Strange Shutdown Noise Coming From My TDI

gabe92

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey Everyone,

I'm a long time reader of this forum and owner of a low mileage 06 Jetta TDI. I noticed a strange sound coming from my engine bay today that I haven't heard before and was hoping someone could help me try and identify the root cause.

Once I turn the car off, there is what I would describe as a spinning/abrasive sound that happens right at engine cut off, then stops when I let go of the key, then returns a final time about 2 seconds later. I was able to repeat this 3 times today, each time the same exact thing happened.

Other than the sound at shut off, I haven't noticed anything wrong with the car, starts right up, runs fine.. has boost etc..
I took a video that captures the sound, linked below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Es-Q9VUc0-g6nFSud7MQtdD9qCsK_pD/view?usp=sharing

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
That's a cute and annoying sound The first think I'd check would be vacuum hoses. It might be related to the ASV.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Check engine light on at all? Could very well be the plastic gears in the "throttle control module/valve" are stripped. Basically an electronic version of what Mk4 guys call an anti-shutter valve.

gabe92

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
crazyrunner, Matt, thank you both for your replies.

I hooked up my basic ODB scanner to see if there were any codes but nothing came up. No check engine light on the dash either.

If it is the ASV, is there any harm in me driving it until I can get it to my mechanic? He's a bit far from me so it usually winds up taking up the whole day.

I took a better video of the noise, I can hear more of a plastic gear grinding now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IgVFkXOGSRAzupXkhjf9hcKYVP8jpB7p

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
That definitely sounds like the ASV, you're very close to it in that video. And it sounds like what Matt describes. Below is what it should be doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxUYTTde9sU

It's not hard to remove that hose in order to see if it's functioning. Matt would be the better one to answer what would happen if you drive like that. I would assume you could unplug it and it remains in the open position, but I'm not 100 percent.

gabe92

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey Everyone,

Thank you again for all of the help! Wednesday of last week the check engine light finally triggered. I grabbed my cheap ODB scanner and sure enough, the code was: P2112 - Throttle Actuator A Control System - Stuck Closed (AKA the ASV)

Luckily, the car kept driving for the rest of the week and made the long trip to my mechanic. The car has a new ASV now, running happily again!

Major thanks to both of you for helping me diagnose this! You're the best!