Bmw 2.4td

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
this is where I had to stop for the season:

https://youtu.be/ZW3stIR2X84

cranked for a whole morning and got nothing...played with the timing but that didn't really change anything...and just for the record the three bracket bolts holding the pump in the back ARE A PAIN IN THE ARSE! holy tight access...anyways - we were about to throw in the towel and toss her under a tree for the winter and my dad decided to try one last thing...he used a blow torch to heat up the intake air and low and behold - it fired up pretty much right away....once the engine warmed up a bit it started firing right away so I guess the glow plugs are a little suspect...I know the controller is working so I might have a few faulty plugs

the engine still smokes like crazy at idle though and I have no fuel in my injector return lines...no exactly sure what is going on there

anyways I wanted to drive the car this year but it'll have to wait for the spring...here's what needs to be done:

- remove gas fuel pump and filter and replace fuel supply lines
- fix up shifter - currently seized from lack of use
- turbo and intercooler - got an Hx30w sitting here that would look good with that engine
- finish wiring (fairly straight forward)
- mount alternator and hydraulic pump (may need to redo the engine mounts)
- exhaust
- oil cooler and lines

so nothing really major - should be a lot of fun when finished...

Last edited:

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
nop...fresh supply...last week I had everything hooked up through the tank but thought maybe that was the problem so I got the lift pump hooked up to a fresh jerry can of fuel...

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
sun is shining, birds are chirping and we're expecting another 10 cm of snow in Canada :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

time to roll the 724TD in the garage and figure out what the hell is going on...

took the intake and fuel lines off so I can verify the pump timing properly...it looks like the static timing is correct based on the timing marks and pump pin so will get the gauge in today and verify the pump...

in the meantime I discovered the cables on the injector with transmitter are completely done and it's not offered anywhere...I wonder how critical that is?

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
played with it a little today so assuming I got the procedure right the timing is at:

played with the pump adjustments as per the manuals...don't think the cold enrichment valve (or whatever it's called) was working very well

good thing I took a few hoses off - this one would have given me a headache pretty much immediately

trying to figure out what this is sitting on the side of the pump:

and since I have everything off anyways figured I might as well sort out the cables now that the EGR is removed since most of this mess is EGR related anyways

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
hmmm...didn't crank a whole lot today... :(

guess the Ford starter gave up today - gotta source a new one tomorrow...man I really want to get my hands on the BMW accessory bracket...the Lincoln brackets ARE MASSIVE! otherwise I'll have to make my own to put up the alternator and PS pump...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, that looks like a fuel cutoff solenoid to me too.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
hmm...it has another one at the back of the pump though - anyways I`ll put power up to this one as well to see what happens...can't find it anywhere in the literature...there's some sort of fueling advance for cold start valve - maybe that's what that is...

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
got a somewhat decent idle after redoing the pump timing, cleaning up the cold start valve and adjusting the idle screw a bit....also got a brand new starter in there - still a very hard start though even after I cycle the glow plugs a bunch...it drains my battery in no time so I have to always jump it...yesterday after a cranking for a bit it finally warmed up so it stopped glowing the plugs and was starting after a few cranks...

the big problem now is all the smoke...I played with the smoke screw a bit (*** is this stamped ring on top of it - can't remove it) and got the fuel dropped at idle but that just ruined how smooth idle was - it didn't kill the smoking...I did take the screw out though to try and deal with the locking ring and noticed that the inside of the pin (the tip anyways) was a little rusted so I`m starting to think maybe the pump just sat for a very long time and will need a few cans of diesel purge to get everything ticking again...maybe the injectors are dirty too?

thoughts?

https://youtu.be/P-swKrAOunE

in any case the engine is starting a little more reliably now so I`ll push on with the rest of the setup...not much left

- radiator fan and drive belt
- alternator and hydraulic pump mounts
- a few wires to get the engine starting from the inside
- transmission selector cable
- fuel supply from the tank including new fuel filter etc
- new oil radiator to replace the ugly and bulky Lincoln unit