www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old December 15th, 2017, 07:43   #61
tdiDreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06bluebeetletdi View Post
tdiDreaming, do you lock the car every night? That could account for the shorter battery life.

It's garage kept while at home so I typically do not lock it. The ONLY thing I can think of is that this might be due to the type of driving I typically have to suffer through, although I was tackling this similar drive in my MkIV Jetta and didn't have the same issue:

-40 mile (one way) commute
-average commute time (one way) of about 1hr, 15 minutes in stop and go traffic
-I also tend to make at least a couple of phone calls during the drive via the BT connection but I can't imagine this playing that big of a factor (??)
tdiDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 13:41   #62
VernK
Veteran Member

Sad to announce the original battery gave up the ghost last night after seven years and a month. Car's got 120,000 km on it.

Replaced with a Canadian Tire Motomaster of slightly larger capacity for 158$ with the taxes.

Yours
Vern
VernK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 17:25   #63
mickyTDI
Veteran Member

Our 12 year old Passat still going on original battery.
Old August 12th, 2019, 18:21   #64
dak503

My 2013 TDI is still on it's original battery with a 105 k. I carry a jump box waited for the day it dies.
dak503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 10:49   #65
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

I just replaced my battery last week in my 2015 Passat.

Original battery with a date stamp of 0815 (February 2015).
Old August 13th, 2019, 10:51   #66
mickyTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
I just replaced my battery last week in my 2015 Passat.

Original battery with a date stamp of 0815 (February 2015).

Didn't last long!
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:47   #67
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Well... to be fair for one it was sitting for a year while dieselgate got rolling, and two I live in the desert where it frequently tops 110* in the summer.

4 years is about average here in Las Vegas.
Old August 13th, 2019, 15:47   #68
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06bluebeetletdi View Post
Proactively changed mine on the passat's 4 year build date birthday (it had sat much of the previous 18 months) - 10/22/17, delivery date is in dec 13. The bug's is original - build date 6/23/13(sold 2/4/14) I had to have a car i could guarantee would start due to medical issues.
I replaced the bugís battery in January 2018, it died a little less than a year later in my brotherís 2004 jetta. The Passatís original battery is still going in my dadís diesel combination.
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:35   #69
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well... to be fair for one it was sitting for a year while dieselgate got rolling, and two I live in the desert where it frequently tops 110* in the summer.

Your's was a NOS correct? If only the stupid dealer did a proper prep and change out the battery before selling it.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:03   #70
soot1
Veteran Member

Quote:

I had the same experience with my 2010 Jetta. I took delivery of the vehicle in early October of 2009 in Pennsylvania, and moved to Houston 3 weeks later. The vehicle was built in June of that year, and the OEM battery gave up on me in August of 2014, so if you go by the build date, the battery lasted 5 years and 2 months. If you go by the delivery date, then its lifespan was 4 years and 10 months. When I checked with my coworkers, that seemed to be about average car battery lifespan for this climatic zone. In contrast, my brother lives in much cooler climate of Central Europe, and he can easily get 10 years of service out of his batteries, which would support the common experience that hot climate has significant impact on lifespan of car batteries. BTW, I didn't have the chance to see how long the second battery in my Jetta lasted as I turned it back to VW in July of 2018, at which point it had clocked in close to 4 years of service, and it was an OEM battery from VW dealer.
soot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 14:42   #71
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Your's was a NOS correct? If only the stupid dealer did a proper prep and change out the battery before selling it.
If they tested it and it was above minimum spec, then they wouldnt replace it.

I mean, it lasted an additional two years.

Besides... I got a free battery while I worked there. So I cant complain.

Not too long before I quit, a customer brought in a 2002 Jetta with 52,000 miles on it (you might remember that thread) and the customer wanted us (them) to go through it and see what it needed to get back on the road. The battery was completely dead so first we had to install a battery just to see if it would run and pull any diag codes. Customer approved the battery and it turns out it was suggested abut $5,000 in repairs (to include a turbo).

After about 3 months, the customer fought and said she wanted her car back. She cant afford to do any of the repairs. And if she wasnt getting it fixed, she didnt want the battery either. After some fighting with the service manager and general manager, the battery was taken out and put in the scrap pile because it couldnt be sold as new anymore. Why we didnt bill it to a used car, I dont know. But I'm not going to complain about it.

I asked my manager if I could exchange one of my battery cores for that core and he didnt care as long as he had a core.

So, score for me. I put it on a charger and it measures over 700 mah. I've been storing it for about a year before my original battery died.
Old August 14th, 2019, 19:55   #72
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Bought my car in Dec 2017 and just changed the battery. No idea how old it was though. Ended up just getting one from the dealer while they were servicing the car.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 05:30   #73
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
If they tested it and it was above minimum spec, then they wouldnt replace it.
Agreed and that's why I fought with them to replace it regardless of their test. They ate the $200 cost they would have charged to replace it. Sure they lost out on $200 but they still held their line for MSRP + dealer and doc fees minus the VWoA rebates, they made a killing on us in a time they couldn't move a '17 passat any where near MSRP.

VWoA would have authorized a replacement if they failed it, same with rotors and pads.

Sadly all 4 rotors grew deposits, 30K for the front 40K for rears, fronts haven been changed out by me and I'll be tackling the rears possibly this weekend, so about $200 out of my pocket.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote