Do CCV Filters Prevent Intake Clogging?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
That is why I called TornadoRed to the mat on the subject.
Oh, is that what you call it?

I wrote about what I saw, which is basically nothing. In the "easy-to-see" locations, there was less dirty oil than there was 20k miles ago.

You pointed out that there can be crud built up in areas I can't see very easily. That's possibly true. I'll have to check.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
Have you decided how often you're going to change the filter in the ProVent?
Based on the design "duty" (350 kW trucks) I think it will last at least 50k but what I should do is measure the backpressure at various mile points and extrapolate to the approx 1 psi that causes the over pressure valve to open. (The valve is in the provent cap.)

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
Oh, is that what you call it?
It was meant in a humorous light, sorry if it wasn’t taken that way.

Because the only way we can tell for sure the amount of clogging is to look post EGR valve, I still would like to here from someone that has removed their EGR valve for inspection/cleaning prior to adding an after market CCV setup, and now has x number of miles on it with the new CCV and has removed the EGR valve for comparison.

For me, this would be about the only way to know for sure the degree to which the CCV setup is or is not working.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
This thread has given me the encouragement I needed. I just called Reliable Industries and ordered a Mann Provent CCV filter. They had 10 in stock for $149.95 ea. My "Wingnut Style" hose-tee oil trap (similar to the one in this thread) has collected perhaps a teaspoon of oil in the past 300 miles, and the pre-tee line is coated with oil. The return line is clean so far, and the Mann filter will keep it that way.

My hope is that by running some kind of CCV filter since 1750 miles, I'll avoid clogging my intake entirely. I'll make sure all of you find out!

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
khale: go to home depot air compressor tool and check out the water seperator for air line. it look exactly like that one. there are selling for 25$.