Ac compressor stopped pumping?

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Ok so it's been a while since the ole Girl has acted up and of course the heatwave has arrived and my Ac is on the blink. The compresser is running however the suction (low side is 110) and barley pumping. This compresser was used and installed last season it seems as though the valves are malfunctioning.. Or???
Should I simply go and get another and hope for the best? The charge was weighed in and oil added as needed.(Done professionally).
Any help would be appriciated..

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
What is the high side pressure? Sounds like your rcv is bad. Not a difficult fix.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Hmm I have yet to check the high side because it's not pumping I'll end up loosing that charge in the hose. I suppose I can check it since I'm more than likely going to have to pull the charge anyway. What should the high side be if the Rcv has failed? What are the symptoms of a failure? I installed this compressor last year after purchasing from a local Foreign auto salvage and it worked flawlessly. Can it possible be the capacity control? I read that this is also an issue with these cars...
Thanks

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
It could be a lot of things, check the FAN thread sticky. I would also check the resistance on the a/c clutch device, it should have a minimal resistance and not a open circuit, fairly common for them to fail. Check your fans for operation when you get it fixed, most likely one or both are not working.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Should have mentioned the fans are all good repaired them as part of the initial repair. As far as the clutch goes it seems to be engaging properly is there a procedure to check it properly? I should have mentioned I'm a licensed Hvac Tech.of 30 plus. Been around the block just not with VAG. So looking for a little guidance is all...
Thanks

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The RCV on the compressor is likely bad. If so it's $100 in parts to replace it (including gaskets, new dryer and such) and since you're a licensed tech actually recharging it is no big deal once replaced. You won't know if the internals of the compressor are ok until you open it up to change the RCV, but it's odds on that's what's going on and if so it's an easy fix.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
So the Rcv is the refrigerant capacity control valve in the compressor? What are the symptoms of this device being bad? Is there some sort of a way to determine that this is indeed the defective part? I have not changed parts in many years alway like to know for sure.. I'm thinking if there is know way of knowing defiantly it may be simpler to just get another compressor? Is there a definitive guide out there somwhere to troubleshoot this?
I have the Bently manual but it's very vague with its troubleshooting of GE Ac system.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
When you hook up both the high and low side to an ac pressure tester the pressures between the two will be close......this not good . Usually the low side will read aroun 35-40 psi while the high is substantially higher.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
So this will tell me the Rcv is defective? (high&Low side will be close)
I know what the normal pressures look like just want to be sure about the part that I am replacing. What actually is accuring to cause these pressures to be close?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Correct; normally the low side will be around ~30psi, and the high depends on the temperature and (to some extent) charge level. Be aware you CANNOT charge by high/low pressures with these cars because the RCV makes the compressor variable-displacement! You thus have to do it by weight; the risk with any AC system is that if you grossly overcharge the low side will suck in liquid and hydrolock, which usually destroys the compressor.

If the RCV is not working the usual symptom is that the unit really doesn't pump much at all and thus the high and low side pressures are quite close (and usually around ~70-100psi.) It's also possible the valve plate is no good in the unit or there's mechanical damage but you'll see that when you go to replace the RCV if it's the case.

The primary risk in going to change the RCV is that if you take the compressor apart to change it and there's internal damage you now have a RCV (and seal set) you don't need and they're typically non-returnable. Changing it is not particularly difficult but of course as with any nominally sealed system you want to be very careful not to get any crap into the lines or compressor while you have the back off it.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
So I finally got around to gathering all the parts and taking an afternoon to install them.
Anyone who has this condition should simply order this valve with a set of gaskets and O-rings along with a filter drier and do it. My Ac has never worked better! Now my only hope is that the aftermarket (Chinese valve) holds up! I thought I was ordering a real ref. Control valve but what came in the mail was the typical unmarked box that is the China Copy.
Boy oh boy do I ever long for the Made in America Days!
It works For now....
This repair is the real deal and I indorse it!!
I want to thank Hollowhead & Genisis for guiding me through this!!
One must examine the condition of the compressor before moving forward.
The oil must be clean with no contaminants and move freely without binding...
If this is the case go for it!!
Thanks again to Hollowhead& Genisis!

Last edited:

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
The parts were researched over the net and purchased in the end on Amazon. There are several sources that they can be purchased however prices are all close. My desission to go through Amazon was about time to ship... Could not stand driving in the heat we have had.

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle DSG Trans.
Checking my A/C I got a 70PSI at idle and about 210 high. I'm thinking even with some throttle it won't get below 70. 190K miles. Any decent aftermarket compressors ??