VW Paint/Rust Protection Option

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Execline
Just bought a 2013 Touareg Execline.

Has anyone had VW apply their paint protection to their vehicles? Or should I pay a bit more and go to a professional shop that specializes in coatings instead? Anyone have the electronic rust device? Is that a waste of money? Does it work? Or should i go for the spray on coating instead?

Located in Canada, lots of salt used on the roads.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
They're all a waste of money for a consumer, or a source a massive profit margins for the dealer. Depends on what side of the fence you are on.

If you're concerned about the salt and brine applied here in Ontario, I would get the car undercoated. I use about 3-4 cans of T40 rust inhibitor every year, and the underneath has no rust. Do not (IMHO) get any holes drilled into rockers for the purpose of spraying rustproofing inside.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
had electronic rust thing...huge scam....if you feel it needs it id say under coat it....as for coating id say if you wanna spend money id expel it...or ceramic coat it

TDI
From everything I’ve been hearing, I’ll be declining these dealer options. I’ve always thought the electronic rust prevention has been a gimmick. I’ve also been talking with 2 people I know throughout the day, who runs their own shops specializing in paint correction and applying ceramic paint protection coatings and the other a certified installer of 3M paint protection films who installs for local Audi and Porsche dealers as well as lots of other customers with high end vehicles. I figure I’ll save my money at VW, spend a bit more and get a far superior job done by people who professionally do this sort of thing every day.

TDI
Yeah I hear ya. I think normally it’s about $700 for a 2 coat application of the ceramic coating, and you have to do a maintenance wash about once a year. However that 2 coat application should last 2 years if maintained, or you can get up to 4 coats I believe that could last 4 years. as opposed to whatever the kids in the back at VW will do which will only last 3 or 4 months and then cost you another $300 for VW to reapply. As for the front protection, the track package he offers (Hood, fenders, a/b-pillars, bumper, headlights, fog lights, roof strip above windshield, mirrors, and rocker panels/side skirts, rear trunk ledge) retails for $3600 with 10 year warranty. So yeah, definitely not cheap.