When Did VW Change The Oil Capacity?

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I changed my oil today on my 12 TDI Golf the dealer sold me 5 quarts with the filter, said it takes 4.5 quarts. I first put 4 quarts and backed it off the ramps and checked the oil it was at the lower end of the dipstick so I added 1/2 a quarts but it still seem low. I'm going to let it sit overnight and check it in the morning. I looked at my owners manual and it states 5.8 quarts which I know is incorrect. When did they change it?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drain and refill in your car is about 4.5 liters. Total capacity may be 5.8 liters, but you won't get 100% of the oil out of the engine during a regular drain. See what the dipstick says tomorrow. They're not easy to read on these cars.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I drain and fill the CJAA at 4.5L every time. The gasoline engines can be 5L, or the later ones 5.5L.

I agree the dipsticks are not easy to read. You have to let the car sit for a quite a while to get an accurate reading.

I let the oil drain the entire time I am doing the rest of the service (rotating the tires, etc.) so it is well drained, and I loosen the filter from above before I drain the oil, so the filter housing drains as well.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I put in 4.5 and when I swap the element at 10K I just throw in the leftover and go another 10K.

4.5 and you are fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I checked it this morning and this is where it was from overnight. I ended up adding about 1/4 more and will check it again in the morning.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I'd run that with no worries, and if you do the conversion 4.5 liters is 4.75 quarts

Last edited:

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I'd run that with no worries, and if you do the conversion 4.5 liters is 4.75 quarts
Thanks... That's the plan. When I did the oil change I let the pan drain until it stopped. I didn't install the drain plug I removed the oil filter and i heard more oil draining. Not sure if you guys just install the drain plug then remove the filter?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Drain plug, what's that?

Always done it top side with an oil extractor and usually get close to 4.5L out. Which is the same amount the shop has put in the few times over winters they've done the service (from the bottom too).

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Drain plug, what's that?

Always done it top side with an oil extractor and usually get close to 4.5L out. Which is the same amount the shop has put in the few times over winters they've done the service (from the bottom too).
Call me old school but I rather drain the oil then have it sucked out. I feel you don't get it all out that way.