What did you do to your MKIV today?

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
I put fuel in it.....and tied my personal best @ 5.4l/100km. Also checked the oil lol...level was still good, usually only needs topped up every third fill. This is number two and im changing the oil next week

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
As someone that is 21 I am kind of obsessed with TDI and turbo cars in general. I can relate seems like when I talk to a lot of people my age they keel over the second I talk about any mods other than my radio with Bluetooth haha. People my age only care that it moves has ac/heat and they can connect their phone for music. Yet all of them want nice cars and when they see a modded one think its awesome, but have no interest in learning about or maintaining their car. Sure hard to have a nice / modded car when you can't take car of it.
Haha, yup. I've had my share of friends like that, although I'm a little less than double your age (and really became a car enthusiast when I bought my TDI a week before I turned 30).

Or worse yet, met people who thought modded cars were awesome, got mods, and then started breaking things because, like you said, they don't know how to take care of it, maintain it, or that you cannot get 100% max HP/torque 100% of the time (someone in my family actually destroyed the engine block in an older Mercedes AMG by constantly driving over 180mph in it more than he should have).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Did a ventectomy on the Desert Jetta today and then filled it up. Prior to this I was getting 500+ miles per tank of rural country driving. Never went low enough on fuel to cause the light to come on. Typically I would refill tank when needle started drop below 1/4.

It will be interesting to see how much addition range this will provide.
It usually gives you an extra 2 gallons, and if you fill all the way to the top, figure about 2.5 gallons extra, give or take. So if you're averaging about 40mpg, this is about an extra hundred miles. The best I've achieved with my BEW (and this mod) was 740 miles, but that was on rural interstate highway.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Blue-Tinted-Heated-Mirror-Glass-For-VW-Golf-Bora-Jetta-MK4-Passat-B5-99-04/371892653540?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Arrived in about 2 weeks, very well packaged. At $22 I thought
well worth trying. Fitment was perfect, I like the results.

Cheers,
R*2

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Blue-Tinted-Heated-Mirror-Glass-For-VW-Golf-Bora-Jetta-MK4-Passat-B5-99-04/371892653540?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Arrived in about 2 weeks, very well packaged. At $22 I thought
well worth trying. Fitment was perfect, I like the results.

Cheers,
R*2
Perfect, thanks. There's a lot of sellers out there and I'd rather buy from a known place.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
After sitting in the box for 14 months in my garage, I finally got around to installing the AirLift kit #80753 in the rear of my MkIV Jetta Wagon and plumbing them up to the fuel filler area. Then I hitched up my 5x8 (3400lbs GVWR) utility trailer to the wagon and started doing maintenance on it... After cleaning up the contacts on the 5 pin plug and cleaning a few grounds, the lights are all working, including the HFT LED stop/tails (with 5000+ miles on them). Once the lights were legal, I dragged the trailer to Home Depot to buy some steel angle to build a small aerodynamic tail gate (to replace the 4x5 galvanized mesh ramp I intentionally left in Maine last summer).

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
In anticipation of turning over the 2002 Jetta ALH to my daughter, I've been going over some routine and some not-so-routine maintenance items....

Safety Inspection - 2 new front tires (Falken Ziex ZE950), and an outer tie rod end.

Replaced a bad glow plug
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
new MAF a week ago
lube door hinges

next up ... oil change (Rotella T6 5W-40) and filter
new fuel filter

Apart from a non-working A/C (bad coil) the car is in pretty good mechanical condition, and has been very dependable.

Brakes are recently done, so the only major work on the horizon is a timing belt replacement in the next 10-20K kms.

The odometer just rolled over 498,000 kms.

Drive more, worry less!

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Bought it! 2004 Jetta wagon with 5spd. Mechanically it's very sound with all the major mechanical pm work already completed and no rust. Just a few little mechanical issues (and a planned suspension refresh while I'm on my honeymoon later in the year) and it'll be good to go. A good top to bottom detailing and it'll look like a million bucks. It has the typical Mkiv interior issues (sagging headliner and ripped drive seat bolster) but I can live with those things until I can get them fixed hopefully in the spring of next year. Though if anyone has a grey or black leather interior they want to sell I'm interested!

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
For the first time in 14 years of owning MKIVs, I installed the cabin filter cover correctly! Despite having replaced 2 timing belts, 2 turbos and a transmission myself, I've been installing this stupid filter cover incorrectly since day one. I was never able to get the tab under the hinge mount without breaking it (did that twice but luckily it's only an $8 part 1J1-819-537-C-01C) and always ended up leaving it under stress over the hinge mount instead of under. But it bugged me every time so I finally did some more searching and found good instructions that also verified that the tab is supposed to go under:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?968305

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Pulled the headlights out of my Golf to put on glass lenses (while I'm in the midst of putting the new fenders and bumper back on), only to find that one of the top tabs on the driver's headlight is broken:mad: Fished out an old housing from the blue Golf (PO had installed euro lights and gave me the old beat up headlights), only to find that one of the bulb housings is broken- they're replaceable, so it seems, but I'd have to perform surgery on two lights (original one from my car to remove a good piece, and the broken one in the replacement headlight). Got to thinking that I might pull out my plastic welder and see if I can't just weld the broken tab back on.

On a brighter note (no pun intended!), refueled the blue Golf. Could have recorded another 800+ mile tank but was in a hurry to get somewhere. 52.8 mpg; and this is with an on and off heavy foot. Didn't beat the wife, though, who just rang up 53.9 mpg with her last tankful in her Golf.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Finally figured out my turbo problem, it was lagging and then spiking with my new nozzles. Got a HF vacuum tester, a mityvac clone, and adjusted the actuator arm on the vacuum "solenoid".
It was set to hit the stop at 25"hg, could it have been an automatic thing? Whatever, now set at 19"hg and the car is boosting smoothly from 1800rpm, throttle response is much improved, and the VNT15 is kicking my dyno butt in a most gratifying manner.
With IQ at 6 and SOI at 2.4, car's running strong. I did set the IP to the top of the timing line, I'm tempted to crack it back a bit, but I'll be doing a highway run next few days of 400 miles. See how the FE is doing. Hoping it'll be up around 50.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Had a set of ContiPureContacts installed, alignment checked good! Ready to go!

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
This past Sunday with the cruise control set at 60mph and AC on, all of a sudden my wagon started losing speed. I pull over to check things out and engine was shaking badly. I think I drop a valve or something. This happened right at 370k miles, I had the car towed 94 miles home.

bajan

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
Yeah, really sucks and speaks to a fear of mine. I can do all the PM and take great care of it, and then something random happens. Keep us updated. Sorry to hear about this.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
New tires, rear brake pads and rotors today and plan to polish the headlights either later today or tomorrow.

Got lots more planned in the next two months to make it a great little car. Suspension and steering refresh (nothing crazy - just OEM arise feel with better then OEM components), new headliner, leather seat repair, Bluetooth stereo head unit, and DG Panzer plate and FMJ. Plus I'm finally breaking down and buying a good set of tools since I plan to do as much of the work as I can.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Changed the engine oil and auto-tragic transaxle oil (well, the part of it you can anyway) in my wife's New Beetle. Did that last night, in my driveway. Surprised a big skunk who seems to think his normal route should include my house. We disagreed on that, but luckily he backed right off and did not leave any gifts.

The worst thing about the night was the 200 different flying insects that crawled all over me. And of course, the itchiness left behind by the ones that had liquid refreshment at my expense. I suppose I should be grateful that the lacewings didn't chomp on me, and the deerflies had already gone to bed!

Cheers,

PH

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Changed the engine oil and auto-tragic transaxle oil (well, the part of it you can anyway) in my wife's New Beetle. Did that last night, in my driveway. Surprised a big skunk who seems to think his normal route should include my house. We disagreed on that, but luckily he backed right off and did not leave any gifts.

The worst thing about the night was the 200 different flying insects that crawled all over me. And of course, the itchiness left behind by the ones that had liquid refreshment at my expense. I suppose I should be grateful that the lacewings didn't chomp on me, and the deerflies had already gone to bed!

Cheers,

PH
PH, why not get one of those portable garages people use for painting cars? Eastwood carries ones that are pretty cheap and erect in a few minutes (poly sheet). Will keep the critters out!

Something like this (you may have to add a sheet if only the front of the car is in there)

http://www.eastwood.com/homeright-large-paint-spray-shelter.html

Last edited:

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
New tires, rear brake pads and rotors today and plan to polish the headlights either later today or tomorrow.
Back in December I bought a pair of plastic headlight covers from Ebay for $25 shipped. Fit great, look great. Putting the headlight in the oven on low for 5 mins helped soften the caulking. Still look brand new.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Any vehicles I paint that have any rust it isn't worth the effort to cover. I just do it immediately after a hard rain in the driveway. Occasional bug, but nothing that won't pick off.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

Tsiah

TDI
2000 Jetta
New tires, cleaned the interior as much as I could before dark, safety and registered my new to me 2000 Jetta. Changed the engine oil today. Got stuff to clean up and protect the headlights and I'll probably get to that tomorrow. ��

casey823

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta sedan, 2002 golf tdi
Did timing belt kit, got the timing on injection pump "dead on" according to vcds. Some how got lucky on initial belt setup and it was at 44 degrees, but was fun to get it moved the 2 degrees to 46. The car feels a lot better now than before the belt change(never checked pump timing before belt change)may have been a little retarded before. I also replaced worn lower control arms, ball joints and inner and outer tie rods and got the car aligned. Wow does the car drive so much better now. I also replaced the large cooling fan on the radiator, as the other was toast. I also changed the oil and fuel filter. I am looking forward to many maintenance free miles.

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Installed my EGT and boost gauges. I've got nothing but good things to say about the Glowshift elite 10 series gauges. The color options, peak recall, high alarm are nice to have compared to some of the other "cheaper" gauges on the market. That being said the Auto meter 20020 gauge dual gauge pods are trash. They rub the steering wheel and you have to remove the nice trim piece under the cluster to install it. I had to take 1/4" off the front of mine to slide it back far enough so the steering wheel wouldn't hit my gauges. Crap, junk, Garbage product.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Over the weekend my MkIV was the recipient of a Rear brake pad refresh that went horribly wrong. Fortunately, $20 and a trip to the u-pick yard allowed me to saws-all the broken caliper in half to extricate the borrowed tool to get my $130 deposit back for said tool, and drive to work this morning with a functioning vehicle with new rear pads...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Golf Swap

Drove out to Western MA to swap cars with my son. His (silver) has a few minor issues that I'll address myself and with Kraftwerke. Still drives nice, however.

600K miles total between the two cars.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Upgraded the Golf with a factory fresh rear axle beam. The bushings in the existing beam were shot, the brake lines were rusting and there was not a lot of paint left on the beam after 18 New England winters. Here's a picture of the beam 7.5 years ago:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=271144

Replaced it with a beam that has the thicker 21.7mm sway bar, installed Seat Cupra bushings, new brake hard lines, new hubs/bearings, stub axles, ABS sensors, larger brake splash shields (for future larger brakes), new heavy duty parking brake cables and swapped the 15" Avus wheels for 16" Montreal wheels. One of the existing Koni STR.T shocks was leaking oil and no longer functional so replaced with Koni reds and new Suplex wagon springs).

Bled the brakes twice with a power bleeder but they still don't feel totally solid so need to do that again. Also still need to adjust the parking brake and get the wheels rebalanced (noticed that some wheel weights had dropped off while the wheels were stacked in the garage but couldn't figure out which wheel they came from - doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in Costco's tire department).

Last edited: