Fans not working

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SE & 06' TDI Jetta
So my accessorie fan gave out, it had too much play/movement so I ordered a new one and replaced, I crank the car it starts, turn on AC and fan won't star, the AC turns on fine it blows air but of course is not cold as the fan is not cooling the condenser...is there anything that needs to be reseted after replacing the fan? The fan was ordered using the part number on the old fan.

2006 TDI jetta BRM engine.

any ideas please let me know.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Is the refrigerant pressure switch giving the correct data to the Climate module? That car needs to see pressure on the high side in order to turn the fans on. If necessary, they will increase in speed, but unlike some of the earlier cars there has to be some pressure beyond static to make the fans come on.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
*shrugs* when I turn my A/C on my fan goes to full throttle almost immediately.

Just serviced the A/C and it's got the proper charge levels.

Manual HVAC.

oilhammer

TDI
*shrugs* when I turn my A/C on my fan goes to full throttle almost immediately.

Just serviced the A/C and it's got the proper charge levels.

Manual HVAC.
The BRM engine needs pressure for the fans to come on. If the compressor is not making any, the fans will not come on.

Working compressor on a hot day, the fans will come on quickly because the pressure builds quickly. The OP probably has no compressor operation most likely due to a bad RCV, assuming the system is charged. Again, a scan tool will quickly confirm this in about 15 seconds. This is VERY common. The RCVs fail a LOT in any and all compressors that use them. Fortunately, for the ones in these cars (usually Sanden) they are easily replaced and not terribly expensive.

However, if this started when the fan(s) were replaced, then maybe the pressure switch plug or wire got bumped or broken. Again, scan tool will confirm this.

Last edited:

nicknack2

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SE & 06' TDI Jetta
Oilhammer,
You are correct, the fan was working properly other than having excessive play and started rubbing on the shroud...
Scan tool are you talking about a regular obdm or an actual vag com? Can the switch be bridged like in the old days and have the fan come on? And where is the switch located?

oilhammer

TDI
You need any VAG-specific scan tool that can access the Climatronic/Climatic module. VCDS will do that.

The switch is really more of a pressure sensor, G65 High Pressure Sensor, to be specific. It is a conventional three wire sensor. Power, Ground, and Signal return back to the J255 Climate module.

So, no, you cannot "jump it". It is not an ON/OFF type of deal. You need to see what the Climate module sees. If the compressor command is there when you switch the A/C on, then you can watch the G65 sensor signal (it should ramp up quickly).

Of course, the Climate module may already have a stored DTC anyway. Again, without a scan tool, you'll never know.

The G65 is located beneath the passenger side headlamp assembly, down low, in the engine compartment, in the high side line near the connection to the condenser. It is very near one of the four fan shroud screws you would have had to remove, so you were right there. I would just check to make sure nothing got pulled loose since you say it was working before.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
If I remember, the a/c fan runs off the main fan, it cannot be jumped, I replaced both fans and they work fine, the a/c fan has brushes that hang up, I had the same problem, only got cool air on the highway, was told if you try to jump the a/c fan it fries the control board.

oilhammer

TDI
There is no "A/C fan", in that both fans run together. The non-A/C cars (of which none are sold here) do not have the extra (small) fan though.

This is not like some (usually older, an not Volkswagen) cars where one fan is for the engine cooling and a second fan is dedicated JUST for when the A/C is on, and they operate independently of one another.

With the Volkswagens, the fans always run together. In the A5 cars like yours, the small right hand fan is run off of the large left hand fan, and the control module is inside the left hand fan. And that module communicates with other modules (the engine and climate, in particular) to get the information it needs to operate the motors. That is what the two small wires are for in the connector: communication, the small green wire goes straight to the engine controller. The big wires are power and ground.

Last edited:

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
The A/C in my Jetta isn't working. The cooling fans aren't turning on when I turn on the A/C but they will turn on if I remove the AC fuse.

Does this mean low refrigerant or a bad RCV? To replace the RCV do I need to have the refrigerant removed first?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I don't know the answer to your first two questions, but I do know that you definitely have to remove the refrigerant gas before replacing the RCV. (I need to do mine again, after 6 years.)

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
Turns out is was empty on refrigerant so that's why the fans were not turning on. Got it pressure tested and there is a leak but they could not find it. They filled it with dye and refrigerant and asked me to come back in 2 days to see if they can find the leak.