Totalled my Jetta...now what?

kramnnim

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 NB
So this morning on the way to work I was going too fast around a curve, lost control, and wrecked into a double wide mobile home. I didn't have full coverage, just liability, so now I'm wondering what to do with my poor car... Would it be worth it to try to part it out myself, or would I be better off just selling the whole thing..? If so...how much could I expect to get out it?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated...

I uploaded some pictures here.. http://kram.zagnu.com/jetta/ It's an 01 auto, had 93k...

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now. Former: 00 Jetta, 01 NB
You will most likely get more parting it out. But that's dependent on you being skilled mechanically and also having a place to do this.

<edit>
Just looked at the pics... man, you were going more than 'too fast'... more like 'way too #$^%$!^ fast'. As others have said, hope no one got hurt. You've taken a big hit in the pocket book, consider it an expensive lesson. As for the car, not much to salvage there for a regular Joe. Probably best to drop it off to a yard.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Damn! Looks like you took quite a ride on the way there too!!

Hope nobody was taking a bath at the time!!

wrenching40plus

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 (given to bro-in-law)
Would it be worth it to try to part it out myself, or would I be better off just selling the whole thing..? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated...
Immediate recommendation: SECURE the car, i.e., prevent sabotage!! I bought a wrecked VW diesel only to find someone had loosened a couple of head bolts and also intentionally damaged the injection pump. I can't imagine the home owners are happy about this event. Also I notice the airbags deployed. IIRC, the dash must be replaced in this instance, meaning big bucks.

The insurance companies put totalled cars up for bids. Possibly your insurance agent will tell you where they send the cadavres. In Pittsburgh it used to be PASS = Pgh Auto Salvage Service.... don't know if they take cars from individuals, but why not ask?

Do you have a place to store and part-out the car? How urgently do you need the bucks? Near what city/state are you located???

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Wow, that is bad. Looking at the engine area. It may definitely bottom out bad when going over the street and the impact to the house. I don't think you will get much out of. I could be wrong without actually looking at it to see if you have been lucky on saving parts in the engine bay area. I mean there will be some parts that you will be able to sell off but it won't be much. Like others said you can get some worth if you know how to take it out yourself. I see it as a 50/50 right now until there is further pictures. Also where are you located. Location is important.

Sorry about your lost.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I was going too fast around a curve
Now there's the understatment of the year

How the heck fast were you going? That looks like a few hundred feet after you left the road

Hope only the Jetta suffered in the accident.

ZipLock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
After it left the pavement it looks like it started to travel sideways across that field, likely it didn't flip when it went over that hill and over the first driveway.

Looks like it took out that white fence too. Hopefully no one got hurt.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
This is kind of an odd first post and way to introduce yourself here at Fred's, isn't it

I hope all are OK.

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
Well, I was gonna ask about the injection pump, but on second thought...

Glad you escaped relatively uninjured. Let us know what's up.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Looks like you have grey interior, if you decide that you want to part the car out our even if you don't i would like the driver's side armrest and maybe the glove box door if they still are in good condition. Thanks!

PS sorry about your accident

RickD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JETTA TDI
Everybody seems so concerned about the driver and the car...how about the innocent people in the home.

Look at the crap they have to put up with because of this senseless act.

Is there any remorse here ???

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
how about the innocent people in the home.

Look at the crap they have to put up with because of this senseless act
I don't know, lots of "hope everyone was all right" sentiments in the thread.
As for remorse I'll bet there will be plenty when all he's driving are Nikes!

kramnnim

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 NB
Lol, I guess this was a weird first post, I've been lurking for a while...

A mechanic I know said he heard from someone at a body shop that would fix it for $5k, which didn't seem possible, but maybe... So they're going to look into it.

I think I was going around 65 when I lost control...and yes, I know how stupid that was...

I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to parting out...I change my oil, fuel filter, etc, but anything more than that is beyond me... I could probably find a place to store it, not for sure.

Nobody was hurt, my neck is a little sore, but that might not even be from the crash. Nobody was in the house, just a kid out on the front porch waiting for the bus.

Yes, the car was sliding sideways until it hit the blacktop drive, I then went airborne for 25-30 feet...I guess it straightened up somehow before it hit the house...

Oh, and that white vinyl fence- it belongs to Dale Earnhardt Jr, he has property there... (Mooresville, NC)

Oh, and yeah...the car is at a garage in Statesville, NC, about an hour from Charlotte, and an hour from Winston Salem.

ScottyP5947

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
Part the car out and buy some driving lessons.
Wow, and you have never had any type of accident?!? This is a group of nice folks. Why be so negative? The guy had an accident that I am sure that he will learn from. Geez!

Scott

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Wow, and you have never had any type of accident?!? This is a group of nice folks. Why be so negative? The guy had an accident that I am sure that he will learn from. Geez!
Yeah, and going at speeds that could have gotten someone killed - what happens if that kid had been playing in the side yard?

And if you'd have had the accident I'm quite sure nobody you know would have said "damn, how fast were you going" or "what were you thinking" </sarcasm>

Yep, I've never gotten a rash of crap for something stupid I've done.

cage

Top Post Dawg
First off it reminds me of what Click and Clack said about Jetta drivers. Second That house could have crashed into your or me on the highway before it came to rest there so with driving anything there is risk involved.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Holy smokes Batman, didnt know the batmobile could fly...

5 grand to repair all that does like a low estimate. I would hate to imagine what time of damage you did to that think when you came in for a landing. Now the cop car is kinda blocking the view so I cant tell where you hit the fence, or did you clear it...

It looks like most of the interior(minus the dash) is intact and that could bring in decent money if you decide to part it. Antenna and mount $40, if all 4 wheels are solid that could be a couple hundred right there. A fair amount of money can he had for some of the smaller parts in that car.

I'll give ya 20$ for the cupholder in the dash if you decide to part it.

On a side note, did you climb out of the car yourself or did the rescue squad remove you? Seeing as how you were taking pictures im gonna assume you didnt get backboarded. Just wondering though.

Dave

koni

TDI
2002 TDI & 1986 Jetta
At 65mph???... at that speed, you would think a TDI can hold about any curve.

I don't believe it....and plowing thru the field, getting airborne ??

You where lucky, being in a "Save Car",..hope, you have learned from this one!

If not, you should be taken offfffff the road!

jequinn

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Blue
I paid $6000.00 for a 2002 with 39k miles in about the same shape as your car - and a blown engine. If your engine is still good and the front frame isn't bent you should be able to get $4-5k (maybe on ebay?). I paid WAY too much but it's been a good hobby so far. I'll end up with about $11k into the car doing all the work myself.

If the shop is really good and YOU search for used parts I could see you getting your car fixed for $5k but I'd bet you would be better off selling entire (if it runs) or parting it out (if it doesn't run) and buying another car.

99silvertdi

Did you want to sell this car? if so what are you looking at in price and I would like to see more pictues of the damage
let me know
thanks,

menachite

TDI
Tornado Red 2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Part the car out and buy some driving lessons.

Scott
Where in there was I being negative? Did your brain put a negative spin on my post? It must have.

The poster asked for advice and I gave him an honest answer. In driving school the poster would learn proper cornering techniques and also learn not to drive like a race car driver on the regular road ways.

ScottyP5947

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
Oh it is all good man, I was putting a bad spin on it. I think indirectly saying "why don't you learn how to drive" is negative. I am not loosing sleep over it; it wasn't even me driving, I just like being nice and sharing information.
Drive safe, everyone!
Scott