2007 GMC Canyon TDI Project

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I have been working on this a little bit at a time for about 1 year now. Mainly just collecting some parts and developing the complete picture of how everything will work. I am getting close now so thought I would start to share some pictures.

Concept was originally a 2008 Ranger, but I like the canyon better and came with a 5000 lbs towing capacity and limited slip differential so I traded the Ranger straight across for the Canyon. Lot more parts available on the market for drop kits and accessories too. I intend to install a cab controlled air ride after the engine is in place. I want to be able to drop it 5/4 for high way driving, and lift when on short back road drives. I will also be able to level it when pulling trailers.

This one came with a 5cyl I5 and 4L65E auto transmission. It turns at around 2200 RPM at 110 kph. Very good gearing in place for TDI. I wanted to do the build first with the factory transmission. If I am happy with automatic, I have a 6L80E to swap in. If I am not happy with the Auto, I will go to a T56.

My transplant engine is a 2011 CJAA CR 2.0 TDI with 3000km on it. Yes, it is squeaky clean and just like new!:D

This is a picture of an engine being floor tested with the harness and ECU that was made up for my CR engine by Johan @ Van Vaught.

Video of run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUsCY69oUv0

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I have already been running one of these things to asses the problems and opportunities there are in the project.

http://www.usshift.com/

I ordered it with the harness and was a fairly easy installation. Shift points are a lot more firm and it locks the torque converter at as low as 1400 RPM as far as I can tell. Comes with laptop software to custom create shift points.

I discovered the down side is that I am using a TPS, and this does not work with the cruise control system. The controller will drop line pressure off as soon as TPS position drops off with removal of ones foot from pedal. The only solution around that is to tag team it with a aftermarket cruise control system.

http://www.rostra.com/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php

Best idea I could come up with was a cable link to the TDI pedal, or one other idea I am working on in my mind...not sure about it yet.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
First step is prepping the engine.
The OEM accessory bracket holds A/C and alternator only. I will replace this bracket from a 2010 Audi A4 2.0TDI. To do this I have to remove the high pressure fuel pump, timing belt, alternator, etc.

The CJAA OEM bracket also covers one of the bolt holes for the driver side engine mount.

New bracket installed.

Bolt hole is clear to install motor mount. motor mount from 2004/5 Passat TDI.

Installation of wire harness.

A bit of a problem. North American engines have pressure sensor GP. Apparently many European CR engines have only GP. The connectors do not fit. Rather than snipping the connectors off and replacing them, Johan has some European GP on way to me. I hope! :eek:

Harness connector for crank position sensor went missing. Had to splice a new one on.

Making boss for factor EGT using coupling nut and bolt.

Boss installed. Oh yeah..that is the custom log manifold I built in the fall. The paint is good for around 1800F.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I will be using this O2 sensor. I will mount a bung on the turbo down pipe after the engine is installed as I am not sure what my down pipe will look like yet.

Recirculating heater to be installed.

This is the thermostat octopus assembly on the CJAA. I don't like it. Too many hoses to plug off when not using EGR system.

The new thermostat system has a different fitment than the old style. Note length and oring.

The block is also machined differently to accept this new design.

Old style thermostat housing. I will be using one from a BHW TDI with a bit of a trick.

This is how the block is machined for the old style.

I will make an adapter that will fit old thermostat housing to new block opening.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Custom actuator mounting bracket on turbo.

The turbo is a custom built unit. It was designed to be a HP turbo in a compound setup. I do plan to turn this project into a compound turbo next year.

Turbo is mounted. Need a new oil feed line and oil return line. Buying a feed line and a few other bits from Ryan@Darkside.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Transmission, torque converter, flex plate and starter all bolt up nicely. Had one small problem to resolve with crank adapter so sent it back for an adjustment.

There is a little snout on the crank that has to be removed.

No need to be fancy about it. Used the angle grinder.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Note the water outlet on the back of the head. Extra hoses for EGR system. It is bulky and not clean. I am going to replace this with a custom machined aluminum fitting. I will also include 3 GP in the new part for added heat in winter driving conditions.

I hope to really clean up the final look of the CR engine.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
very nice project ... good info on the audi a4 tdi bracket that has power steering ... looks like it's coming together ... BTW its spelled "assess" the way you have it spelled is the plural of backside ;) ... hahaha!!!!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
very nice project ... good info on the audi a4 tdi bracket that has power steering ... looks like it's coming together ... BTW its spelled "assess" the way you have it spelled is the plural of backside ;) ... hahaha!!!!

Thanks. yes. its moving along ok now. It was slow going for the first 8 months and the price of winter diesel this past season did not help my motivation. Now things are coming together quick. Hoping to floor test the engine in 2-3 weeks and then I will do a 7 day marathon to get it in and driving. I have an OEM diesel pump from the Thailand Colorado..not sure if it will fit my NA tank yet so that is a bit of a variable.

Thanks for the spell check. :p normally I use Word and then paste but in a big hurry these days.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Thanks. yes. its moving along ok now. It was slow going for the first 8 months and the price of winter diesel this past season did not help my motivation. Now things are coming together quick. Hoping to floor test the engine in 2-3 weeks and then I will do a 7 day marathon to get it in and driving. I have an OEM diesel pump from the Thailand Colorado..not sure if it will fit my NA tank yet so that is a bit of a variable.

Thanks for the spell check. :p normally I use Word and then paste but in a big hurry these days.
I just replaced my intank tacoma FI pump with a bosch unit from an 85 ford ranger.... this particular application uses a low pressure in-tank pump which feeds a high pressure frame mounted pump ...the nice thing about this pump is if it fails the fuel can still be sucked through very easily ....it's rated from 3-6 psi and 55gph ...initial impressions: easily more power over 3k rpm and the power delivery is smoother, I owe that to eliminating the restrictive bypass regulator I was using....just an option if the thai sourced pump does not work ;)

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
Great thread. Are you on any of the Colorado/Canyon forums? I'm sure those guys would get a kick out of this. Makes me want my Colorado back so I could do this to it.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Awesome, love these threads and idea's.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I just replaced my intank tacoma FI pump with a bosch unit from an 85 ford ranger.... this particular application uses a low pressure in-tank pump which feeds a high pressure frame mounted pump ...the nice thing about this pump is if it fails the fuel can still be sucked through very easily ....it's rated from 3-6 psi and 55gph ...initial impressions: easily more power over 3k rpm and the power delivery is smoother, I owe that to eliminating the restrictive bypass regulator I was using....just an option if the thai sourced pump does not work ;)
Sorry to hijack. What made you think your fuel regulator was restrictive Jim? Were you monitoring fuel pressure at the inlet to the pump? I'm intrigued by your find... I take it you still needed to run a 2nd return line?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Sorry to hijack. What made you think your fuel regulator was restrictive Jim? Were you monitoring fuel pressure at the inlet to the pump? I'm intrigued by your find... I take it you still needed to run a 2nd return line?
i actually didn't think i had an issue with the regulator until my fuel pump relay melted down leaving me stranded for the first time ever ... i think i was choking the stock HP/HV pump back so much it overloaded the circuit ...so i went with a pump that allowed me to eliminate the regulator and the second return line ... more power over 3k was a surprising result ... i always attributed the slight tapering above 3k to the tune compensating for smallish turbo/larger displacement ... still trying to wrap my head around the "why" ... i too apologize for the hijack and i'll continue the convo on my taco thread ...

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Hmm. I have a 85 dodge ram 50 with diesel engine..same as the ranger..so may be I have that pump. Just been sitting in bush for 10years.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Great thread. Are you on any of the Colorado/Canyon forums? I'm sure those guys would get a kick out of this. Makes me want my Colorado back so I could do this to it.
I signed up on one of them. Posted a question sone tme ago looking for feedback relared to aftermarket controler for transmisson. Specific problems related to it. Nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. Havnt been back since. I have very limited time so one thread is enough. :)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've thought about doing this to my 07 Canyon but know that my wife wold have me committed. Only option would be if either one of my TDIs got totaled, then I would have an engine to use. I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes for you. My truck is the 4 cyl with a 5 speed manual. Do you think I could still use that tranny if I were to do a swap?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I've thought about doing this to my 07 Canyon but know that my wife wold have me committed. Only option would be if either one of my TDIs got totaled, then I would have an engine to use. I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes for you. My truck is the 4 cyl with a 5 speed manual. Do you think I could still use that tranny if I were to do a swap?
I am not familiar with the bell housing so not sure. It is usually fairly easy to make bell housing and crank/flywheel adaptations. I find locating a good position for the starter is one of the more difficult parts of the design. You might consider the Toyota tranny for an off the shelf solution.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
thanks guys. :) I am at work this week (a mine) but back later this week. will have more progress on the weekend and early next week.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Back at home. Did a few more odds and ends tonight.

The EGT probe had been cut, I found a connector and spliced it back on. Used some liquid electrical tape. Will slide the high temp protective cover over splice area after it dries.

One of the fuel hoses was split from the autowrecker when they drain out the fluids. I have a spare from another fuel system I have here. Replaced it.

Mounted the A/C Pump

Does anybody know which is the high pressure line going to the condenser?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
My steering pump has the wrong pulley. It is a 5 groove, but need the wider 6 groove. Any one have a spare?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Still don't have a resolution on the GP connectors. I am thinking of cutting of the Euro plug and soldering on my NA plug. Only question in my mind is that the I am not sure if there is a difference in voltage, or current, or PWM requirements between the two different types of GPs. My harness came with a GP controller that was tested and worked with the Euro GPs. :confused:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
:eek:
Now I know why I keep seeing small patches of oil everywhere the engine sits. thought it was a loose drain plug (it was loose). It is a dent and crack in the oil pan. I have a few pans so I will swap it out this weekend.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Oil pan removed. No balance shaft assembly. Looks like VAG has run from this concept. While I had this apart I took some measurement for the oil pick-up and the oil pan. I will need to calculate out a new fill level because my engine is going to be straight up and down, not slanted 20deg. I will mark this on the dipstick.

New oil pan installed.

A few parts from RyanP. Always amazed how fast he gets things to me. 3 days!
Needed a serpentine belt, new turbo oil supply line, few missing specialty bolts for my acc. bracket, and an adapter for the turbo outlet..going from the socket and clip to a 2" barbed fitting. sweet!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
yeah, the CJAA is sans balancer assembly unlike the earlier CBEA.... I've never had the pan off of one and it looks like it uses the smaller BRM style oil pump gear .... on transmission controllers here's a Car Craft article that compares several different control units...article is a couple of years old so there may be more choices now but it's an interesting read nonetheless ....