better oring for turbo inlet

hodizz

TDI
MK5 tdi (BRM)
ive replaced 3C0129646 green oring 2 times on the turbo inlet and its still leaking is there any better oring i could use? any input would be great

Mad_Max

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta 5sp
I'm curious too.
I just replaced one since I had it take apart while chasing a coolant leak. Even after I put a new one in I still see some oil drips.
If there is a better option available, I would like to see it.

Max

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Yes please!! *** there has to be a fix for this. My undercarraige is an oily disaster of a mess because of that stupid pipe dripping oil everywhere. Honestly, this ranks in my top 2 annoyances with this vehicle. The cam/DMF issues aren't even in my top 2.. T_T

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
While I agree that is a common issue, that is pre-turbo, so it isn't a boost leak. The leak comes from normal crankcase vapors being drawn into the air inlet.

Usually it isn't enough to worry about, but in some cases it can seep enough to ruin the heater hose.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
That's the outlet isn't it? You don't get that ring on the intake? Not the centre hole but the lower one, the pipe comes off and heads to the IC? I reckon the metal of the actual pipe end has worn down to much so a new seal just wont do it any more.

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
While I agree that is a common issue, that is pre-turbo, so it isn't a boost leak. The leak comes from normal crankcase vapors being drawn into the air inlet.
Usually it isn't enough to worry about, but in some cases it can seep enough to ruin the heater hose.
A boost leak test would just demonstrate that the turbo inlet coupling isn't airtight (at the minimum), which is part of the problem. Why that seal is so poor, the world may never know. Bottom line is that it's unacceptable. I can understand some sweating/weeping, but it just gets all over the place down there.

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
it is pre turbo but after maf... so wouldnt that affect things..or am i wrong..
The potential for unmetered air entering the turbo is so small as to be insignificant IMO with regards to running condition/performance; but that doesn't excuse the poor design.

Last edited:

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
That's the outlet isn't it? You don't get that ring on the intake? Not the centre hole but the lower one, the pipe comes off and heads to the IC? I reckon the metal of the actual pipe end has worn down to much so a new seal just wont do it any more.
Looky here for verification OP is correct
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296295

To bl00tdi
I had mine off recently( the plastic adapter on turbo for plastic flex hose from MAF)and I believe the way the part is made there is plenty of material in there to cut another groove for a second o-ring part #3C0129646. Would be an easy set up in a lathe to do so.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Ah is this one of those turbo damper things? The plastic thing that bolts on to the turbo itself? It has an o ring inside that sits against the turbo facing?

That is one place I wouldn't have expected a leak due to it not being under pressure.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Yes. Yes I do. I bought 100 viton o-rings with a slightly different total diameter and cross sectional diameter. I have been installing them regularly. It's a tight fit. You have to give it a forceful twist as you push it on but it feels very snug once it is wrapped all the way around.
I can't remember the size off the top of my head but ill have a look when I'm in the shop tomorrow.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Stock size: 45,3X3,5mm

Is 45mm the ID of the o-ring?
yup, looks like 45mm ID.

Last edited:

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The size I'm using is 4x45mm. I'll have to look in ETKA again to see what the stock size is.
I purchased this size after reading your post but couldn't get the elbow onto the turbo, no matter how hard I tried. I lubed the o-ring and turbo itself, nothing. I'm no bodybuilder but not weak either. Any tips? :eek:

Edit: The ones I purchased were Viton. I wonder if nitrile would have a bit more give to it..

Last edited:

runonbeer

TDI
They are very hard to get on. You have to sort of twist and roll it up onto the inlet. I used to lube with grease but now I just drizzle some motor oil on the o-ring and inlet.
It hurts my hands. I'm not a big strong guy either.

Have had multiple cars with this o-ring installed come back through the shop for other things and all are nice and dry at the inlet. I think it is worthwhile. Probably there is a size somewhere in between that will be easier to install but equally effective. I really just grabbed the size out of thin air.

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
They are very hard to get on. You have to sort of twist and roll it up onto the inlet. I used to lube with grease but now I just drizzle some motor oil on the o-ring and inlet.
It hurts my hands. I'm not a big strong guy either.

Have had multiple cars with this o-ring installed come back through the shop for other things and all are nice and dry at the inlet. I think it is worthwhile. Probably there is a size somewhere in between that will be easier to install but equally effective. I really just grabbed the size out of thin air.
That's what I like to hear! If they're still dry this seems like a permanent workaround, which I am all about. I guess I'll have to drink a red bull or my pre-workout drink before I attempt this again. Thanks for the input brother! :cool:

runonbeer

TDI
Just clear your mind. Know you can do it.

I find it helps to shine a light down into the inlet to give you an idea of what angle the inlet pipe is sitting at relative to the actual compressor housing, then just let your brain do the calculus.

Matt Carlson

TDI
13 Golf TDI
Or has anything else has been proven to work? For the BRM that is.

Last edited:

Matt Carlson

TDI
13 Golf TDI
BEWARE: I cracked my turbo inlet trying to force the bigger o ring over the turbo. I assume due to age.

I got it on and plastic welded it and epoxy’ed it so we’ll see.

runonbeer

TDI
Man I’m sorry to hear that.

Perhaps it is time for some repioneering here. As I said, I selected that o-ring size rather on whimsy and I agree it is really too tight a fit to be very useful. I am not sure which dimension to alter or by how much. I think it will just take some experimentation preferably by a single person to eliminate the subjectivity of installation difficulty. Then it would also have to be determined whether the newly chosen size is effective.

I am no longer exposed to these cars on a regular basis so I’m afraid I’m out as a candidate

Matt I think you’ll want to go ahead and replace that cracked inlet with a used piece. I just don’t see how an epoxy repair could be reliable here. This would also give you the opportunity to try an alternative o-ring size :)

Matt Carlson

TDI
13 Golf TDI
Yeah I’m not sure. I feel like since it got over the lip of turbo the stress is now off.

It’s my sisters car so I’ll be watching it.

Optimally we would just need 45x3.75 which is right in the middle of stock and the original solution. But I’m yet to find anything between 3.5 and 4.