Potential handling mod: Mk5 rear suspension swap

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
So, I just got ETKA 7.3 installed and updated to 862, and thought I'd share something that I found, after suspecting it for a while.

The Mk6 GLI rear suspension is the Mk5 rear suspension. I haven't verified everything in ATP yet, but there are only two parts that I can find that are specific to the Mk6, just looking at parts prefixes (1K0 is Mk5 Golf/Jetta, 5C0 is Mk6 Jetta) - the left and right wheel bearing housing (the spindle), and that could be because of brake requirements.

Once I get PDFCreator fixed on this machine, I'll post up some PDFs of this.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'll note that any comparisons I make will be to the parts that ETKA says are correct for a GLI. Older parts may actually work just fine - I suspect that if you walk up to a 2005.5 Jetta, drop the rear suspension out of it all intact, and then lift it straight up into a 2011 Jetta, it'll work adequately.

http://bhtooefr.ath.cx/files/ETKA-2011-JEM-IRS-Rear-Axle-Beam.pdf

This is the central rear beam. ETKA shows that it's also used on late 2006 and newer Mk5 Jettas, including wagons. Something to watch for is that 4 of the bolts are different between PQ35 cars and the Jetta - the bolt numbered 3 on this PDF. However, dimensions are the same, it could be a production revision.

http://bhtooefr.ath.cx/files/ETKA-2011-JEM-IRS-Control-Arms.pdf

Here's the actual suspension components that bolt to the rear beam.

So, a list of what to watch for, here:

#13, Track control arm, rear upper: 2009+ cars only, it looks like.
#16, Wheel bearing housing: This is Mk6 GLI specific, it looks like. A Mk5 part may work, but you run the risk of causing other problems, there.
#18, Bolt, hex. hd. (combi.), M14x1.5x115: This is normally used on 4Motion cars. The same part on Mk5 FWD cars is only 95 mm long. I'd guess that the wheel bearing housing mandates this, based on the ETKA diagram.

http://bhtooefr.ath.cx/files/ETKA-2011-JEM-Shocks-Springs.pdf

And here's shocks and springs. This is mainly component selection, you may want to mix and match in the parts bin or with the aftermarket to pick what suits your car the best, although there's a few different parts listed... keep in mind that the Mk6 cars are about 100 pounds LIGHTER than the Mk5 cars, IIRC, when doing your suspension tuning. (Then again, the IRS might add some weight back in.)

#16, Rivetted cap nut, M6/0.5-3: This is a 2009+ Passat CC, 2010+ Golf, and 2011+ Jetta component. Weird. It's an NLA part on older cars, and I think may be part of the lower control arm? Not sure.
#17, Stone guard: This is also NLA on the older cars. Maybe it's not actually available for them, and the cap nut attaches it?
#18, Bolt, hex. hd. (combi.), M6x12: Same deal.
#19, Rivet, 8mm: Ditto.

Last edited:

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
yep. mk5 Jetta IRS will fit the mk6 Jetta. Jim from Diesel Geek was telling me something similar when we were in the process of getting my panzer plate installed.

Honestly unless you are planning on racing the Jetta the rear suspention its not that bad. Having said that if you come across a used IRS from junk yard for couple of hundred dollars then it wont be bad.

marc77777

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf GTI black/black
Honestly unless you are planning on racing the Jetta the rear suspention its not that bad. Having said that if you come across a used IRS from junk yard for couple of hundred dollars then it wont be bad.
That's one thing i've always liked about volks, you can unbolt something from one car and it fits another with very little issues, however, I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to do such things. :)

...and you're right, the suspension really isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, plus I have 2 baby seats in the back, no racing for me.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'm not saying that the stock suspension is bad, for the duties that 99% of people on here will use them for.

I'm just saying that, if you want better, better is an option.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I wonder how much better the IRS is than our setup. I do agree that it has gotten blown out of proportion overall. (not accusing OP of this) Through the slalom the MkV and MkVI are pretty darn close. Maybe it would of been a slightly bigger gap had the MkVI had IRS.

marc77777

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf GTI black/black
I'm not saying that the stock suspension is bad, for the duties that 99% of people on here will use them for.
I'm just saying that, if you want better, better is an option.
My comment wasn't necessarily aimed at you, there have been other posts where people have mentioned they wouldn't but this car partly because of the suspension.
I personally think you're info is informative and some orthers on here will be very interested.