Looking for a mk2 quick ratio steering rack thread

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Good morning,

I have on a few occasions come across a thread (not sure if it was on here or vortex) where they are talking about installing a quick ratio steering rack and pinion. I specifically remember one of the replies being, "replace the guts from a manual mk2 steering rack with those of a power rack," or something along those lines. Would anyone happen to have any more information on the subject? My current 86 golf has a manual rack and I pulled the rack from an 86 jetta with power steering yesterday.

Thank You,
Justin

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
We ran a de-powered PS rack in our 85-88 GTI race car. Worked well, but it was properly done: torn down, welded torsion bar, removed ATF, added synth grease, adjusted lash...

On a street car it is gonna be 20% heavier steering, due to the 20% quicker ratio.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I'm just wanting to verify that the PS rack and pinion will be able to be placed inside the manual steering rack housing that is already in my golf.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure about that. I do know that the outer tie-rod assembly is different between manual & power rack. Also, the power pinion is very different, because of the torsion bar. Now that I write that down: no, the power guts won't just drop in.

Again, the easy button is to just rebuild a power rack assembly, deleting the power seals & valves, weld up the torsion shaft, lube & reassemble. No kit is needed, because it won't leak without pressure or oil inside.

Note, the PS rack has a taller pinion shaft, so the steering intermediate shaft (double u-jointed shaft from column to rack) is also different.

TLDR: Get a PS rack, complete with outer tie rod assemblies, and get the intermediate shaft that connects rack to column. Depower rack, install in car.

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks him. If that's the case ill just stick with the manual rack as I already bought new tie rods for it. Going to a mk3 subframe so I got mk4 tie rods for length. What about using just the PS rack and manual pinion?

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
The tie-rod assy is different for the PS rack, because the actual rack gear is bigger? So maybe the new Mk4 TR assemblies will thread on the Mk2 power rack gear. I thought the power pinion gear had a different (higher) tooth count to get the faster ratio, so it doesn't seem like the manual & power gears could be mixed. Dunno how it all works with Mk3 subframe. We did use Mk3 4cyl GTI knuckles to get the bigger brakes, bearings & balljoints, which were weak points in endurance racing.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep I've got mk3 everything suspension, dual piston calipers and corrado disks.