BRM PD Power Options

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
Does anyone know what I would have to do to get my 2006 Jetta TDI to around 160hp? I'm looking for specific upgrade routes, prices, people to look for, advices as to whether to wait for something that's going to come out soon, etc. I bit the bullet on some REVO tuning last year (as tuning was the only advisable upgrade at the time), only to find out that Kerma's Q-Loader came out not too long after... and REVO only does stage 1 for the TDIs. I saw some news on intakes and turbos that would soon come out for the PD engines and also Kerma's super stealth pd turbo is no longer available on his website, so I guess I'm not up to date with what's what... and I thought I'd ask on the forum.

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
You're in Washington and want 160 horses? Drive north to Kinetic Motorsports- you might find yourself satisfied with your numbers as is...

In all seriousness, though, there's not much in the way of Dynos for the North American PD platform that exceeds 150, although it ought not to take too much to break 160, there's just no evidence of an "absolute" path to getting there. Dynos are slowly trickling in for BEWs and BRMs, though. It's either be patient or blaze the trail yourself.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I'd be tempted to think you could get there (or damn close) on software alone but getting the power to the ground is another issue entirely. What transmission do you have?

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
It is the 5 speed manual, which the dealership just resealed up cause apparently these things like to leak from the assembly line... the funny explanation that the service manager gave me is that the sealant container was running out when my transmission was getting put together, but judging from the many cars with the same problems on this forum, I tried not to laugh at him. Especially since the first time I brought it in, I explained the problem and he decided to torque the drain plug instead. Second time, he gave me the same explanation I gave him the first time (tranny is not sealed properly).

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Where in Washington are you?
I also have a 2006 5 speed TDI. I drag race it regularly, and have been able to cut my 1/4 mile times by over 3 seconds faster (or quicker) than my stock times. My favored tuning method is the DieselPower tuning boxes. I have the DieselPower Digi-PD wired pro-box for my fueling increase and the DieselPower TPC unit that allows me to set my boost pressure.

As for the actual numbers, when my car was stock, I ran the 1/4 mile in 19.5X seconds. With my current set-up with both boxes, I have a best time of 16.37. As far as dyno numbers go, I have one that came out to be 168HP and one that came to 137HP. These two numbers are very far apart, and they are with the same set-up. So either you can average the two and come up with about 150HP or so, or just take the lower number. I choose to go by my track times. :)

I've had the pleasure to use the Q-Loader on my car for a couple of days. It's a really nice tune, and if you go that route, I'm sure you would be happy with it as well. It's not as aggressive off the line as my tuning boxes, but the power is very smooth. With the Q-Loader, I would highly recommend getting a custom tune. I found the tune it comes with is lacking enough boost to really make the car scream. So, when I had it, I paired the Q-Loader tune with my TPC box and was impressed. However, the tuning box set-up that I have felt to be a more aggresive tune and when I'm racing, I want that kind of power.

As far as price goes, the Q-Loader was right around $700 for the PD's when I was using it. Don't know if the price came down at all by now. I believe that a custom tune for it would cost extra, but I could be wrong about that. The DieselPower Digi-PD tuning box is $615 and the TPC unit is $265. Those prices are quoted from here: http://www.mrdeezmotorsports.com/DieselShop/TDI.htm

Mr.Deez is one of my racing sponsors, and I've referred many people to him. Those people have come back with pretty good feedback as far as his customer support/ service. Give him a call and he will be able to talk to you some more about your options.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your car...:cool: :D

~Sarah

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
btw, just in case this hasn't been said yet:

Jetta-Girl is awesome. Not only is she a girl that drives a TDI, she's one that WORKS on her TDI, and MODS it! As if that's not enough, she then DRAG RACES the snot out of it putting up impressive numbers.

I like her and I don't even know her, but way to go Jetta-Girl!

JoeHafner

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta 2014
andreigbs said:
btw, just in case this hasn't been said yet:

Jetta-Girl is awesome. Not only is she a girl that drives a TDI, she's one that WORKS on her TDI, and MODS it! As if that's not enough, she then DRAG RACES the snot out of it putting up impressive numbers.

I like her and I don't even know her, but way to go Jetta-Girl!
I will second that!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Here's an alternative suggestion. Get a VNT-17 (from me, of course--shameless plug), PD150 injectors (impex had them, might still), and have Jeff Robertson (Rocketchip) tune your car with RC4, which he is developing for the PD He predicts 180/325 from this tune. Also, open up your exhaust and (maybe) your intake. Add a 3-bar MAP and you're good to go.

I've driven a MKIV PD with a 17 and it's a great turbo on this car. And the one I drove (RC3) was very strong. The BRM has more potential because of improved electronics, FMIC, and so on.

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Here's an alternative suggestion. Get a VNT-17 (from me, of course--shameless plug), PD150 injectors (impex had them, might still), and have Jeff Robertson (Rocketchip) tune your car with RC4, which he is developing for the PD He predicts 180/325 from this tune. Also, open up your exhaust and (maybe) your intake. Add a 3-bar MAP and you're good to go.

I've driven a MKIV PD with a 17 and it's a great turbo on this car. And the one I drove (RC3) was very strong. The BRM has more potential because of improved electronics, FMIC, and so on.
Do you have a VNT17 set-up that will bolt on to our BRM engines? I've heard that the bolt pattern on our engines is different than the earlier PD's.

(or some other turbo upgrade?) I'm looking to improve my car's power before next race season this coming February.:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I may have jumped the gun on this: I do recall the exhaust flange might be different. I'll ask Jeff this weekend when I see him. I know he's installed 17s in a couple of BRMs, but I don't know what he's done to make it work.

If you really want more power, I will also have 17/22s for PDs shortly.

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
I may have jumped the gun on this: I do recall the exhaust flange might be different. I'll ask Jeff this weekend when I see him. I know he's installed 17s in a couple of BRMs, but I don't know what he's done to make it work.

Yeah, we should talk...;) :D Let me know what you find out.

I <3 My TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI PD
IndigoBlueWagon said:

I would like more info too:cool:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The turbo arrangement in the Mk5 has the turbo rotated 180 degrees on the backside of the engine compared to how it was in the Mk4. (Instead of being below the manifold and with the compressor facing outboard, it is now above the manifold with the compressor facing inboard.) I know of no original-equipment VNT17 on a VW-chassis car that was arranged like this. The Mk4 turbo manifold and arrangement will probably bolt up to the cylinder head, but you'll have to change *everything* about how the intake and exhaust systems are routed. Personally, I'd rather keep the Mk5 intake and exhaust routing because it's way more direct than how the Mk4's had it.

BUT ...

you can always talk to Kerma about a VNT20 with a custom manifold with the Mk5 arrangement, or anyone else who has the ability to make a custom turbo manifold and set up the turbo to suit, and deal with the P-D vane position sensor somehow.

I wouldn't try approaching 160 horsepower with the stock KP39 turbo. The KP39's have been pretty reliable in more-or-less stock or mildly tuned cars, but I know one local PD owner who made one go ka-boom because of a 30 psi boost spike.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
One other thing that's not been mentioned in this thread yet: Don't forget the driveline!

You need to lose the DMF flywheel and the stock clutch for sure.

If you plan to do hard launches off the start, you had better put in a stronger limited-slip differential and probably stronger halfshafts and CV joints, too.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I also highly recommend an LSD and clutch. I broke the dmf with just a chip and blew out my spiders on the second pass with my new injectors at dragstrip a couple of weeks ago. I got lucky with only a 1/2 in diameter hole in the tranny case that I was able to weld closed. A peloquin is definitely going to be my next mod.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
osomphane said:
Does anyone know what I would have to do to get my 2006 Jetta TDI to around 160hp?
If 155 is around 160 all you need it G60/VR6 clutch and RocketChip Stage 2. Plus boost gauge and boost valve. It works for me.

blackout06

Veteran Member
Sicily cant wait to get back to Seattle WA
TDI
2006 jetta TDI US spec
30psi boost spikes are good enough to make the turbo blow huh? id definetly be hesitent on pushing boost much past 22-23 then because as it stands now stock set up im holding 16psi and in 3rd gear if i go from 1500rpms and put my foot in it after sitting low in the rpms i can watch the gauge jump to 20psi every time...