Different gear ratios?

TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd
Hello All!

I have been driving my '01 Jetta for 1.5 years now and simply love it! I have averaged 46.3mpg. Recently, my good friend and colleague made a purchase of a '99 Beetle TDI. Both of us are driving manual trannys.

We were talking this morning about RPM's at specific speeds and noticed that we are no where near the same! I was curious why there is such a difference in gear ratios between the two cars?

Here is what we have found:

Jetta - 2000RPM - 59MPH
Beetle - 2000RPM - 79.5 MPH :eek:

Is this typical? I just did not expect such a drastic difference. I am still getting a touch better mileage, but this is puzzling. Thanks!

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Sure it wasn't KM's?

Even with my new longer gears I'm running 70 at 2250 RPM. Something fishy with that Beetle.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
ride with him and check for yourself,you can really feel the difference between 60 and 80.i'll bet KM's too

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
we've got two tdi beetles in my family, 98 and 99. both are about 2550@70MPH. If your friend's isnt set in KM then I want his setup.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
79.5 km/h = 49.3990098 mph

Either way, that's wonky.

Could either the tach or speedo be out of whack?

99slugbugchick

TDI
99 beetle
ta79pr said:
we've got two tdi beetles in my family, 98 and 99. both are about 2550@70MPH. If your friend's isnt set in KM then I want his setup.
I'm Sean's friend who just bought the 99 Beetle TDI (I LOVE it!). I am quite sure I am not looking at KM's - if you've ever driven in Michigan on the freeways you KNOW if you're going 80KPH vs 80MPH. :D And I'm also sure its 79MPH at a little under 2000 RPM. As I bought it used I do not know what the previous owner did to it, but those are the numbers. If this isn't stock, any ideas what may've been done to it?

Thank you - this forum is AWESOME!

Debi

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Is your speedo GPS verified? Although, you'd know if it was THAT far off, I'd think.

Also, could the previous owner have upgraded to a .681 5th?

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Lito, So your sayign that I could have gotten the .681 gearset in the US instead of having to have one shipped over from europe? That doesnt seem right and your ratios dont add up:

Your numbers put the Jetta at 2.56 overall drive and NB at 2.649 overall drive. This gives the beetle a shorter ratio in 5th which would mean it would be turning higher RPM's than the Jetta.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
are the above posted gear ratios absolute? I have 2 NBs in the family, 98 and 99 tdi, both get approximately 2400-2550@70mph. I want more details on slugbugs rig. are there other NB owner/drivers who can give their specs?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
David, No. I can't find that .681 in ETKA. Several years ago, this question came up and I found some info on VW's site with those ratios.

Of course, now I can't find it again so I'm taking down that info unless and until I can find it.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
ok, i went out and did it, on a nice flat road, cold day (45F) 2250@70MPH. I did just clean the manifold and EGR, so perhaps that is why i remembered RPM of a few hundred higher. I want her tire size or gear set, cause 2k@80mph sounds real smooth.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
2K at 80 RPM in a 5 speed would be insane and not practical at all. Not worth it nevermind the fact there is no real way to get there. You would have to shift out of 4th at like 70 mph.

99slugbugchick

TDI
99 beetle
david_594 said:
2K at 80 RPM in a 5 speed would be insane and not practical at all. Not worth it nevermind the fact there is no real way to get there. You would have to shift out of 4th at like 70 mph.
I'm not sure I'm following - you're saying 80 mph at 2k rpm would be insane, or 2000 mph at 80 rpm? If the former, I must say I disagree. I am quite happy with the numbers - and I'm still getting 45 mpg consistantly. I can take a pic of my dials at speed if that would help.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I suspect that that's exactly your problem.

Your dials.

I think one or both is out of whack.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
How about giving us a rpm/speed for each gear. say 2000rpm what speed are you going in each gear?

There is always the posibility that the PO change the final drive geras. Or the guage is wrong.

Interesting to see. :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I just got the .681 installed on my 2000 beetle last night.

2000 RPM for me is indicated right near 68mph.
2500 rpm for me is indicated right at 80mph.

both with the new gearset in. and since its been over a month since I have had a useable 5th gear, I cannot remember what they were before the swapout.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Its 11%! So take whatever you are currently turning in 5th gear at a given speed and subtrac 11% of that.

99slugbugchick

TDI
99 beetle
well, its starting to sound like there might be something wrong with my tach. I'm pretty sure the speedometer is right. But I tested it today, and got:

1st gear 2k rpm 17 mph
2nd gear 2k rpm 32 mph
3rd gear 2k rpm 46 mph
4th <blah> 62 mph
5th <blah> 81 mph

When your engine is idling, what does your tach say?

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Sad to say your tach has issues... Should be more like

1st gear 2k rpm 17 mph 13 mph(ish)
2nd gear 2k rpm 32 mph 20 mph(ish)
3rd gear 2k rpm 46 mph 33 mph (ish)
4th <blah> 62 mph 44 mph
5th <blah> 81 mph 59 mph

The ish'es are ones I am half guessing/half remembering off hand. I think my 4th and 5th gear numbers are pretty much dead accurate though.

99slugbugchick

TDI
99 beetle
Well, you guys were right. My tach is a bad tach.:( When idling, its pretty much at zero (which I didn't really notice before). How the heck does a tach go bad? Must've been hanging with the wrong crowd.

TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd
nicklockard said:
01Jetta, what sized tires are on the car?
My current tires are the same as the full sized spare -- 195/65R15

BTW - 99SlugBugChick's dials are just fine :D We will be looking at her tach though. Thanks for all of your valuable input all! Awesome resource.

Last edited:

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
When you shut the car off does the tach needle bounce and then go below zero?

if so someone may have had the needle(s) off and didn't align them back properaly.

Or it could very well be something else.

99slugbugchick

TDI
99 beetle
no bounce - its almost like they zero'd it like you zero a non-digital ohm meter (for any other sparkys out there). When the car is idling, its pretty much at zero. I don't know how the thing works - where does it get its info? It doesn't really matter, though - it seems to be working consistently - just off. 01Jetta can take it for a spin and see what he thinks.