Gear ratios???

WindWagen

Veteran Member
Hi Guys... couldn't find anything, so I have to ask.

What are the 5 speed gearbox ratios in a MKIV? also, the final drive? I want to figure out what the best shift RPM is...art least in theory.

thanks....

watercop

Veteran Member
Not sure about the numbers in the posted vortex link. Pretty sure my final was 3.38 before I swapped it out.

A more certain way to check might be to locate and read the 3 letter code on the transaxle and check it against the info in a Bentley CD. Mine, which I want to say was ELH, matched, at least in the area of 5th and final, the two of interest to me when I made the swap (see signature)

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Not sure about the numbers in the posted vortex link. Pretty sure my final was 3.38 before I swapped it out.

3.156 final - 2000rpm=64mph
DRW..... 2.61 Final.... 1900rpm=70.1mph... Gotta love a 6-speed

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
the 02M transmission has dual input shafts for compactness. Each shaft has its own final drive ratio...gears 1-4 have a shorter one, and 5 & 6 have a taller one.

Compare that to the Autotech/Quaife 6-speed kit, you get a new input shaft which is longer and requires a larger gearbox cover. Single final drive ratio.

SVTWEB put the 02M in his car recently...he has some detailed posts on it...run a search using him as one of the search parameters.

watercop

Veteran Member
SVTWEB -

I agree ya got me on min rpm at speed - I read thru what you went thru to obtain and install the 6 Spd - I just didn't have that much enthusiasm for that much effort.

Have you upsoluted or made any similar torue-increasing mods?

I'm not sure my bone stock engine would provide enough torque to make 70 mph / 1900 rpm except on table flat roads. The dual shaft 02M sounds heavier and more complex, as well.I'm not sure I want to row an additional gear, either - my 'stroke is a 6 Spd and that's alotta gears...

I was also interested in solving the same problem in a different manner than what you did

What mpg have you seen at 65-70 mph highway trips?

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Have you upsoluted or made any similar torue-increasing mods?

What mpg have you seen at 65-70 mph highway trips?
No engine Mods as of yet.. I have tried Upsolute and .205's but I don't like the smoke. The car pulls just fine in 6th when on the highway.

The 6-speed weighs 36 Lbs more than the 5-speed. Not a big deal. You also get a larger clutch with the upgrade wo chipping and such will not result in clutch slippage.

I have had the unit in since October, since then I AVERAGE 800 Miles to a tank, with my best yet being 862 Miles. This has been combined City/Hwy driving in temps that range from 0-70 degrees.