oil filter quality

diesel steve

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4v
I did not know where to post this question. What oil filter is good and what filter is poor quality? I think many people use the Mann filter but I am curious about the Mobil MI-301,Purolator L30257 and Hastings LF-517. I have read some negative things about the Mobil and Purolator filters. The stamped spring at the bottom that holds the filtering material instead of a coil spring like the Hastings has so all the oil gets filtered and doesn't get bypassed like a relief valve.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Most of the opinions on oil filters for the earlier cars were expressed a decade ago. My suggestion is to do a search, or review the old threads. The favored filters are the OE and OEM, including MANN, which previously provided filters for VW. The new ones might be an issue, but check country of origin and compare.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That doesn't mean the filters are equal in quality. I wouldn't be scared to use the Wix/ Napa gold oil filters(I use them on a lot of various equipment), but I'd avoid using a Purolator filter on my tdi unless it was a reboxed Mann or Wix filter.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just FYI, lots of filter companies just rebox someone else's product to fill in the coverage gaps for engines that they do not make filters for. And many off brand filters or house label filters are made by one of the larger filter companies. That said, sometimes they are not the same filter as they get made to a price point to get the business. And this changes over time, as companies get taken over, bought out, etc.

I've been in the business long enough to see a lot of these changes. Wix, a popular brand over the years with many people, never made anything for a Volkswagen themselves in house. They just reboxed something else. Usually it was an OK filter, but perhaps not as good as some others. But now because Mann owns Wix, any Wix boxed filter (or Purolator filter, another Mann owned brand) for a Volkswagen will just be an actual Mann filter.

Mann makes most filtration bits for VAG products, however Purflux, Mahle, and Hengst have also supplied filters, as has the newest company UFI, which is an Italian company but it seems most of their products are made in China :rolleyes: .

I would stick with Mann. They seem to be consistently good, and have served many of us very well over the years.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
For my car I buy VW or OEM supplier to VW.

For my wife's car (2.5L) I usually buy VW or VW OEM. I went to NAPA and bought a NAPA Gold brand, made in China. Never again. Another time I went to Autozone and bought STP brand, made in Korea. I would trust a product made in Korea.

My advice: If you can, remove the filter from the box and see where it's made. If possible look for anything made in Europe and avoid China. With VW and others now having plants and suppliers from China, this is going to get a lot harder.

:rolleyes:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I remember buying a Meyle fuel filter for my car from Austin Veedub. The box had some Germany text written on it, but the filter itself was marked made in China. I was a little disappointed, but the filter service was overdue, so I used it. It also looked to be of good quality.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
I like Hengst. Quality German brand. I remember a thread here showing many more pleats of filter media in a Hengst MK4 filter, than a Mann filter.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I've been using Hengst for years.

I've been looking for that thread showing the number of pleats but haven't found, it yet.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
X3 on the Hengst.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
For oil, I use Mann in my VeeDubs, Always manage to get them on deal to, more available then Hengst. For my Jeep GC CRD, was NAPA gold, made in Poland. But Just got a Mahle for under $4, made in Austria. Fuel Filters I use Mahle for VWs, best price,also made in Austri, under $14 although I did get a Mann from IdParts $10 on clearance, had to order little gaskets separate at another time. Jeep I use Hengst. Get for $20, much cheaper than Mann and others. Air, I use Mann.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Picked up 5 Mahle filters for the Alltrack made in Austria as well, it uses an O-Ring type seal around the center rod, where the factory filter which I'm guessing is mann, uses the filter media fused sealed end.

Either way in hind sight I could have picked up 6 pack of mann for the same price from Amazon I ordered 5 mahle filters from Autozone, but oh well.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
NAPA gold oil filter for b5 is made in Poland.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
FWIW all of the brands mentioned above have facilities in China. And as far as we can tell Hengst doen't make many of their own products for Euro brands.

Mann just recently purchased Wix. I don't know if they repackage Mann filters for Euro applications: we plan to continue to purchase Mann for VWs, and will add Wix products for domestic diesels. They seem to have a good reputation in that market.

Purolator tends to identify spin-on filters that are "close enough" for the stated application. Given a choice I'd pick Mann over Purolator. Mann also owns Purolator.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
At least the 20 Hengst filters (E154H D4) I have on the shelf are each labeled "Made In Germany".
Yes, but by whom? Re-boxing filters from other manufacturers is pretty common, and Hengst seems to do this more than other brands.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Yes, but by whom? Re-boxing filters from other manufacturers is pretty common, and Hengst seems to do this more than other brands.
From Hengst website:

"The particularly high vertical integration is what distinguishes Hengst from our competitors. From the preparation and refinement of the filter medium up to the plastic housing and the pressure cast component, everything is manufactured by Hengst."

https://www.hengst.com/en/filtration/production-spectrum/

diesel steve

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4v
A lot of interesting comments about filters. No one mentioned the Hastings LF517 or Fleetguard LF3451 or Donaldson P557780. I use to use the Purolator filter but have read some things that it used to be a good filter but it is made different now and not recommended. I have read that there are only a few factories that make filters and brands like Amsoil,Royal Purple and Mobil 1 are made by other companies to their specs. 100% synthetic are supposed to be the best for extended oil change intervals but there are very few filters made for this application that are. I change my oil every 10,000 miles and use the Rotela 5w-40 synthetic. I have not heard about the Hengst or Mahle brands. A lot of comments about these two brands and many seem to recommend them. What about the brands I have mentioned?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Considering that the original VW engines from the 25 hp to 36 to 40, etc., seemed to survive without an oil filter, I think about any brand is sufficient to handle the intended purpose. Keep the oil level at spec and change everything per spec and drive on! Surely at 370k miles, my ol' 2000 will make it to 500k.

Anyway, Mann is my choice when purchasing on-line. Locally, I buy Purolator filters.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Those with a PD engine can still get the originally supplied zig zag filter which is good for 2 oil changes or 30,000 kilometers. It is still available at the dealer and is sold for the v-6 passat. Part number 070 115 562 made in France.

Edit: My mistake, According to ID Parts (which only sell the Mann straight pleat): Oil filter for Volkswagen Jetta TDI on the A5 chassis as well as the MkVI Golf TDI. This oil filter will fit the 2005-2006 Jetta TDI with the BRM engine as well as the new 2009+ VW Clean Diesel TDI, 2.0L, engine codes CBEA and CJAA

Last edited: