What did you do to your TDI today, during the coronavirus shelter-at-home?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I checked the oil level on my daughter's TDI. Then I turned around and went back to
the 1963 Land Cruiser FJ40 refresh. Still plenty of projects to go on that one. ;)

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 4dr, 2000 2dr Golfs both 5 speed stick
No 1st 2nd Reverse

I bent the shifter cable (rightside) on my MK4 when it got stuck in 5th. Nursed it home with 3rd and 4th sat for a month bought (wrong) replacement so I bent the old cable back straight and took it for a test drive. Still the same. BTW its got all new shifter bushings. Any Ideas? :confused:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Not TDI related but close. I did a DSG flush on the GTI and new serpentine roller and belt. The shifts are smoother and the disengagement of the clutches at a stop is nice and smooth now. It was a bit jerky before. I noticed that I didn't get as much fluid out as I put back in by about 1/2 a litre. Perhaps the PO never had it serviced!

TDI plans are to pull the Beetle out and clean it up to get ready for sale!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I bent the shifter cable (rightside) on my MK4 when it got stuck in 5th. ... . Any Ideas? :confused:
I would first separate the cable ends from the shift tower out at the transaxle. Without any drag from the cables, you should be able to have a helper push in the clutch pedal and then shift to your heart's content at the transaxle. If you still can't get 1-2-R, then you know you have a transaxle problem. If it shifts in all gears OK (and you should be able to do this by hand) then you know you have a cable/shifter problem.

I have a spare shifter and cables, unless you find something better closer to home.

Cheers,

PH

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I got to use VDS-Pro to alter my 2004 Golf and mom's 2005 Jetta wagon, so the trunk latch can now be opened whenever the door locks are open. I don't know how I've survived this long without this feature!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Took it out and did some 0-60 tests.

7.79 seconds. Tested with an Ultraguage.

Tried to keep wheel spin to a minimum in first gear. The hardest thing with a stage 4 tune is getting traction to start moving.

I thought that was kind of lame, but then I looked up the stock time and it should be around 11.2 seconds. So it’s quite an improvement over stock.

Third gear is required to reach that speed, so I guess it’s not a bad time considering two shifts are included in the time. (Manual transmission)
Not bad. i brought mine up to 130 (gps actual) to clean out the exhaust and work the engine. (after the tire was replaced) not sure what my 0-60 time is with my 4500lb jsw with stage 2 tune and dsg tune. pretty stable at speed.
I'm impressed! I used PolarFIS to clock my JSW with a Stage 3.5, CP3 and CR170, and I think I got 7.9 seconds. I haven't tried it with the 6 speed.

I'd also be afraid to do that on my Golf, which is pretty much the same setup as yours, because I've had problems grinding 3rd and 4th. I'm thinking bad synchros. The last time I changed the fluid, it had a reddish-tint to it, so it's probably that time to change the fluid again and see.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Wired a spare P21W socket/bulb in parallel with rear brake circuit - with LED brake light bulbs - on the Mk4 Golf to (hopefully) eliminate the intermittent blinking glow plug warning light.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
had to replace a tire due to a sidewall cut. caused by a pothole i couldnt avoid. tire was only warn 1/32" from new.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I'm impressed! I used PolarFIS to clock my JSW with a Stage 3.5, CP3 and CR170, and I think I got 7.9 seconds. I haven't tried it with the 6 speed.
I'd also be afraid to do that on my Golf, which is pretty much the same setup as yours, because I've had problems grinding 3rd and 4th. I'm thinking bad synchros. The last time I changed the fluid, it had a reddish-tint to it, so it's probably that time to change the fluid again and see.

I agree with using fluid called syncromesh too to help your spotty shifting. I would change it ever timing belt service.

As for the reddish tint, was it cloudy too?

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)

Got some downtime at work today (since all the car washes are closed at home) and gave the old girl a wash and vacuumed the interior. She’s definitely not the belle of the ball anymore but she’s still got lots left to give and miles to go before she sleeps and miles to go before she sleeps.

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Flushed Brake fluid, Flushed Power Steering Fluid, installed new Wiper blades, next up is ATF..

Hardwired up an onboard 2A NoCo Battery Maintainer after the power hatch stopped working after a week w/out being driven.

Got Rawtek Cat Delete Downpipe and DPF/SCR Delete Midpipe sitting in garage, FlashZilla should arrive tomorrow.. if the weather holds out the next few days I'll apply that, then it'll be time to send the TCM off to get it restored to original programming.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
i washed and waxed it. apon waxing i realised that i have to clay bar it and buff the paint out. found a chip in the drivers door and a lot of surface rust spots. (caused my bits of metal contamination in the clearcoat) cleaned the interior and while cleaning the rear seats i noticed a broken thread in a seam causing it to seperate. (yeah im pretty thorough) I think my daughter might have picked at it at some point. not sure. So i got to contact my leather guy and see if he can fix it. The cornsilk beige cleans easily. Debating if i should change the fuel filter...

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Replaced the driver side wing mirror cap. There were some crazy high wind gusts on my way home from work Friday morning and the cap came straight off. Made quick drive out to my local U-pull-it junkyard and got a mirror cap off another TDI wagon. Most of the good stuff was already pulled off the motor and it was an automatic so I didn’t bother grabbing anything else.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Since this thread has gotten quiet...

I ran over a mattress a week and a half ago in my '04 Golf. Got enough money to buy some upgrades for my ALH (like a VNT17). Also discovered I have a blown exhaust manifold gasket in the Golf, so I took off the turbo and studs today, to replace with new studs, gasket and nuts tomorrow, assuming everything arrives on time.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Last thing I did was a last week, timing belt. Car is a 2007 Seat Alhambra 2L tdi

[/url][/IMG]

No idea how to add pics from your gallery but feel free to browse lol

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I don't know how many hundreds or thousands of your posts I've seen on this board, Seatman, but I just realized now that you probably go by "Seatman" here because....your car is a Seat.
(Takes me a while, but eventually I get there. :D)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This afternoon, I get to pull off the left front tire and wheel liner to try to fix the running light. Last year, some butthead neighbor backed into the front corner and popped the light into the fender well. Dealer tried to fix it when it was in for a CEL under the extended warranty.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Replaced what I thought to be a bad bearing only to find out that my CV joint is busted. Now trying to decide where to get a new CV/half-shaft from... Hmmm

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Use IDParts to get a new CV joint, replace that and motor on. Buying a new chinesium halfshaft from your FLAPS is about the most expensive thing you can do. Why? Because it will not last, may (if it is the long side) be out of balance causing harmonic vibrations that are unexplainable, and it will cost you more time and money to replace it after it breaks.

In all seriousness, don't throw out your old one, fix it instead.

Cheers,

PH

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Use IDParts to get a new CV joint, replace that and motor on. Buying a new chinesium halfshaft from your FLAPS is about the most expensive thing you can do. Why? Because it will not last, may (if it is the long side) be out of balance causing harmonic vibrations that are unexplainable, and it will cost you more time and money to replace it after it breaks.
In all seriousness, don't throw out your old one, fix it instead.
Cheers,
PH

+1

Just replace the cv joint with a quality aftermarket part

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
+1

Just replace the cv joint with a quality aftermarket part
What do you recommend? I honestly only want to fix it to sell it. I just got replacement oil burner for my tdi. Unless someone here wants it cheaper to fix it. I've thrown bunch of parts at it recently.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What do you recommend? I honestly only want to fix it to sell it. I just got replacement oil burner for my tdi. Unless someone here wants it cheaper to fix it. I've thrown bunch of parts at it recently.

If you get the replacement axle from idparts, it's like 80 bucks. I was curious how it worked and took the ball bearings out (don't do that). That aside, it's maybe a 1-2 hour job changing the boot/axle, and probably your cheapest option. Sure, you can get some cheap Chinese crap for the same price, but nobody knows how long it'll last.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Not exactly tdi related, but I got my "new" 1600cc dune buggy running great today. Some crap had plugged the fuel inlet on the carb. I haven't had this much fun with a vehicle in a long time. Took me a while to figure out reverse- not sure why, my more modern VW's require pushing down on the gear knob to engage reverse too.