700 miles a tank club by accident

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
With a busy schedule and driving in the dark I realize the fuel gauge is pegged on the E. I drove for 10 more miles and filled my New Beetle with 16.2 gallons (726 miles) back to the top of the filler. I did a search and didn't find any answer for sure on how much was left but I was still running smooth. My fuel light has always been on for years so I have no warning others would have. Anyway, it is good to know that I can go that long on a tank even at 45 mpg.
Is the Jetta tank the same capacity?

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Dang that is like the entire tank you filled. Unless you are vented then there was probably a little bit left.
I will never get past 600 because I always fill up at a 1/4 tank. Actually my highest to date is 565 on a tank before it bothered me too much and I filled it.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Dang that is like the entire tank you filled. Unless you are vented then there was probably a little bit left.
I will never get past 600 because I always fill up at a 1/4 tank. Actually my highest to date is 565 on a tank before it bothered me too much and I filled it.
Ditto here, the consequences of running an ALH dry are not worth risking IMO. Once I hit 1/4 I'm looking for fuel. When I first got the
car I did run it till the warning light came on, as much to check it to see if it worked, and to see how much fuel it took. I managed to squeeze in 15gals. That gauge starts dropping fast when it hits the lower lines.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
For the last fill up on the 04, I went 9 miles with the LFL on and I was hypermiling the whole way to the fuel stop.:eek:
I managed to squeeze in 16.46 gals, 670 miles

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Just want to note that I have Ultragauges in my cars (except my newest one- apparently Ultragauge "wired" aren't available right now). I know what the current FE is. If I do the same basic driving then it's very predictable on how far I can go: warning light coming on means I have 1.7 gallons left- of course, one is not going to get everything out, but with an average of 50mpg I have been pretty safe assuming that I'm OK running 40 miles post warning.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
i took the vent button out so the max gallons are right on from each fill to the top. Never will i intentionally plan this risk again but the range is good to know just for the record. I can determine a pretty consistent mpg with my driving style, speed and the car i drive. this car has bigger injectors with no tune running fast and hard but still gets a solid 45 mpg. But with no warning light knowing i have a 700 mile general range is helpful in a bind.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
As a reserve reserve, I've been known to throw a 2 gal tank in the back.
Planning a cross country trip next spring, I'll be sure to have it along.