dismantling center console to adjust parking brake?

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I'm stuck...

Following the Bentley instructions for dismantling the aft portion of the center console (MK5 Jetta TDI with DSG) to access the parking brake cable adjuster.

I have managed to locate all of the screws, and the assembly is somewhat loose, but the next step apparently requires unclipping the rear cover/cupholder portion that faces the rear seat passengers.

For the life of me I cant seem to figure out to detach that from the main assembly.

Do I need to pry them apart with a flat bladed screwdriver or similar tool, or is there a magic wand of some kind that I am missing?

.. perhaps I just haven't applied enough alcohol??

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Effective... but not a very elegant method!

Also, learning that some 2009-later models had a built in inverter makes me wonder how easily that might be modded into a 2006.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Effective... but not a very elegant method!

Also, learning that some 2009-later models had a built in inverter makes me wonder how easily that might be modded into a 2006.
My '06 has the built in inverter. The hole is hidden behind it, and essentially is invisible. Not to mention I made a much cleaner cut than in the how to... :)

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
My '06 has the built in inverter. The hole is hidden behind it, and essentially is invisible. Not to mention I made a much cleaner cut than in the how to... :)
Did you salvage the inverter from another car, or order it new someplace?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
If you have a center console with the MDI built into it, is it possible to remove the MDI and get access to the adjustment bolt from the top?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
If you have a center console with the MDI built into it, is it possible to remove the MDI and get access to the adjustment bolt from the top?
I may be wrong, but I do not think that is possible.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
No MDI in my case... time for some dremel surgery!

Update.. certainly not pretty, but on the upside it will facilitate easier access in the future for parking brake adjustments.

Last edited: