2005 passat wagon tiptronic issues

BigDaddyKane78

TDI
2005 passat TDI
hello all, supernoob here.
I've bitten the bullet and bought a used '05 passat TDI wagon with 122k on it. It drives like butter, but I've noticed that the tranny wants to stay in manual shift/tiptronic mode when I reverse and then go back into drive, or if I select drive after being in the manual shift mode. I have to shift back into neutral and into drive sometimes multiple times to get it to stay in Drive mode rather than remain in manual gear select. Ive had the car for all of 3 days so may have hit some button I'm not aware of-bloody germans, always making things overly complicated- I've read somewhere that this could be a shifter magnet issue. the tranny shifts super smooth and has no issues upshifting/downshifting and I have no error codes on the dash......any ideas?
Cheers

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Best way would be to scan the car with VCDS and check the range selector readings in the TCM - that way you would know for sure if the range switch is reading correctly.

Also, (IIRC) not all transmission codes will set a CEL in the dash - there may be codes stored as well.

Lastly, as it is a common issue, check under the passenger carpet for water intrusion. The TCM sits under the front passenger's seat, and is a common place for water leaks to cause issues with the TCM.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Sounds like it's time to contact Frans for a manual conversion ;)

VCDS is also $200 now for the consumer grade tool, which works on 3 VINs.

BigDaddyKane78

TDI
2005 passat TDI
if my wife would learn to drive standard I wouldn't be having this convo. I dislike intensely driving an automatic, but it is what it is. this has been an ongoing argument in our household-standards are cheaper, less complicated and bypass all the notorious issues VWs have with their auto trannies.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Sounds like it's time to contact Frans for a manual conversion ;)

VCDS is also $200 now for the consumer grade tool, which works on 3 VINs.
if my wife would learn to drive standard I wouldn't be having this convo. I dislike intensely driving an automatic, but it is what it is. this has been an ongoing argument in our household-standards are cheaper, less complicated and bypass all the notorious issues VWs have with their auto trannies.

Speaking of which, mine will be going in soon thanks to Frans! OP if you go through troubleshooting and end up having an actual bad trans/torque converter and need one lmk :D