2003 tdi Water pump seized

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
My water pump seized at 136,000 Km and stripped the cogs off the timing belt. All the lifters are even indicating all the valves are closed and back
in proper position. I could have slight valve damage or piston/bent rods? Cranking the engine over by hand I have some compression on each cylinder (cam shaft removed). I can hear slight hissing. That could be bits of carbon jarred loose and under valve seats? 2 lifters have the slightest mark from the lobe. It's so slight that you could probably get away without replacing but I have ordered a new set.
Do I need to pull the head? Anyway to check to be sure it's ok to reassemble?

Thanks

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
If I pull the head what will I look for? How will I know which valves to replace if they all look fine. I could have an engine rebuilder pull it apart and check to make sure the seats are
true. But if they were bent wouldn't, the lifters not return fully, or is it possible the spring tension as enough to pull a slightly bent value straight leading to a flexing valve stem and eventual failure?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The valves hit the pistons at a right angle so they don't bend, they just compress. Once you get the head off, you will see witness marks where the valves hit the pistons. Those are the ones you need to replace.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The valves do not bend because the piston hits them square on. It mushrooms them.

Its usually pretty obvious which valves hit by the marks on the pistons.

Edit: Whitedog beat me to it and said exactly what I said. Creepy....

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Not creepy. It just shows that we spend alot of time here absorbing the information.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I typed a response earlier, but deleted it becaue your avatar says '04 and the title indicates an '03. Which is it?

I bet when you tear it down the water pump is not seized. I've seen a few TBs with stripped teeth and the Water Pump was just fine.

If I went to the trouble of removing the head, I'd replace all Exhaust valves and guides as well as any intake valves that may have made contact.

I'd replace all the lifters as well, maybe the cam if it shows damage. I know the general thought is to replace the cam and lifters as a package. But, with the IDI engines that had the solid lifters, the cam did just fine with a "new" adjusting shim.... never saw any issues there, ever!

You mentioned valve seats, unless something was flying around in the cylinders, I'd say the seats are just fine. Of course, new valves need to be lapped........ another debateable topic!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Low mles/km for an '03/04. Which is it, as Andy noted? '04 had bad cams anyways, so no sense not replacing the cam if '04. '03 cam maybe OK, but for $125 is it worth re-using?
Had the TB and WP ever been replaced prior to this?
Exhaust valves for sure are damaged, or some of them. Close inspection is needed and if in doubt, replace.

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the posts.
It's a 2003. (Have a 2004 also)
This is what happened.
My wife was driving it and it started making a noise. She pulled off the
main drag, went a block, turned down street, backed out a drive, and up to a stop sign where it stopped. I arrived and tried and it, made no unusual noise. I checked the belt and saw the dreaded fibers. Towed home. Removed timing belts, water pump, etc. pump totally seized. Belt had every tooth stripped off. Belt was still on and tight. I removed the cam shaft. I was hoping the valves would be ok, because, I bought a 2002 parts engine(a year ago) that had a broken belt. When I tore it down all valves look perfect but one that has a slight imprint in the carbon. All lifters are mushroomed though. (I took photos of the tear down. Also also what caused the belt to break.)
This 2003 engine has not near the damage of that 2002 parts engine. And this engine I would have only replaced the lifters. Thats why I thought it might be ok, but I do not want to take any chances. I assumed the the hydraulic lifters may have absorbed and prevented serious damage. I will remove the head to check the valves. But I am still not sure how to recognize a damaged valve. My parts engine shows only one valve slight imprint, the others no visable marks, but the lifters show definite impact.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the lifters are/were visiblialy (?) damaged the valves are not OK. They don't bend since they hit straight on they compress/fatigue the stems and fail later.
Your '02 with "perfect" valves aren't perfect-at least not all of them.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Note what Andy said above:

If I went to the trouble of removing the head, I'd replace all Exhaust valves and guides as well as any intake valves that may have made contact.

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
OK, great advice. If in doubt replace, if you don't know for sure, ask the experts.
Engine rebuilder says to resurface the head, takes off about 5 thou. From my previous na/rabbits/ golfs the advice back then was never to plane a diesel vw head. This engine rebuilder says he has never heard that before. Any new schools of thought on resurfacing the tdi heads?
Valves- what line of valves should I be looking for? Are some brands better than others? The engine builder can supply them, after market, or I supply them.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, great advice. If in doubt replace, if you don't know for sure, ask the experts.
Engine rebuilder says to resurface the head, takes off about 5 thou. From my previous na/rabbits/ golfs the advice back then was never to plane a diesel vw head. This engine rebuilder says he has never heard that before. Any new schools of thought on resurfacing the tdi heads?
Valves- what line of valves should I be looking for? Are some brands better than others? The engine builder can supply them, after market, or I supply them.
Send the head to Franko6 on here. It will be done correctly with oem/better parts. That way you won't have to second guess what kind of job should be done. He is the top head guru. I was very pleased with work and knowledge he has.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Wild guess, I've had at least 20 VW IDI (1.5 and 1.6) heads milled. Yes, the Bentley says not to or something like that. Also, beyond my personal experiences with the IDI engine, I know of (wild guess) at least a 100 heads that were milled....

I believe the Bentley said that warpage beyond 0.004 would render the head non-serviceable.

The issue with milling a warped head affects cam journal alignment among other things. If the head is being milled just to remove scratches, blimishes, etc., I doubt cam journal alignment would be a factor. Frank has discussed this issue at GTGs as well as TDI Fests/

I know of one ALH head that was milled beyond spec by a guy who just flat made a mistake. So, disregarding specs, the valve seats were cut, the valves were cut and the valve stems shaved to make the head serviceable. The last I heard, the engine is still purring in the 1998 NB.

I agree with JettaWreck .............. send it to Franko6.