tacho mk2 gti in mk1 diesel

sabatino mk1

TDI
mk1 tdi 90 hp intercooler
Greetings to all, I would like to change my tachometer of the mk1 diesel with the mk2 gti, I am attaching the photo of what is mounted and what I would like to mount, I have the signal w of the alternator, can you help me with the wiring?

here I am attaching photos of the cluster that I would like to install:

I hope they can be seen well.
please anyone can give me info
Regards
Sabatino

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Hi there... unfortunately there are no pictures, but no worries... your description is pretty clear all on its own.

My suggestion would be to also post over on www.vwdiesel.net... lots of folks there still running MK1 and MK2 IDI diesels (this is more of a TDI forum) and in particular there are threads on re-calibrating various tachs to use the W signal.

I mention this because it sounds like you are wanting to use a tach originally designed for a gas engine on the diesel W-signal... and if so you'll need some additional parts or some circuitry mods.

sabatino mk1

TDI
ops,
sorry, I was unable to post, please explain.
Thanks Vince Waldon
very kind.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
So yup that's a gas cluster (tach goes up to 7000 RPM), so you will need a signal conversion box from Dakota Digital or the like to run it on the W-terminal. Or modify the internal circuitry of the tach itself by changing a few resistors.

Threads over at vwdiesel.net with great information.

Also note your cluster does not have a glow plug light...so you may want to sort that out as well.

sabatino mk1

TDI
Ciao, la tua informazione è preziosa, stavo guardando il supporto motore sotto quando accelero e decellero fa troppo rumore perché è troppo sensibile, può essere cambiato? qualcuno l'ha fatto? Monta AFN sulla mia golf1 con la gestione elettronica della ECU, e va come un matto. Un'altra domanda: la mascherina del faro di golf2 si trova con golf1? Grazie a tutti in anticipo