Blower fan knob REALLY hot

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hi all,

I'm playing with my air-conditioning system due to the high heat here in Washington DC area.

My 96 B4 wagon fan speed knob on the dash is really hot to the touch on any fan position except off.

Does anybody else have this as an issue? I assume this is high resistance of an old blower motor, but was wondering if anybody else had any ideas of what this could be. Is there a blower motor relay that might be acting up?

Has anybody tried to lubricate the blower motor without tearing the system apart? I'm wondering if I could lubricate it through the cabin filter area?

Thanks,

Steve

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
I had the same issue and came up with this to fix it. No more hot knob!

Others have taken the bezel apart and cleaned the contacts on the selector knob with varying amounts of success. The blower motor itself is quite easy to remove - just pull out the passenger's side of the knee bar and there it is.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Wow, that's some fix!
Thanks... For now I may try the clean the contacts method first... As I'm a bit time crunched before my road trip.
Regards,
Steve