a GTD, but a decently-equipped BlueMotion TDI is what I'd rather see.
I would like to see both... but if we only get one, I think that the GTD would get more press coverage, so it would be better for diesel's overall health in the US. Which would mean, it would make us more likely to get a big sales number, and therefore more likely for the other "special" versions we don't get to make it stateside.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think this way... As much as I like my car, a BlueMotion TDI in a review, would probably be the same, excepting that its quieter at a light... that seems to me as though it would not excite non-diesel people.

NEW - 2015 Sierra 1500 Denali, 6.2L
bfalke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 13:39   #4
85Steve
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40.9MPG

The day we will see a Blue Motion or a GTD on a LOT as a new vehicle (not imported, used, and traded) Will be the day they Fire the head of VWoA and get a real Car Guy in!
Old June 26th, 2013, 13:49   #5
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfalke1 View Post
I would like to see both... but if we only get one, I think that the GTD would get more press coverage, so it would be better for diesel's overall health in the US. Which would mean, it would make us more likely to get a big sales number, and therefore more likely for the other "special" versions we don't get to make it stateside.
Maybe I am wrong, but I think this way... As much as I like my car, a BlueMotion TDI in a review, would probably be the same, excepting that its quieter at a light... that seems to me as though it would not excite non-diesel people.
I think one of the reasons diesels get bad rap is that hybrids have stolen all the thunder. We all know that in the real world, diesels more than deliver on their fuel efficiency promises, especially on the highway.

But you never see diesels participating in special government rebate programs.

A BlueMotion that gets 70+ mpg, drives like a normal car, and doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg more than its equivalent gasser, to me, would be a sterling advertisement for diesel and might make folks wake up and demand that diesels also get a share of the "green" pie being doled out by governments.

I don't have any need for more torque or HP than I'm currently getting with my Golf. In fact I have way more than I usually use. But I do have a lot of interest in saving even more fuel. Greater range, lower annual expenses, and no need to sacrifice comfort, convenience and even fun, to get it.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 15:01   #6
Yvettes Sherpa
Veteran Member

Are these Imperial gallons or U.S. gallons? A Imperial Gallon has 32oz more.
Old June 26th, 2013, 15:02   #7
WutGas?
Veteran Member

3.2/100 liters is said in the article. That would equal US gallons.
Old June 26th, 2013, 15:05   #8
Yvettes Sherpa
Veteran Member

thanks
Old June 26th, 2013, 20:21   #9
jahlov420
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg combo driving

it would be nice to see that come to the state. Europe has had 60+mpg cars for a while. we here in the state settle for less
Old June 26th, 2013, 20:56   #10
eav

There's no way to get both? Perhaps with some compromise, a GTD with the aerodynamic tweaks of the Bluemotion and the handling of the GTD.
eav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 23:35   #11
I800C0LLECT
Veteran Member

I think this all comes down to the same thing it always does...different engine and different emissions.

They would have to redesign the emissions for that engine and then pay for it all to be tested/certified. For such a small market, I don't see the point. That's why they pick a middle of the road engine that's not all out power or efficiency. Something that most buyers can compromise on.
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:15   #12
heidelberger75

The european mileage estimates for cars are wildly optimistic and don't reflect the real world. I drive a 2010 1.6tdi with 105 hp and don't get near the reported test figures. I think when they say 3.2 they ACTUALLY mean the steady state mileage between 50-60 mph.

Of course that's still really good but throw a few stops lights in there and a heavy foot and its not realistic.

I don't see many americans wanting a car with that low hp either. It's a slow car.
Old June 27th, 2013, 09:03   #13
85Steve
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40.9MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidelberger75 View Post
The european mileage estimates for cars are wildly optimistic and don't reflect the real world. I drive a 2010 1.6tdi with 105 hp and don't get near the reported test figures. I think when they say 3.2 they ACTUALLY mean the steady state mileage between 50-60 mph.

Of course that's still really good but throw a few stops lights in there and a heavy foot and its not realistic.

I don't see many americans wanting a car with that low hp either. It's a slow car.
True on the slow ride thing, however, only true if the person is a gear head. If they are a Toyota, Nissan, and Honda owner, they don't care about handling, performance, or quality. They just care about Safety and Mileage.

I like to drive, and I like to feel what the car and the road are doing. I was in a Loaner Camery (2011), and I can now see why MT, C&D, R&T all say the Japanese brands are just appliances. Very Very dull ride, SLOW, and Plastic as far as the eye can see!

So, if VW were to accomplish their goal of 800,000 units per year, they need to bring the BlueMotion line up over to the US, and also bring over a Diesel in ALL Models. But it needs to be reliable too. Put the Passat's set up in the Golf and other Diesel Models. The Passats are everywhere in this area now, and They out number the Camery and Altima on the road now, at least from what I see. And almost All the Passat's that I see are TDI models as well.