2007 GMC Canyon TDI Project

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Switched to my summer rims/tires. They are a bit bigger than my winters. RPM vs. speed seems to be in a nice location. Little over 2200RPM at 114KPH (71mph). Not sure I would want it running lower than that yet.

My torque converter is set to lockup at any speed after 60kph. This shot shows engine pulling nice at 1300 rpm @67kph. Roll on torque from this rpm is very solid as boost comes up almost instant when the engine is loaded like this. FMIC is also doing a great job cooling. Seems to hold under +10C over ambient in 20+ psi loading.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Reworked the exhaust today. Cut out the gasser muffler and added a 5" dia. tip out the back right side. Was indecisive about what I was doing for a muffler so put a temporary straight pipe in. After test drive tonight I have decided that was a mistake. The 16V head on oversize turbo, full boost and no muffler is ridiculously loud. Much louder than my PD was with the 3" straight pipe. (or I am just much older, lol) Pretty sure they could hear me in the town a mile away. I will work on getting a high flow muffler I have here put in place of the temporary pipe section. Power is pretty good with new tune. If I go WOT in 1st the wheels squeal pretty good, same when it shifts into second. This is with an LSD diff so it is both wheels breaking loose. My 5 cyl could do a break torque but that was it. This definitely tops the 3.7 for drivable power.

Cruising at 120KPH. I changed my cluster a bit. Can view Lambda and rail pressure now. The MPG gauge is not working so ignore the reading. Lambda is running around 1.4 at this speed.

Acceleration from 120 to 150 is pretty quick. Cruises at 150kph with lots of pedal to go. You can see on gauge that AWIC is working really nice. 18.9PSI boost, intake air at 20C. Ambient temperature was 6C, so about 15deg C over ambient. AFR moves down to 1.1 range at this speed. Rail pressure is up another 2000 psi to 21,692.

Last edited:

scoobysmak

TDI
N/A
I must admit, very impressed. I was told the CR swap pretty much couldn't be done and you not only get it running but use an auto transmission from a different vehicle. I just want to run a manual, but the ECU and wiring harness seems to be the elusive creature I can't find for the CR swap.

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
I must admit, very impressed. I was told the CR swap pretty much couldn't be done and you not only get it running but use an auto transmission from a different vehicle. I just want to run a manual, but the ECU and wiring harness seems to be the elusive creature I can't find for the CR swap.

You can use the EDC17CP14 ECU from '09-''14 cars. Mine is a 2010 engine/ECU from a Jetta. I sent my ECU off to Malone for a tune and immobilizer delete, then cut down and made the wiring harness myself. When done, you can run the engine with just the ECU as standalone with no other modules. Wiring harness takes some time and effort though.

Another option is to get the ECU and harness ready to go. I don't know if anyone else does them yet aside from who TDIsyncro used, but he can get you info on that route if it's not in the thread already.

Be sweet to see more common rail swaps though! I know vw_nut is working on one, using the DSG too.

nate0031

TDI
96 B4 Passat
Awesome to see the truck on the road. I might have to consider a dash like that. Gotten many numbers for fuel economy? Taking it to TDI fest this year? Lol.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Hey Thanks. I appreciate the comments. The biggest hurdle is having a good tuner that will work with you on a project like this. Its a bit of a hassle for them as just selling standard tune packages is a lot easier work and money. There were some moments when I was questioning my decision but I am definitely glad I did it now. I still have some changes to make but its getting close. As mentioned above..I used EDC17CP14, mine was from a European 2008 Audi A3 TDI. There was a guy on this forum wanting to dump his CR motor, ECU and harness for cheap..he gave up on TDI swap and went to a Cummins 3.9.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Awesome to see the truck on the road. I might have to consider a dash like that. Gotten many numbers for fuel economy? Taking it to TDI fest this year? Lol.
I have only gotten three tanks in. Between being at work a week at a time and trouble shooting I have not driven it a hole lot. When I was in limp mode my combined fuel mileage was in the 35mpImpg. My next tune after that with good power and good lambda was 42. That was mostly careful driving and 75% highway/25% city. My last tank was 34...but I was driving at WOT lots, very smoky tune, straight pipe, and driving too fast. I discovered it does good donuts! :p Smoke runs well into 2nd gear. :D If I get some spare time this year I will use it for getting my race car running. Its been too long on that project.

nate0031

TDI
96 B4 Passat
That's great mileage numbers so far. I need a bigger turbo too, lol. The 450HP A4? Cannot wait to see that running.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
That's great mileage numbers so far. I need a bigger turbo too, lol. The 450HP A4? Cannot wait to see that running.
Yes the 450HP A4. Me too! lol

I should also point out the reason for the smoky tune was experimentation. My idle is turned down to 750RPM to reduce drag on torque converter and there is just no power until I am back at around 1100RPM. I was seeing if extra fuel would help pull it out of that torque hole. Turns out it does not. Next step is a torque converter with a much higher stall speed and back to a clean tune.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Project Update

Have been putting some decent mileage on it this spring. Now that the temperature is warmer fuel mileage has gone up. Last two tanks average is 44.4 mpg, based on imperial gallons. Averaging around 115kph on highway. Strong winds eat into mileage and can pull it down to 38 mpg. Have hauled my riding mower and dirt bike with no change in fuel mileage. Would like to put air ride on next summer. I will drop ride height when on highways..should be good for a few more mpg's.
Bought this:

Its a 7" Lenova Tablet. Bottom of the line model but perfect for permanent cluster. Does not require SIM card or wifi for GPS and other features to work. I will do a permanent mount in the dash and that should end my messing around with the cluster. I have all the software I want on there now and it will never see the internet again...so I do not have to worry about it getting laggy in 4 years time like all my other tablets and smart phones that update all the time.

New torque converter in hand. Will do install in two weeks.

This weekend I am building a removable rack for hauling stuff. It will fit around the truck cap (if I want both on at same time). It has removable center section at the back for loading motor bikes. Will have some features for strapping down lumber, canoes, ladders and will have option for supporting really long stuff like 16foot gate panels. I am using 1-1/2"SQ HSS so I can put some good weight on it. Will post pics when done.

One more thing. Picked up a second turbo for this build. This new turbo will become my LP turbo on a compound set-up. Not looking for big numbers. I want strong torque from idle for trailer pulling but also want to get up to around 250-260HP. I think the combo I have in mind will work well for this. Will start building a second manifold in the fall and will have it ready for a bolt-on in the spring.

Last edited:

nate0031

TDI
96 B4 Passat
What turbo did you pick? I'm strongly considering a similar setup.

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf 2dr (SOLD), 09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Damn... I want a truck like this. I have the truck & the tdi engine (mind you it's not a CR but a brm) however i lack the cnc friends for all the custom mounts & the tuner... Sigh. Awesome build tho!

I've looked over the posting from start to finish ... Lots of questions however one main one that im curious about.... How did you get the engine to bolt up to the transmission from the canyon ?

Err so a lightbulb just went off... Sbc... Small block chevy bell housing is what i need hah. Question is for what size TC.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Sorry for late reply.

yes, SBC bell housing. However, I uses a 4L60e from Chevy Silverado. The 4L65e in the canyon has an odd input shaft length. I wanted a standard set-up. My adapter is a one off I design myself but there is a guy on here that sells adapters now for less than what mine costs. It clocks to many angles too. :D

Damn... I want a truck like this. I have the truck & the tdi engine (mind you it's not a CR but a brm) however i lack the cnc friends for all the custom mounts & the tuner... Sigh. Awesome build tho!

I've looked over the posting from start to finish ... Lots of questions however one main one that im curious about.... How did you get the engine to bolt up to the transmission from the canyon ?

Err so a lightbulb just went off... Sbc... Small block chevy bell housing is what i need hah. Question is for what size TC.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Project Update.
I switch to a GTB2056V turbo from Grande Cherokee engine. It was a new turbo that I was lucky to get my hands on for cheap. Tune has been adjusted. Its a smokey tune. no lies. ;) I am not changing it because I expect it to improve when I through a set of custom cams in along with a bit of head work. I am running 31psig boost. Probably around 220-240 BHP/400 ft-lbs (?). Truck smokes the tires really easy with the big torque. Launches from intersection are amazing with the 2500 stall torque converter. The turbo itself has a funny back entry on the housing. I debated chopping housing but then decided to leave it alone and rework log manifold. The results are very good. Workmanship is not my best but I was really pushed for time.

Offset reducing coupler & nipple welded to outlet.

Log manifold modified. I am using 1-1/2"sch10 stainless pipe off backside.

everything fitted in place.

had to customize the standard bracket for some reason. nice fit now. Custom stop screw and bracket at the bottom end. The standard CBEA/CJAA turbo actuator works with the GTB series turbo on topside, no problems. It does not work top side on GTA. Opening and closing of vanes are opposite direction between the two series of turbo. I also shortened the actuator arm on turbo down to about 3/4" c/c. Actuator does not have enough range on standard GTB arm.

All done and driving. Harness and hose situation is a mess. Need to spend a week doing a clean-up. Probably next summer. I am switching to black Audi project now!

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Do you know what the trim is on the compressor for this version of the gtb2056v?

Wondering if it's the same as the GTB2056vk out of a 3.0L TDI Audi Q7, or if it's the lower trim compressor people have called the GTB2056VL?

What sort of boost are you hitting at say 2000 rpm? Any idea on weight of the truck?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Do you know what the trim is on the compressor for this version of the gtb2056v?
Wondering if it's the same as the GTB2056vk out of a 3.0L TDI Audi Q7, or if it's the lower trim compressor people have called the GTB2056VL?
What sort of boost are you hitting at say 2000 rpm? Any idea on weight of the truck?
trim is 60. A/R is 0.51. Number on Turbo Serial Plate: A6420901680 764809-47 S/N LDG01984 F

It pulls hard at around 1400-1500rpm (around 15-17PSIG IIRC), climbs to full boost around 2500 rpm. I will check if I have a current VCDC log. It can spool to full boost sooner but it is too close to surge line if its tuned like that. You have to remember I also have a torque converter that help loads engine and that probably brings the boost up sooner than manual. If I do a 2500 RPM launch, it is a full boost launch..but then I just spin and do not accelerate.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Hey Thanks. I appreciate the comments. The biggest hurdle is having a good tuner that will work with you on a project like this. Its a bit of a hassle for them as just selling standard tune packages is a lot easier work and money. There were some moments when I was questioning my decision but I am definitely glad I did it now. I still have some changes to make but its getting close. As mentioned above..I used EDC17CP14, mine was from a European 2008 Audi A3 TDI. There was a guy on this forum wanting to dump his CR motor, ECU and harness for cheap..he gave up on TDI swap and went to a Cummins 3.9.
This is what I am up against with my mk2 GTI CJAA swap. Limp mode issues are preventing me from enjoying it. Pulls like a train in lower gears but gets flaky in higher ones...maybe the tuner who you worked with can help me out?

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Oh yes. I've read horror stories about people getting Canadian vehicles through to the US.
I know a lot of used trucks have been leaving my province and the province next two mine for the last three years. They were being bought by dealers in the US because of the exchange rate. I guess its much easier for car dealers to move stuff around, especially if it factory original.

ben2go

TDI
none
I know a lot of used trucks have been leaving my province and the province next two mine for the last three years. They were being bought by dealers in the US because of the exchange rate. I guess its much easier for car dealers to move stuff around, especially if it factory original.

It's probably easier for them.