Timing Belt On 2004 Jetta TDI.

loganpendergraft

TDI
Jetta IV
I have seen a lot of posts for timing belt changes at 100000 miles on 2003 Jettas but what about 2004? The dealership said 55000 but I think thats a little low. Anyone help me out?

Logan

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
go to vw.com. click on the owner's tab, then find service schedules. plug in your car and it will tell you the complete service schedule. Everything after 2002 is 100K mi interval, IIRC.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The dealer is either an idiot or a crook... stay away...

100,000 miles - although a slightly early change is never a bad idea...

(And if the dealer doesn't know how long the timing belt should last, does he at least know what type of oil to put inside the PD motors ?????)

Yuri.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
loganpendergraft said:
Could the high soot possibly affecting the turbo be due to the oil that was possibly used?
Where did you get that ???

If you're talking about the intake manifold and EGR assembly clogging up, that's a different matter, although it could be related to oil.

The big thing about the PD engines is that they must use an oil conforming to VW spec 505.01... If the dealer has been doing the oil changes, check your receipts for part number G052167A2. If you see a number similar to "ZVW352540S" then they definitely used the wrong oil and your warranty has been voided... as well, you can look forward to early camshaft wear...

Yuri

loganpendergraft

TDI
Jetta IV
Sorry another post. My turbo is going to have to be replaced under warranty due to underboost problems. It only has 48000 miles so I thought that was odd. A member suggested it was clogged due to the soot.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dealerships love to replace expensive components such as turbos and (on the older models) injection pumps...

The turbo vanes need to be "exercised" from time to time to keep from seizing up due to the carbon possibly building up... wrong oil certainly doesn't help, and the ultra low sulpher diesel should help, but an occasional "italian tuneup" is generally believed to help keep things moving... (IOW: if you drive like a 90-year-old grandmother, you're not doing your turbo any favors turbo...)

Yuri.