SEL push button start , 18" wheels

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
I'm trying to decide on the SE or the SEL do folks that have the push button start like it? Does it delay starting for glow plug heating? I was also wondering about the 18" wheels on the SEL is it a much firmer ride compared to the SEs 17" wheels. It seems you get quite a bit more in the SEL for not too much more money. Some of the extras you get in the SEL I like, some I could do fine without.

09 Jetta TDI DSG 76K
10 Jetta TDI DSG 30K
06 Jetta TDI DSG 78K sold

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
I thought the "push to Start" was a gimmick until I got my car. It is great. No fumbling with keys to get in or access the trunk. Push the start button and there will be a delay for glow plugs heat up. very minor and only when cold. Don't let the folks on this board scare you about a harsh ride or excessive noise form the 18" wheel tire combo. They look great and handle great. The ride is much improved over my JSW TDI with Conti 17' wheels.
I agree for not a lot more money you get so much more by stepping up to the SEL. Some of the standard options on the SEL you may not think you will want will be appreciated once you own the car for a while. Well worth the wait. VW could sell a lot more if they would step up TDI SEL production. I think they missed the mark in defining the profile of the current Passat buyer.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I see the SEL as the "old" level of materials. I noted several differences when test driving the SEL and then comparing to SE. The materials just seems to be of better quality.

I think the seat material for one is better. It has the inserts that breathed compared to the SE that was all leatherette. I noticed some small parts of plastic that were replaced with another type of material.

Per the sales persons, considering the source now, there are other upgrades that you do not see. I did not push the issue, but technically some things were supposed upgraded. Not sure which now because it has been a while, but I look forward to the gurus on here pointing out the information as found.

As well the 18" tires are an extra cost. Go price the 17" vs 18" online and you will see. That adds the cost. I will give them a try, but if too harsh will swap them out for 17" rims and tires. For some the 18" are better and worth the cost.

When you consider the upgrades for the $3,000 or so, it shows you are getting what you pay for. For example the better Nav system with iPod interface, larger screen and DVD playing capability. For some that is important.

The fog lights were important to me as well. You can only get them on the SEL and adding them later seemed iffy since I did not see the wiring there on the SEs. The powered BOTH front seats, the upgraded Audio system as well from Fender was significant since that is important to me on my drives. As well the keyless entry was very nice especially when your hands are full like this time of year.

Edited - I realized after posting that I was comparing the SE WITHOUT Sunroof and Nav to the SEL Premium (what my dealer had on the lot) but decided to just let it stand.

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
The 18" wheels are not an added cost, so to speak, as they are also on the next lower package (same with fog lights): SE w/DSG & Nav. That package also includes numerous other upgrades. Regardless, I agree the upcharge for SEL does seem to be worth it.

Club member Chitty has a great buyers guide with package comparisons HERE.

I don't need a SEL, but it's Nav option (RNS510) is something I plan to add (or at least similar aftermarket). Since you live in NJ, I'm guessing that having live on-screen traffic will be of value, which is my reason for wanting the RNS510. I confirmed a subscription is required @ ~$3.00/mo. but I value that over the free equivalent on my smartphone.

I am considering the SEL. I had hoped V-Tek leatherette would be the most durable seating surface, but not so on my Jetta. At 5 years and 187K all seats look brand new, except for drivers, which falling apart in the area of my left hip. I am told replacing the lower surface is very expensive due to heater elements sewn-in, so it will not be worth it replace. So the question is will leather wear better than V-tek?

Last edited:

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
After reading this I am really wishing that they would offer the manual trans WITH the SEL trim. I really miss having a manual trans (since I sold my 02 Jetta 1.8T back in 06'), and will not be without it again in my next car. I guess I can look at it as VW saving me money, but it is dumb on there part to not allow to have the manual trans with a sunroof, or SEL trim. I guess they are trying to steer us away from it like all the other US carmakers.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
My suspicion is VWoA focus grouped the Passat singularly, instead of a separate group for TDI owners. Most Americans want an auto tranny in the mid-sized family sedan demographic. And even more-so on higher trim levels. Unfortunately TDI enthusiasts are a different breed.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
True, but it takes almost nothing to drop a man tran in an SEL the runs down the same assembly line. They could of made it an order only option.

ironpen

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Another SEL feature I really like is the home-link where you store your garage door opener button info and you don't have to look for that remote all the time to get the door up. That was a big selling point for me. I also find that having the lights come on and light up where you are turning into is a big plus. The only thing extra that I wish I had is a back up camera which was not offered.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Another SEL feature I really like is the home-link where you store your garage door opener button info and you don't have to look for that remote all the time to get the door up. That was a big selling point for me. I also find that having the lights come on and light up where you are turning into is a big plus. The only thing extra that I wish I had is a back up camera which was not offered.
agreed X2

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm still having issues with the range of the home-link. My 2005 Tundra can open both my garage doors within a range of 60' or so. With my Passat, I have to almost touch the garage door with the bumper before it'll work. I thought it was a receiver (antenna) issue with the opener itself, so I lengthened the antenna wire. It still doesn't work as conveniently as the hand-held opener...I like to hit the button as I'm rolling toward the garage door, but it won't work that way.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still having issues with the range of the home-link. My 2005 Tundra can open both my garage doors within a range of 60' or so. With my Passat, I have to almost touch the garage door with the bumper before it'll work. I thought it was a receiver (antenna) issue with the opener itself, so I lengthened the antenna wire. It still doesn't work as conveniently as the hand-held opener...I like to hit the button as I'm rolling toward the garage door, but it won't work that way.

Tried holding the button LONGER? I found on some you need to hold it longer especially with the new Billion code ones. It seems to take the door longer to figure it out.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
I also have to hold the homelink button down, not just a quick push that I was used to with the remote opener. No problem now, works fine.
I also wish the back up camera was available. I think it is a good thing to have and a nice safety feature. I may add one in the future.

I still don't understand the love affair with the 6MT. This is not a performance car and if you want to get your jollies you can still control the shift points with the DGS. Who wants the jerky hoppy ride of a stick no matter how good you think you are driving a manual transmission. Getting stuck in stop and go traffic with a 6MT is lots of fun. To each his own but i don't get it.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I still don't understand the love affair with the 6MT. This is not a performance car and if you want to get your jollies you can still control the shift points with the DGS. Who wants the jerky hoppy ride of a stick no matter how good you think you are driving a manual transmission. Getting stuck in stop and go traffic with a 6MT is lots of fun. To each his own but i don't get it.
I've had both a DSG and now a 6MT, I have to say that I am loving the 6MT, it's actually a very smooth driving unit. Enjoyed the DSG too, and in some situations(stop and go traffic) I miss the DSG, but 90% of the time I'm thrilled to have the stick.....come on man, it is fun to run through the gears, it's not a race car but still enjoyable. Not to mention the added benefit of increased fuel efficiency and lower maintenance costs.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had both a DSG and now a 6MT, I have to say that I am loving the 6MT, it's actually a very smooth driving unit. Enjoyed the DSG too, and in some situations(stop and go traffic) I miss the DSG, but 90% of the time I'm thrilled to have the stick.....come on man, it is fun to run through the gears, it's not a race car but still enjoyable. Not to mention the added benefit of increased fuel efficiency and lower maintenance costs.
Agreed, there is just a feeling you get from shaking your cars hand that you cannot get from an auto.

Jay Leno puts it in an interesting way when talking about newer super cars, He says "I have been reading in certain American car magazines how some people have been attacking the new Porsche Carrera GT clutch as being too hard to use. I mean, GROW UP. Try any vintage WO Bentley or try a car with any of the great gearboxes of the past. It is an art to master any of these. And when you execute a smooth change, you feel as if you have actually accomplished something.
Let's face it, no one can go 200mph on a public road, with maybe the exception of the Autobahn. The real joy of vehicles is operating them properly and nothing satisfies like a well-executed gearshift. With paddle shifters, by the time you have any sensation you are doing 180mph, you are in jail. There is a real choreography in learning how to execute a wonderful shift quickly. To me people bonded with their cars in the early days, especially with things like the MG's or TR2's or 3s. You found what we used to call the "sweet spot": You'd reach a certain rev and know you'd only have to apply the most minimal amount of pressure and the lever would move forward. There was a great deal of pleasure and accomplishment in doing that. As supercars become more and more practical, people buy them for more practical reasons.
A friend of mine wanted to buy a Porsche but he said: "I'm going to by the automatic because in traffic..." AARGH!!! It's like having a mistress who can cook. I don't want to eat dinner. I'm not going there to have dinner."

Now while the Passat is no supercar, there is a similarity here. I am buying this car for MPG's, so I'm gonna have the trans that delivers the best mpg possible, plus have fun at the same time. A manual trans makes cars that are not fast feel alot faster than they really are.