Popping sound from front end

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Well doing slow turns, I am hearing a popping sound from the front end (driver's side I think). Any idea as to what it may be? I have not installed the skidplate for sometime, so this time around I know its not that :p

bballr4567

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Best way to fix this? I get this noise when backing up and turning at slow speeds. My skidplate is tight and torqued down. Ive checked pretty much everything else I can and it all looks good.

It is NOT doing it over bumps, just slow speed turns.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
when you turn the wheel, a bearing at the top of the strut assembly has to be able to turn the strut freely. If it is binding in anyway, you'll have all sorts of noise.

I changed them twice in 120k on my 02 Golf, and the 04 took a set when I bought it. It is a common fault. Just need to replace the bearing and maybe the top bushing at the same time.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_66&products_id=371

(no affiliation to vendor)

bballr4567

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I figured that is what it was. I had an 01 Grand Am that had the same problem and the strut mount went bad on it and it popped like a mofo. You could put oil on it and make it better but the only fix was the replace it. It was a PITA procedure though because you had to remove the whole strut.

I tried to look on vortex for a how to but it seems almost all are dead links. :(

bballr4567

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Ahhh thanks. Still learning my way around the site.

My struts look like the first picture in the how to so Im guessing they are shot. Not really looking for the car to be higher though. :lol:

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
My car does not clunk when going over bumps and I just had the both strut bearings replaced less than a year ago! Err. I wonder if this has something do with my 17's I use in the summer and revert back to the 15's in the winter? Suspension is all stock, 300 kms.

1heavyfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG
Do not rule out the fact that one of the upper strut bearings you replaced within the last year did not go out on you as this happened to me.

I had the same problem with the popping noise while turning slowly (parking lots, etc) and it was one of the strut bearings. I put a new one in and it fixed the problem for a few months. Then it started up again and I had to replace the same bearing again. Second time was the charm and now it has been fine for the past two years.

EVONELLY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Touareg TDI
I had a customer install the Upper Strut Mounts upside down. After 1 month he ruined the bearing and it was also making the same noise you described above when cornering.

Hey, u never know.:)

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Had both upper strut mounts replaced (again) and all is good. The guru said that the shaft in the middle was super rusty and corroded, so it required a decent amount of quality lube this time around.