Headlight Bulb

GreenHornet

Hi, how do I replace the head light bulb on the left side in front of the battery? I have a 2001 Jetta TDI. I do not have a service manual. Do I need to remove the battery first?? And is there anything special I need to know about the bulb?

Mike H

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Comfortline
GreenHornet.
I just did this today. It's a pain (helps if you have small hands) but is do-able. After the cover is off (2 Philips screws) remove the white wire harness. Then remove the reflector cover (held on with two clips which are hinged). Then you can see the rear of the bulb. Remove the wires to the bulb and release bulb by turning locking ring CCW. It would be easier if the battery was out but not necessary.

~Mike

jmur

Veteran Member
It may help a lot to first practice on the passenger side, much easier, to get a feel for how everything works.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
Originally posted by GreenHornet:
And is there anything special I need to know about the bulb?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes. H7 bulbs cost only 7.49 at Advance Auto Parts, vs 13.99 at AutoZone and NAPA.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
you need to first remove the cold air induction system that sits just ahead of the battery. it is held in place with a few phillips screws. Remove the two-piece plastic cover and you will then have access to the rear of the headlight assy.

Pay close attention to the routing of the hood release cable before you take stuff apart. The path is kind of strange.

Be prepared for skinned knuckles and don't touch the glass part of your new bulb. Pay attention to the installatoin of the plastic covers before you pull them out.

JohnW

Best to remove the battery retaining bolt and just move the battery a little sideways (NOT remove the connections) Easy and gives a lot more space (still not enough tho!)