www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 12th, 2019, 07:57   #1
Zed.

Default UK based B3v, mk2 Golf & t4 (Eurovan) tdi's

Okey, I admit it, I've too many tdi'd vw's
I've been on here for 4+ years but as a reader & lurker so don't post much, thought it about time I posted some waffle

'89 B3 & '95 t4

same '89 B3, '87 mk2 Golf & the blue '92 B3 is stripped as a parts car (even kept panels including rear wing assemblies)
https://i.imgur.com/QoZLDxp.jpg
my late (for UK market) '93 B3v, was 1.8i singlepoint injection now AHU tdi'd using a '95 B4 donor, sorry but I guess everyone's seen a sorta standard install

just a comment on t4's in the UK

my '89 B3 again, also one of my 200tdi Landrover Discovery's and my '91 Eunos Roadster (Mazda Miata or MX5), the Eunos is staying with the 1.6 petrol engine as I don't think theres a high enough final-drive available to work with a low-revving tdi in it's chassis :-D
http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/vie...86ed38dcf5a56a
some B3 related wanderings, admittedly incomplete history of my time with them but something in writing
I've broken / parted probably 15 B3 & B4 cars but one day will find another with the uncommon climatronic (had a setup in the first B4 that was donor for the t4 - stupidly kept the clima electronics but binned the heaterboxes and they are hard to find here )
Rich.
Zed. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 18:46   #2
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed. View Post
the Eunos is staying with the 1.6 petrol engine as I don't think theres a high enough final-drive available to work with a low-revving tdi in it's chassis :-D
with a bigger turbo a 1.9 will breathe from 3k out to 6k rpm (and beyond, but I haven't been there yet)

Nice stable of TDIs, any pics of the eurovan engine bay? don't see a huge number of them over here, much less with the correct motor in them
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 10:30   #3
Zed.

sorta looks lost in there

used a '95 B4 Passat as tdi donor, car had 314.000+ miles behind it & believe on origonal engine!
conversion from origonal 1X (1.9D) engine so used t4's sump/pickup/dipstick & tube / engine & driveshaft mounts / coolant pipework etc. and a B5.5 Passat 'pd130' inlet manifold to have a bolted intercooler pipe flange (less rubber joints& possible leaks).
also used the car turbo & manifold to have a 'low-mount' and more room underbonnet and ease of maintanance

for the fly-by-wire throttle, vw partsbin as the '96-'99 t4's had a diferent throttle pedal & suitable bracket to mount the potentiometer.

as to intercooler, used the vw partsbin again, t5's have an oem fit front-mount that sits nicely between the grille & radiator with minor trimming of the headlamp surround and easily made brackets (although more common with the t4 numpty's is to use the huge intercooler from an LT35 / mercedes Sprinter )

90hp, cruise control & mfa dash cluster (from the donor B4) with 40+mpg so cannot complain - even welded the 'top' filler section of the t4's origonal 1X camcover onto the 1Z tdi's item for the extended oil filler neck, it's the little things like this that make a conversion liveable with :-)

Rich
Old August 16th, 2019, 06:01   #4
Zed.

been working on my tdi'd 1987 mk2 Golf (brakes siezed & needs it's first bit of welding - patch under the rear seat :-? ) and moving stuff around in the unit...
empty space

a rather 'odd' place to find rust? was starting to rot from below so time to chop it out & repair :|

the mighty '90hp' AHU tdi engine, about 175'/lbs torque standard so not slow in the light mk2 lightly fettled & de-restricted so economical & fun as a daily 8-)
one day I'll tidy the underbonnet, I have a diesel airfilter box to fit & replace the inlet manifold with one from a 'pd130' Passat to have a bolted flange connection to the intercooler pipework (not a few 'jubilee' clips!) - one day....

the 'office', loads of rare ish bits on this car, the cruise stalk (NOS in box) was a nice find as it's only used for a year or so compared to the earlier & later stalks also the td dash cluster as it has an alternator triggered tacometer to work with the diesel engine (the car is running an ecu controlled 'fly-by-wire' throttle setup but mk2 golf's didn't have ecu triggered tacometers just ignition-coil triggered so this is a 'get-around')
also, Cruise working on a cable speedometer, used a hall-sensor on the rear of the speedometer to supply the vss to the ecu.
Ce1 wired car with adapted Ce2 engine loom, the car actually became tdi powered 3 years ago yesterday
must find intrest to weld the t4, it's mot expired in january & has been sitting in the unit since while still insured

another better photo of the t4's enginebay

more waffle to come....

Rich.

Last edited by Zed.; August 16th, 2019 at 06:10.
Old August 21st, 2019, 14:02   #5
mogly
Veteran Member

Cool to see some T4 content.

i have to ask, when you are in a market that has the 2.5L ACV TDIs available, why you would swap in a 1.9L? People do the 4 cylinder 1.9L swaps here because they're available and relatively inexpensive.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 15:08   #6
Zed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogly View Post
Cool to see some T4 content.
i have to ask, when you are in a market that has the 2.5L ACV TDIs available, why you would swap in a 1.9L? People do the 4 cylinder 1.9L swaps here because they're available and relatively inexpensive.

the 2.5 tdi is a terrible engine

in my opinion - not great ecoomy, expensive to maintain, usually done more miles than the starship enterprise BUT without the maintanance, harder to work on than the 1.9 / 4 cylinder (room in engine bay)
also, the 90hp 1.9tdi (1z & ahu) is similar in power before fiddling (the 2.5tdi's are either 88hp or 102hp commonly in UK, there is a 150hp version but thats rarely seen here as it seems to have been a euro only option )
the 2.4 & 2.5 are sorta fragile when in their higher millage whereas the 1.9's will keep running unless completely doomed!

2.5tdi engines carry a high pricetag when looking for a 'good' one, 1.9tdi engines are common in many possible donors

also, the 1.9tdi is almost a 'like-for-like' conversion and readily available, can be an easy weeks work drive-in / drive-out and even a busy weekends work if pushed

Sorta...

Rich.
Old Yesterday, 03:09   #7
mogly
Veteran Member

Appreciate the feedback.

I knew you guys only got the 88 and 102hp units. You're correct 90 is basically smack in the middle. Curious, have you ever fitted a VNT to any of your T4 4 cylinder TDI conversions? Any pics of the T5 FMIC fitted?
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:52   #8
Zed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogly View Post
Appreciate the feedback.
I knew you guys only got the 88 and 102hp units. You're correct 90 is basically smack in the middle. Curious, have you ever fitted a VNT to any of your T4 4 cylinder TDI conversions? Any pics of the T5 FMIC fitted?
I'm currently looking into converting a mk4 golf (ve engine type) wiring loom to the Ce2 fusebox connection, when done this will go on the t4 and I'm looking into vnt turbo fitment & manifolds (possibly using parts from Seat alibaba / vw sharron / ford galaxy?)

as to the intercooler, I'll sort some photo's later

but I wrote a 'how-to' on one of the farcebonk grops

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8899...3133594801451/

Rich.
Old Yesterday, 09:36   #9
Josh_WA
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed. View Post
the 2.5 tdi is a terrible engine

in my opinion - not great ecoomy, expensive to maintain, usually done more miles than the starship enterprise BUT without the maintanance, harder to work on than the 1.9 / 4 cylinder (room in engine bay)
also, the 90hp 1.9tdi (1z & ahu) is similar in power before fiddling (the 2.5tdi's are either 88hp or 102hp commonly in UK, there is a 150hp version but thats rarely seen here as it seems to have been a euro only option )
the 2.4 & 2.5 are sorta fragile when in their higher millage whereas the 1.9's will keep running unless completely doomed!

2.5tdi engines carry a high pricetag when looking for a 'good' one, 1.9tdi engines are common in many possible donors

also, the 1.9tdi is almost a 'like-for-like' conversion and readily available, can be an easy weeks work drive-in / drive-out and even a busy weekends work if pushed

Sorta...

Rich.

Thanks for the insight!
Josh_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:49   #10
Zed.

something else to add into the mix, diferent inlet manifolds....
1. volvo 5cylinder 2.5tdi (vw engine).
2. cutdown volvo 5cylinder.
3. Inline ‚PD130‘ (Passat & Audi A4/A6).
4. 1.9tdi either1Z or AHU type (golf mk3 or B4 Passat).
5. ‚round-port‘ 1.6td mk2 golf / B3 Passat td (SB code engine).
6. 1.9td (ABL code from t4 Shown).
7. Transverse ‚PD130‘ (golf/bora etc.).
8. Transverse ‚100/110hp (inline opposite).

and another

the top manifold is from a Volvo 240 that had the vw 6 cylinder diesel (or turbo diesel), It's something I'm considering chopping up but another 'rainy-day' wondering...
theres also the 'snail-shell' type manifold as fitted on the 'SDI' engines, possibly great for bigger power / bigger turbo engines - I've also got one of them in the garage

on the t4 I've used the inline-fit 'pd130' type manifold, was a neat method of a bolted-flange connection to a single long metal intercooler with a single sillycone / rubber joiner to the intercooler.
will sort the intercooler fitment writeup tomorow

Rich.