Oil Pan Sealing

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
I re-ringed my B4 a couple of years ago, and since then have had a minor but annoying oil pan leak. The pan had been dented by the PO so it may not be square anymore. Now I have a shiny new pan and a new windage tray gasket.

I also have a tube of the magic Dirko. You guys that have a dry pan....did you use a sealant?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I use a dab of Hylomar, only at the seal plate seams.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The front and rear seal carriers.

I put a dab of sealant where the aluminum meets the cast iron, (at the bottom of the block) where the pan gasket would be. Technically, Hylomar is used like contact adhesive, so a total of 8 dabs.

Use whatever sealant you trust.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you're talking about the windage tray that's built into the gasket then I don't think a sealant is necessary except as noted by Todd.

I've used a similar treatment when replacing the pan gasket.

Steve

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I use Castle EZ Bead on my oil pan. Castle is a semi local company to me , out of Rochester NY. They wholesale to garages and auto parts stores. I finally found their product on amazon if I remember correctly.

I just used a thin film to supplement my BEW valve cover also, and I seem to be dry so far.

http://www.castlepackspower.com/index.cfm?Page=Castle E-Z Bead RTV

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
I would up with using a bit of Dirko on the corners by the four block end seams but otherwise installed it dry. I'll report back in a week or so. Thanks guys.

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
I've done maybe 10, 15 TDI oil pans, mostly ALH, and haven't had any leak (that I know of; some I saw months or years later but most went on their merry way). I clean both surfaces *thoroughly*, and use Right Stuff silicone sealer.