Is there a How to Replace a Headlight Bulb?

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
I have the Battery Out, the Battery box out of the way. There is a Connector above the Box that has 2 snaps that need to be removed to get into the Bulb Section there is Connector just above that, that is in the way. How do I get this Connector off? Just love the connectors on the TDI 2000 Jetta's. Do you lift or push the release on that Connector? Thanks for any help, trying to get it done before it starts raining and snowing

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
They are easier to break than get out. Tabs push in not out.

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
It has never been off in over 9 years. Walla, it did snap off like a good little connector. Thanks Now, how do you get the bulb out
do you swist the connector or what?

Last edited:

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
Well, it only has 96,000 miles, I am sure that helped. The other one is still working, wish it had gone out instead of the driver side one/

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I always swap em out in pairs anyways, also having no DRL's helps too.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Baldy_54 said:
It has never been off in over 9 years. Walla, it did snap off like a good little connector. Thanks Now, how do you get the bulb out
do you swist the connector or what?
The connector pulls straight back off the bulb, then turn and remove the plastic lock ring to release the bulb. Bulb seals with an o-ring, may have to wiggle and pull to get it out.

Simon

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
P2B said:
The connector pulls straight back off the bulb, then turn and remove the plastic lock ring to release the bulb. Bulb seals with an o-ring, may have to wiggle and pull to get it out.

Simon
Thanks Simon, and don't forget that the bulb is KEYED to the headlamp housing so it only goes in one way.

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
Mission Accomplished only about 2 hours. Thanks for all the pointers. I wish I had come back in the house for some of them as I did run into a couple of the snags. Right it only goes in one way you said it.

Thanks for all the Canadian Help, good thing it is cold and they are on the computers instead of out braving the cold.

Last edited:

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
I just finished intstalling a brake bulb, piece of cake, wish the headlights were as easy. Now I am ready for the passenger headlight bulb next. Hmm, maybe it will be good for another 9 years.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Yea, those connector tabs snap right off sometiomes, but the plug still seems to stay connected without them.

--Nate