Where to buy mechatronic unit

Codyusaf

TDI
2006 Jetta Auto
I’ve looked online and it seems ECS and a few other genuine VW parts catalogs offer the mechatronic a unit for sale, about $1100-1500. Is there a company that offer rebuilt or remanufactured units at a lower price?
Does a new unit need to be programmed to my car?
If a new unit needs to be programmed what version of vagcom will I need? Can someone please provide a link?

If I were to get a unit from a junkyard would that need to be programmed?

I’m very comfortable with replacing the unit myself so I’m not asking HOW to.

Thanks,
Cody

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They come with the TCM and software already onboard. You just need to do the initial calibration basic settings routine after installation of a new unit.

I am not aware of anyone selling rebuilt ones.

There are several different versions that are matched to the transmission's 3-digit code. BRM cars have a choice of two different transmissions. The dealer can get that info by VIN (assuming the original transmission is in the car) or you have to remove the mount under the battery tray, as for some mysterious reason VAG decided to place the 02E DSG's number under there on the transmission case.

Why are you replacing it?

Codyusaf

TDI
2006 Jetta Auto
2006 1.9 TDI DSG (two pedal)
I’m replaci the DMF soon. (Parts on order)
Not sure if this is directly related or what.
Starting from a stop, car won’t shift past 4,000 rpm about 20 mph when hard on throttle. Release throttle and car acts normal. After trans gets hot there is erratic shifting/vibrating about 50-60 and when at wide open throttle.
Are these all related to a bad dual mass flywheel? (Again parts ordered)
Or a bad mechatronics? Bad MAF? Turbo?
The car doesn’t lurch into first or reverse. Nore does it have a harsh 2-1 downshift.
But it does seem to have weird 3-4 shift (I think this is the vibration at 50-60)

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
You need to invest in a VCDS. It will be the best 200.00 you spend. You can start with error codes. The DMF will cause vibration to a certain extent, depending how bad it is. Dont throw parts and money until you diagnose, other than the DMF, its a consumable wear item on this cars. There should be codes from what I understand on the DSG's when the mechatroics start to crap out. Those codes, usually point to solenoids. I would not buy a used one, unless they have a solid guarantee that provides cash back and not yard credit, unless they have a lot of these sitting.

You need to pull the codes to start with the basics. Other issues on these cars are the chaffing of the wiring harness and loose grounds. Plenty of threads on the forum to search for. Cannot state enough, spend the 200.00 on the VCDS. You also need to factor in the Timing Belt- when was that done? Pull the VC and check the cam lobes. Tighten cam cover, assume that the whole back of your motor is covered in oil ;-) everyone of the used BRMs I have had all had leaky covers ! This is not in context to your complaint, but a preventive measure. No receipt with defined labor, assume you need to do a belt , waterpump and Tstat.

If you are pulling the DMF, replace the thermoplastic coolant part on the side of the head. You have easy access and its a great investment and solid time to do it. As others have mentioned in other posts, look at the heater hoses for softening. Check the play on the turbo while the trans it out. Check the harness - unwrap and inspect each wire down by the starter. Clean your grounds (behind headlights, under airbox, next to battery and under cowl) Those are all good preventive measures that will help you have a solid car, IMHO.

These cars can suck up some time and money initially, but when all of the common wear crap is resolved, you have a solid car that is fairly cheap to maintain. Be thankful you are mechanically inclined. Go get your VCDS and start pulling codes.

Last edited: