Porsche 944 TDI info and questions potential swap

Chanothemekhanik

TDI
Mk3 Jetta
Ok so I'm new here and so far I'm loving it. But a lil info about my idea here. Ive owned mult 944's. Love them to death cheap quick lil cats that handle like a dream. If you know anything about 924/944 you would know Porsche used a ton of Audi sourced parts nd did minor changes to them. Literally almost every part of the interior have vw or Audi insignia's. The only chassis that used an actual Porsche made gearbox was the 924 turbo or better known as the 931. The gearbox on every other 5 or 6 speed is Audi 016(5spd) or 01e(6spd). From info I've gathered the 944 uses a 25mm 23 spline input shaft these cars use a torque tube to deliver the power and the gearbox in the rear while engine is up front. Now from what I've read us that the 01e Audi sourced 6spd is same splines but off by one mm in diameter. Also the input shaft on the Audi is shorter by 25mm or so and doesn't use the same mounting. Also Porsche used I believe 100mm axle flange nd Audi is 108mm I might have those flipped. So here's my thinking. I kno Passats use fwd longitudal gearboxes for the b5.5 TDI. I don't kno if they are 01e 6 soeeds please confirm. Also I come up with zilch on eBay looking for fwd 6 speed TDI boxes unless I go over to UK and they are cheaper that the shoes on my feet and plentiful. now looking at the 016 and 01e the bellhousing are damn near Identical the coupler that mounts the driveshaft in the torque tube to the inout can be custom made that's no problem mounts are no problem and axke flanges are no problem this swap has been done before. But here's my question now. Does any TDI engine use the same bellhousing as the vw 07k i5 engine? My searches say the 07k uses an 01e bellhousing bolt pattern confirm? The reason I ask is because the engine in the 944 is made by Porsche and one off. But. There is a new kit out this year adapting a vw 07k to the 944 using there own custom Bellhousing. If they match then getting the TDI mounted in is one step easier.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
After having done a TDI swap and VR6 swap into a corrado I’d recommend the VR6 for your 944. The exhaust note suits the sports car essence much more. It’s not about power as there will always be more power but it’s about the RPMs and exhaust note.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
07k does not use the 01e pattern. I think it is similar, but not the same.

tims944

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2006 mk5 tdi-SOLD 1989 944 s2 BHW swapped
so i can answer some questions as i worked out a lot of the stuff for it...

in short, everything needs to be made if you want it to look nice...

the bellhousing you can buy that motorwerks or whomever makes is $$$$. but should fit.

the 01e style bellhousing is very similar most VW/Audi blocks have a multitude of bolt options, hence why a lot of the transmissions fit, and oil pans can swap etc. send me a PM and i can voice my information..