Hard start with sputter......

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
I bought two "Fixed" 2014 TDI sportwagens last month. Both have been running great until this week. My wife went to leave work and told me it took 3 key cycles to get the car started after sitting for 8 hours. It cranked and would sputter. It finally started and leveled off.

My car, same 2014 except for the color and being a manual. Went out to start it after sitting 24 hours. Took 5 key cycles. When I finally got it started it ran hard for 30 seconds and then leveled off.

We fill diesel at different stations at different times so I'm not convinced it's a fuel quality issue.

I called my buddy who owns a gravel pit and owns millions of dollars of heavy equipment. He seems to think that the cars, because they sat for at least 2 years after the buyback, may have algae growing the the fuel tank. He told me to run a shock treatment of biocide through them and get ready to change fuel filters every few days.

Both cars were CPO and supposed to have all filters changed. But, now he has got me thinking that the old fuel that sat in them for 3 years may have caused bacteria to grow in the tank which now is working it's way through the system.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I'm probably going to start by changing fuel filters first and see what happens. Odd that both cars are having the same issue.

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Could it be icing? It was 60 degrees with rain here on Friday morning. Friday night it dipped into the 20's (40 degree degree temp swing) and was pretty cold all day today. Low 30s.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Yep. That's what I bet it is... thanks man. Damn. Time to drop the belly pan and pull the hose.
Definitely kill that fungus with a good biocide. I personally always run Chevron and 2 oz of standyne per tank. My last TDI ran like it was off the showroom @ 225k when I sold it. I am spoiled though in Ca. whether. It amazes me how most of these TDIs end up in the coldest/wettest areas. They still seem to do well it seems with a few tweaks and properly cared for.

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Definitely kill that fungus with a good biocide. I personally always run Chevron and 2 oz of standyne per tank. My last TDI ran like it was off the showroom @ 225k when I sold it. I am spoiled though in Ca. whether. It amazes me how most of these TDIs end up in the coldest/wettest areas. They still seem to do well it seems with a few tweaks and properly cared for.
No doubt there is probably bacteria/fungus/algae growing in the tank from the fuel that sat in there for a few years. But, I think my issue is intercooler icing. I'm going to drain both lower charge hoses today and see what that does. I would hate to run biocide through the cars only to be forced to change fuel filters ever other day until they run clean. Also dont want to run a bunch of gunk through the HPFP if I can help it.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
No doubt there is probably bacteria/fungus/algae growing in the tank from the fuel that sat in there for a few years. But, I think my issue is intercooler icing. I'm going to drain both lower charge hoses today and see what that does. I would hate to run biocide through the cars only to be forced to change fuel filters ever other day until they run clean. Also dont want to run a bunch of gunk through the HPFP if I can help it.
How will you remove the growth?

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Well. I pulled the lower charge hoses on both cars. Almost no water came out. Pulled all the glow plus and cycled the engine a few times. No water shot out of the head.

I'm stumped. Any idea how much water would cause a rough start issue? Any other ideas?

Ktmracer358

TDI
2012 golf, 2013 jetta
The issue is once the idle smooths out the water is most likely been eaten by the engine and is now gone. Some people have had good results with doing a good wide open pull before parking and shutting down. Once the temp goes up in summer these issues will go away.

Sent from my REVVL 2 PLUS using Tapatalk

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
I'll ask the obvious question.... Did you let the glow plugs warm up before starting?

Last edited:

bmor89

TDI
2013 Golf
For what its worth, last November I had some very hard starts, had the "fix" installed and then had complete hydrolock in February. Dealership confirmed it was full of water.

I had some more hard starts a couple weeks ago and the dealership couldn't find anything wrong and said it's working as it should. Now this week I had a no start, and the car acted exactly as it did when it was sucking in water, but through the "VW Technical Service Center" the dealership performed a fuel retention test and discovered the car was below the low end of normal for fuel pressure (8-14 bar). They installed a new fuel line with a new fuel retention valve and claim the car is now holding 11 bar. I guess we will see what happens next. I only run Shell V-Power diesel, as I have found a noticeable decrease in the frequency of DPF regen cycles. Does anybody have a fuel recommendation? Could bad fuel cause this fuel retention valve to gum up?

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
For what its worth, last November I had some very hard starts, had the "fix" installed and then had complete hydrolock in February. Dealership confirmed it was full of water.

I had some more hard starts a couple weeks ago and the dealership couldn't find anything wrong and said it's working as it should. Now this week I had a no start, and the car acted exactly as it did when it was sucking in water, but through the "VW Technical Service Center" the dealership performed a fuel retention test and discovered the car was below the low end of normal for fuel pressure (8-14 bar). They installed a new fuel line with a new fuel retention valve and claim the car is now holding 11 bar. I guess we will see what happens next. I only run Shell V-Power diesel, as I have found a noticeable decrease in the frequency of DPF regen cycles. Does anybody have a fuel recommendation? Could bad fuel cause this fuel retention valve to gum up?
The only reason I think it's not fuel and probably intercooler icing is because both of my cars started having issues at the same time. The cars are filled up at different stations so I dont think it's a fuel issue.

I may just delete and move on from the issues. My understanding is that the EGR causes the intercooler icing issues

bmor89

TDI
2013 Golf
I've been considering what I'll do when it comes time for my DPF to be replaced... delete that and the EGR and risk what the future holds as far as emissions testing for inspections in NS, or sell the car before I get to that point. It's disappointing to think about because I do love the car, but $2500+ to replace the DPF is crazy to me. If I do that when my timing belt is due it will be almost $5k (Canadian dollars)

Last edited: