200,000 mile club... roll call!

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
The bucking, stumbling and hesitation that is
prevelant driving around town is pathetic.
those are fixable. the car should be fine.

your intake is probably clogged, the snowscreen might be full... the intercooler could be full of oil... the injectors could be worn out and spraying poorly... the pump could also be suffering from poor lubrication or just age...

lots of reasons... no reason it should be doing those things...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
GeWilli, I'm on track for 60k miles in the first year (57k+ with 19 days remaining til anniversary). So, I should catch up with you about.... never.

I'm just aiming for 300k miles by sometime in 2008, 500k miles in 2011. But my 9-year-old niece will need a car in 2010, so -- no, Hannah, Uncle Jerry gets the new TDI and you get the old one!

Vigee

OK. Thanks for the response...Intake is clear, EGR is OK,
Air cleaner intake is not plugged. Car has plenty of power. This car been doing this since the 1st timing belt change (61K) and has progressively gotten worse. I have been to
5 different dealers and all they do is tell me the car has high mileage and time for a new one. If so, I can guarantee them, this will be the last VW for me. Have driven over 550,00 in two VW diesels, but the TDI has been the worse driver around town. On the open road it is outstanding.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hi Vigee, I would bet the farm that it is the IQ (Injetion Quantity) giving you the shuddering. It's too rich and most likely below 2.0 mg/stroke. Find a club member who has a Vag-Com and have them increase the IQ (increase = leaner) to 3.0 or so in adaption. If the adaption parameter doesn't lean it out to at least 3.0, a hammer mod will need to be performed. Most dealer's are clueless regarding this remedy and they will sucker most into replacing the FIP. Worse comes to worse, this can be performed at the 04 TDIFest in New England and I will do it for you if you come. Later!

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Don't worry Jeff, you still have the highest mileage for a 2001!!!
Nope, Dave. According to the post just before your name was mentioned, "tonsofun" in Canada (also a medical courier) has that honor now. His 2001 Golf passed me about 1,000 miles ago if my metric conversions are correct. Guess I'll have to get back to work so I can keep the race going!

Jeff in Texas
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Only 235,100 miles since 4/1/01 and climbing!

Vigee

Thanks for the reply. I don't really have, what I would call shuddering, as an apparent "misfiring" between 1150 and 1500 RPM with a light throttle, among other things.May take you up on the timing at the TDI fest, if I can't find anyone else to check the injection pump timing. It's about 1 1/2 hours from my house. The Jetta is a comfortable car to drive, otherwise ...seating and handling wise....

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I think I need to consider a career change. This real estate courier gig doesn't provide enough miles each day/week/year.

steam4

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS, Silver
Nope, Dave. According to the post just before your name was mentioned, "tonsofun" in Canada (also a medical courier) has that honor now. His 2001 Golf passed me about 1,000 miles ago if my metric conversions are correct.
Oops......how did I miss that post?!?

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Here!

...finally:) !

big TTT for this thread!

turns

While to many of you the 200K benchmark is a distant memory, we finally managed to turn it in our "favorite" ride! With the help of a recent trip from Boston to Bonita Springs FL and back (this is the level of faith we have in this car--at 198K, our highest mileage vehicle--it was the hands-down choice of which car to take on this road trip!), we were pretty close. For the past couple weeks we were within 5 miles, but given the "roads we've travelled" neither one of us wanted to hit the mark alone. We waited for our area's monthly get together, a fitting journey to hit the mark! I asked the car.."You ready to do this?" and after close to two weeks of sitting out in some really cold weather, and a long glow plug burn
...our beloved Krappy fired right up, as new :cool: ! !

Ya, this is the A4 section...but it's more about the 200K mark right?? After all, this threads' originator has just finally come around and aquired a B4V himself!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Congratulations. As you may have noticed IBW hit this milestone last week.

So it only took Krappy about twice as many years to get there as it took IBW. But then again my wagon's faster. :p

Ironically my two lowest mileage TDIs are my A3 and B4. And my highest mileage ones are the red Golf and IBW.

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Congratulations. As you may have noticed IBW hit this milestone last week...
I knew you were close but I didn't see that, NICE!

IndigoBlueWagon said:
............But then again my wagon's faster. :p..
LOL!! Mmmmaybe ;) ! Here's the stats from my return trip. Top it and get back to me :eek:

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Jetter_Sprinta said:
I knew you were close but I didn't see that, NICE!

LOL!! Mmmmaybe ;) ! Here's the stats from my return trip. Top it and get back to me :eek:
Disclaimer:
My right foot had nothing to do with those numbers :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Is that for real? If so, very, very impressive. That was with snow tires, right?

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
276,899 and counting. I was hoping to have over 350k by now but work travel has slowed down. All this milage and I still smile when I figure my MPG. Car really runs better than new (Thanks to the TDI Club and it's members). I am looking for another 134K and then I think I'll buy a new one.:) :)

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Well lets see, the Nb has 245, the Corolla had 280 as i remember when it was sold and the 86 truck was sold with 325. Oh you meant TDI. Well the NB has 245.

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
McDyslexicDrivergink said:
Disclaimer:
My right foot had nothing to do with those numbers :D
So you drive with your left foot??

And no snowtires. They didn't make it on till the 4th or 5th bad storm in December. It was in heavy rain, tho.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
This is really impressive stuff. King5, didn't you have a car with 500,000 on it? If not, who was that masked member of this club? :eek:

It's good to see that it's possible to get up this high on the odo. This thread should be moved to the general discussion area so that other vehicles with high numbers can show their faces....

~BeetleGo

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
LOL - congrats - my new B4V had turned 200k just before I got it... welcome to the club...

300k on the Golf isn't too far off, only a few more years at the rate we're driving it...

kooz

TDI
2018 Chevy Cruze Hatchback, Diesel, 6 speed manual, Gray Metallic
approaching 248,000 and have loved every mile!!

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Currently sitting at 263,000 with the 99.5. 300K not that far off now.

Its due for another TB now. Dang thing only lasts 100K miles!!!

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
213,000 miles on my '05 MkIV Jetta. Just recently upgraded to a VNT-17 turbo and got a retune with some updated software on my stage II rocket chip. It drives and runs better than ever.

loco engineer

TDI
Passat 2005 jetta 1999.5
Ok, I'll chime in here. I've got 285,000 on my 99.5 Jetta. It's had 1 clutch, 1 set of nozzles, 2 sets of axles, an alternator, a starter and just last week an injection pump. Love this car!

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
My GPS used to say something over 500mph before someone messed with it and it cleared everything. I forgot it on in my bag while flying. :D

I knew you were close but I didn't see
that, NICE!

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
I turned 200k miles just about 2 weeks ago....original clutch, brakes and turbo....want to see how far I can go on the original stuff.